IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

Noticed this is coming out on the Switch. Made by the guy who did Retro City Rampage.

The trailer soundtrack is excellent in a John Carpenter way and it looks very similar to Retro City Rampage. Hopefully this one is better though, I found Retro City Rampage a bit underwhelming - maybe it was due it being delayed so long - but it felt like it was a missed opportunity as it wasn't really an open world game, just a series of missions. Still, I like the graphical style of this and it looks like fun. 

4 hours ago, moora said:

I'll definitely be getting mine craft, but not because I like it, but my 6 year old son loves it (the Switch is a joint birthday present for both of us, he doesn't know I've got it yet...) Oh and I absolutely despise Minecraft, but I still play it in 2 player mode to make the boy happy! Good shout out about the Now Geo games. 

I forgot a supposedly awesome game, especially if you have a six year old. Doesn't Lego City Undercover have a two player mode now?

7 hours ago, moora said:

Noticed this is coming out on the Switch. Made by the guy who did Retro City Rampage.

The trailer soundtrack is excellent in a John Carpenter way and it looks very similar to Retro City Rampage. Hopefully this one is better though, I found Retro City Rampage a bit underwhelming - maybe it was due it being delayed so long - but it felt like it was a missed opportunity as it wasn't really an open world game, just a series of missions. Still, I like the graphical style of this and it looks like fun. 

Yeah RCR felt pretty messy and it's a shame because they seemed to put a lot of effort into it. Hopefully they've learnt how to structure a game properly rather than shoehorning a million mechanics and references into the shortest time possible; not giving you the chance to find your feet. We'll see.

20 hours ago, jimmbob said:

Finally back from the hell that was Tenby. 

I've fitted a screen protector. My body is ready. 

IMG_8804.thumb.JPG.ff93a32763efdb780779ac2cf1c911dd.JPG

I'd love to have the experience of exiting the cave at the beginning of Zelda again and have the landscape/Vista appear from the gloom. It is a definitive gaming moment I'll never forget and it made me feel like crying, open mouthed as the glory of that World was so dramatically revealed.

10 hours ago, moora said:

It was originally mooted as a Switch launch title!

19 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I'd love to have the experience of exiting the cave at the beginning of Zelda again and have the landscape/Vista appear from the gloom. It is a definitive gaming moment I'll never forget and it made me feel like crying, open mouthed as the glory of that World was so dramatically revealed.

Simply play Fallout 3 then.

Looks pretty good to me. Last time I played Fifa was on the Megadrive so I know sod all about the franchise. I hope the press don't keep highlighting the loss of this journey mode (whatever that is) but concentrate more on the fact that this looks a decent effort by a big first party. If EA get some traction (sales) then they'll be far more liable to continue strong support for the Switch, which imo it really needs. Seeing EA invest in the platform will go a long way to pushing other companies to consider their support level.

The removal of Journey mode sounds more like a case of the Sonic games on Wii and Ps3/360, where the Wii version was missing a lot of the bullshit padding of the HD versions.

A great case of less being more i'd say. Not a fan of football or FIFA but I hope this sells well. I want EA to make a new SSX for Switch.

There's a write up by Eurogamer on FIFA 18 on the Switch. They say it's great as a handheld, but isn't good looking enough for TV mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-11-fifa-18-on-nintendo-switch-is-the-best-portable-fifa-ever

Maybe this article sums up why I don't bother playing FIFA these days. The Q&A is essentially "Does the Switch version have XYZ feature that's not relevant to playing the game, but has been used as bullshit EA selling points to justify this years version" Answer "No. The Switch version is running a custom built engine, not Frostbite"

Also reminded me how when the journalist complains about not being able to play the game when in detached Joy-Con mode with each player on a Joy-Con. There's not enough buttons. It's too difficult. Jesus, remember when you had three buttons in the original FIFA? Now, I'm not saying we go back to that, but saying six buttons isn't enough to play football that's crazy. Where's the 'pick up and play'? How on earth can they re-enact those Nintendo Switch promotion videos where randoms are having a roof top party and someone whips out their Switch and goes "hey, wanna game of soccer?" "Sure, what button is for kick?" "Well you press this shoulder button and then press A followed by B then Y and you'll punt the ball into the crowd" "All that for a nil-nil draw? Fuck that dude, let's play that neon boxing game instead".

It was like when I was playing FIFA on the WI U with my nephews. I had no idea how to play it. I got battered by them, in a similar way to Scotland playing against an European minnow. So if fired up Sensible World of Soccer 16/17 on the CD32 and the tables were turned. The prey became the hunter. Because they had no idea at all how to play a football game with a single button for kick. So watch a tiny pixelated version of Barcelona getting their arse handed to them by Dundee United, with a tiny version of Jim Maclean shouting from the touchlines to Messi that he'd shagged his mum last night. But at least everyone wanted a game of it! It wasn't restricted to just those that knew FIFA inside out.

