Nintendo Switch

deKay

I finished Kamiko. It's short, around fifty minutes or so, but there's something really breezy and relaxing about it. Looks nice, chiptune music is actually well composed and the light puzzling/sword bashing mix is spot on. 

Also, there are three pretty distinct characters to play as for repeat plays, so I'll likely try and do those in the next week or so. There's '????' on the main menu that I assume is something that unlocks if you finish all three. I'd be up for a hard mode, to be honest, as the bosses are super easy.

18 hours ago, Nequests said:

I actually bought this earlier today without checking reviews, which I never really do, so relieved to hear you enjoyed it! Will get it started tonight.

It's by the Fairune dev, so you know it's great.

12 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Mine has crashed twice since the last update :o Both times have been from sleep mode where it just seems to crash onto a black screen and even tho you can get the side menu up you can't do anything.

Also, had it switch the device while on PS4 yesterday :(

12 hours ago, watusi said:

I had something similar earlier. I could change volume but everything else was a black screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, same symptoms; the home button side menu and volume indicator Wild still show up but nothing else. Hope Nintendo fix it in another update! 

3 hours ago, Nequests said:

I finished Kamiko. It's short, around fifty minutes or so, but there's something really breezy and relaxing about it. Looks nice, chiptune music is actually well composed and the light puzzling/sword bashing mix is spot on. 

Also, there are three pretty distinct characters to play as for repeat plays, so I'll likely try and do those in the next week or so. There's '????' on the main menu that I assume is something that unlocks if you finish all three. I'd be up for a hard mode, to be honest, as the bosses are super easy.

You get a bonus for finishing all the levels with each character under a certain time, then there are also hidden items which can be collected. I was surprised to hear this, because I searched the levels pretty well and haven't found a single one!

15 hours ago, Jonnycash said:

Just bought Mario kart myself. Would love to actually have a go on it............... 

DSC_0475.JPG

It does have local multiplayer you know! Unless you're just scared of being schooled in Mario Kart by a little kid? ;-)

1 minute ago, Stejay said:

It does have local multiplayer you know! Unless you're just scared of being schooled in Mario Kart by a little kid? ;-)

Isnt this everyone's fear?

53 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

She has some skill's I tell you. 

Let me guess, the skills she has gained are directly proportional to the amount yours have degraded as you've got older?

I understand completely. I'd run scared of her too.

19 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Let me guess, the skills she has gained are directly proportional to the amount yours have degraded as you've got older?

I understand completely. I'd run scared of her too.

What you need to do is have a mate over who is pretty casual when it comes to MK8 playing so you can utterly destroy him and feel like a king again, I am so pissed that he won one race due to some blatant cheating on the CPU part but it was comprehensive and I have no need to face my children again safe in the knowledge I am the best ever.

On the subject of Switch screenshots...

I've finally managed to replace my broken, old iMac with a shiny new 4K one. Yay! Finally, I thought, I can get my Zelda screenshots and get some tasty wallpapers going. But the gentle blurring and shading present on my TV looks like ass on my new display. I'm not sure what's gone on with the 900p>720p downscale on the screenshot process, but then shoving that onto a 4K monitor does nothing any favours.

I know of the 'rule' that it's safe to double up or down, but I simply cannot find a nice middle ground for the 720p stuff...

Anyone else been bothered by this or come up with a workaround?

For now I'm sporting an old E3 2016 4K render.

17 hours ago, Jonnycash said:

Just bought Mario kart myself. Would love to actually have a go on it............... 

DSC_0475.JPG

Watching my little girl play this reminds me of when i played Mario kart on the Snes, That feeling when screaming down rainbow road was amazing and i never wanted it to end. I don't have the heart to take it from her as i know the pain it causes. 

On 2017-6-21 at 16:12, joffocakes said:

So since the last firmware update made Wii U Pokken controllers compatible with Switch Brook's PS3/PS4 to Wii U adapters now allow you to use PS3/PS4 arcade sticks on Switch.