It's time to bring it back to basics EA. Use the Switch to actually make a football game that's fun and anyone can pick up and play. When they originally announced it as just FIFA (no 18), I had hoped they were going to do this. Instead it looks like a return to FIFA 13 on the Wii U. "OK, but not as good as the full versions because it looks like shite on a TV".

Is that Jon Hare Sensible Soccer update game getting released on the Switch? 

My girlfriend's son is 18, and gets every annual version of FIFA. I believe he has yet to touch The Journey in FIFA 17. He does most of his messing about in FUT. I've therefore had access to FIFA 17 since it existed, and have played the tiniest bit. The Journey should actually be right up my street, being as all I've ever done before is put a simulacrum of myself into career mode and play that, but it didn't even occur to me to try it out. Those podcast guys who said Alex Hunter trends on Twitter all the time were lying, until yesterday I didn't even know his name.

The lack of the mode isn't going to stop anybody from buying it. FUT would be a huge loss, and if anything Switch players get the bonus of being able to piss about with team setups while on the train or on the toilet that big-screen only players will miss out on.

FUT is on the Switch version, they do talk a lot about how you can trade etc. 

I have no idea what FUT is, apart from it sounding suspiciously like FUD. But I guess it's one of the features that needs to be in the Switch version.

Some other bits from that Q&A

You must know some Switch owners will say it's not as good as the other versions, that it doesn't look as good graphically and doesn't have the same features. What do you say to those people?

Andrei Lazaresco: I look at this as being on a very different console. It's a completely different experience than what we have on the PS4 and the Xbox One. This is a FIFA experience for people who play on the go. 

(yeah, they're pushing it as a portable game. Just like my original fears and it's being used as a get out).

So you're looking at it very much like a portable game?

Andrei Lazaresco: It's a portable FIFA. It's the best portable FIFA we ever did. It has a lot of features and you can play in all of the possible configurations the console has. You can play handheld, docked, with a single Joy-con, with dual Joy-con, with a Pro Controller. And if you have a console and I have a console, even without an internet connection we can play with each other. We call it Local Seasons. It's basically a five match season that we together can play even without an internet connection. It's sort of local Wi-fi. 

(this might be cool, a local multiplayer mini season)

Does FUT on Switch work exactly the same as it does on the other platforms?

Andrei Lazaresco: Almost the same. There won't be any Champions on Switch.

Why not?

Andrei Lazaresco: For the first year we put in Draft Mode, Squad Building challenges, Seasons, Tournaments, Team of the Week challenges - all of those are there. Remember, this is the first year we introduce Ultimate Team to Switch players. We're taking it gradually. We're going to announce more about Ultimate Team at Gamescom later this year.

Will you be able to buy packs in the same way on Switch?

Andrei Lazaresco: Yeah, in the same way, but through Nintendo, obviously.

So, FIFA coins?

Andrei Lazaresco: Yeah. The core of Ultimate Team, everything you know about Ultimate Team is retained within Switch. Imagine, for example, an airline that provides Wi-fi - you'll be able to connect to Ultimate Team. Sure, maybe we won't be able to play a match together, but you'll still be able to connect for the transfers and manage your club.

I'm only getting into a conversation about Fifa because I believe the Switch desperately needs a title like this to be a success going forward. From what I'm seeing online, the majority of Fifa players aren't bothered with this journey stuff. It's this FUT thing (and multiplayer obviously) that grabs the majority of players attention, I'm guessing it's some kind of collectable card mechanic that unlocks special playable character cards?

Anyway, EA clearly believe that the journey thing isn't the main asset here and made a call based on that.

4 minutes ago, Revival said:

They probably have to omit certain features to make sure the digital version fits within the standard storage space of the system. Fifa 17 which had the story mode in it was over 42gb for example.

Thats hilarious, 42 fucking gb - how big was Zelda again?

Ultimate team on a Nintendo console, day one purchase for me. I'm not particularly fussed about it not having the PS4 engine. I just want a playable version with enough modes to see me through until next year's edition, the Switch version has that.

Also fifa is 720p 60 undocked and a full 1080p 60 when docked. It's a custom engine that seems to be taking elements from the previous ignite engine and frostbyte. Also looks like they did get frostbyte working on the switch but decided on a custom engine instead (they probably had trouble trying to get 60fps in a small time frame). It's an interesting engine in that it has physical based rendering and other features. So maybe, for once, well done EA on putting some effort in.

9 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

I've been playing some Trials Fusion on the PS4 today. Ubisoft really should make a Trials game for Switch.

Wouldn't work though in it's current form though as it is one game that 100% requires analogue triggers. 

Be the perfect game for it though if the console had them. 

Only Trials I've played is Fusion but I preferred the MotoHeroz game they did on the Wii to be honest. I'd be up for another of those, but I'm not sure it sold that well.

Obviously what we DO need on Switch is a new Unirally game.