USB only though so only while in docked mode; no portable Street Fighter training yet.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/brook-ps3-ps4-to-wii-u-controller-adapter.html

The Universal Fighting Board will let you use any stick you want but requires some installation:

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/brook-universal-fighting-board-ps4-ps3-xboxone-xbox360-pc.html

Ok! I ordered one of the PS3/PS4 converters on Wednesday and it arrived already! It didn't work straight out of the box but after a quick firmware update my PS4 Mad Catz TE2+ stick is working like a charm! Excuse the clumsy camerawork:

58 minutes ago, tnman said:

On the subject of Switch screenshots...

I've finally managed to replace my broken, old iMac with a shiny new 4K one. Yay! Finally, I thought, I can get my Zelda screenshots and get some tasty wallpapers going. But the gentle blurring and shading present on my TV looks like ass on my new display. I'm not sure what's gone on with the 900p>720p downscale on the screenshot process, but then shoving that onto a 4K monitor does nothing any favours.

I know of the 'rule' that it's safe to double up or down, but I simply cannot find a nice middle ground for the 720p stuff...

Anyone else been bothered by this or come up with a workaround?

For now I'm sporting an old E3 2016 4K render.

The quality of screenshots on the Switch is shite anyway.

2 hours ago, Nequests said:

How is the Shantae game on the eShop? I played a couple of the old ones recently and enjoyed those, but the new one looks all shiny and different.

It's my favourite so far. It's structured a little differently - no connected hub world as such, but you can travel freely to and from the levels and they have subsections as well. I responded a little negatively from the loss of pixel art when they started showing it, but the visuals completely won me over in the end. Of course it retains all the character and humour of the series, with some obligatory great music.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

I bought Kamiko earlier.

£4.49 well spent. Looks nice, great chiptune music, breezy combat.

I bought it earlier for 30p, not played it yet! Loved Fairune though so looking forward to it. Got Plantera DX for 30p too. It's idle screen-tapping fun.

(30p because I got 1000¥ card for my remaining PA store credit and 60p)

Joy-con update!  So I registered an official complaint before going away on holiday.  10 days later I get a stock "We got your email and are sorry. We are investigating" response.

They're a fucking disgrace.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Joy-con update!  So I registered an official complaint before going away on holiday.  10 days later I get a stock "We got your email and are sorry. We are investigating" response.

They're a fucking disgrace.

This has been a genuinely horrible saga. Feel for you. I bought some foa, to fix mine and the discovered my screwdrivers didn't fit. Eventually bought a new bit that arrived today so I'll attempt a self fix tomorrow.

I backed this on KickStarter tonight - can't actually remember how I came across the link (it'll be a bit embarrassing if it was this thread...). 

I've been getting pretty bad cramp in my right hand since getting the Switch and it only recently dawned on me that it might be the console bringing it on. Tried buying some rubbish gel skins from Amazon with a little extra bulk but they're no real use. 

I think this looks fantastic though (although the huge carry case looks shit...) 

Turns out if you drive to the Scottish Highlands you can find a single Game store selling their only Switch in a bundle. After a brief "fuck it" moment I succumbed. Only got MK8 wasn't giving them £60 for Zelda I'll pick that up asap though - whats worth grabbing off the eshop?

17 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Turns out if you drive to the Scottish Highlands you can find a single Game store selling their only Switch in a bundle. After a brief "fuck it" moment I succumbed. Only got MK8 wasn't giving them £60 for Zelda I'll pick that up asap though - whats worth grabbing off the eshop?

Everything! Not least because I've gone non-cart this time.

snipperclips (if you've got someone to play with), the SNK games (golf, metal slug, Samurai shodown, KoF). 

Oh, and Arms which is amazing. 

27 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Minecraft. It's brilliant being able to play it handheld wherever you want. 

Zelda is the one you want though, oh and ARMS :)