IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I have hands large enough to grip a basketball from the top one handed, and I find them fine. Surprisingly comfortable in fact when split, which from reading this thread I hadn’t expected.

When you use them split, do you put them into the little black slidy things?  I'm not sure which is most comfortable.

7 minutes ago, Xevious said:

When you use them split, do you put them into the little black slidy things?  I'm not sure which is most comfortable.

I didn’t to begin with, but I do now. Sliders on for me.

So I unexpectedly was given a Switch by a very, very good friend yesterday (the Mario bundle). I'm in the process of planning a move to Canada so hadn't the budget for new toys, and therefore hadn't really looked at the Switch much as I didn't want to torture myself. It was the first Nintendon console I hadn't bought at launch since the SNES. And the first flagship Mario game I had missed.

Anyway, finding a Switch on my doorstep was quite the amazing gift, and what a beautiful console it is...already falling head over heels in love with Mario. But as I've been out of the loop...what am I missing (I played Zelda on WiiU). I really don't have much money to spend, so looking for demo's or low price stuff that isn't available on other consoles. Not that I need anything apart from Mario right now :) . But if there are any suggestions then I would love to hear them.

Hope so. I get horrible buyers remorse (mainly from the fact that wife and I are both teachers and between us have had a 0.7% pay increase in the past 7 years. I've swapped to half teaching half outside working now but still can't bring myself to buy a switch). Black Friday is a week before my birthday and if I pooled my present money and asked for vouchers etc I'd be able to get a Switch and a game or two so was thinking about getting one then... If it turns up in a sale I'd be delighted... Then probably feel sick for a week or so after buying it :)

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I have hands large enough to grip a basketball from the top one handed, and I find them fine. Surprisingly comfortable in fact when split, which from reading this thread I hadn’t expected. I will definitely get a Pro at some point this month, but I don’t think it’s an essential.

I wouldn’t want to use the dog face set up for hours and hours, but it’s surprisingly decent nonetheless.

Same for me as well. Never had a problem with the joycons either in handheld or on screen. I have massive hands as well. 

12 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I’ve never docked it,

but play how you like.

You should try it docked. Mario looks absolutely stunning on a big screen, so do all the other games. You're losing a lot of fidelity on that tiny screen.

I reckon handheld mode is for emergencies only. It's great being able to play away from home, which I do quite a bit, but I'm always itching to get back to my LCD.

Docked when the lad is not on the ps4.

Play table top mode with headphones and pro controller when the wife is catching up on soaps and the ps4 is being used.

Can't really get on with joy cons the sticks don't feel right for me anyway.

14 minutes ago, Fallows said:

You should try it docked. Mario looks absolutely stunning on a big screen, so do all the other games. You're losing a lot of fidelity on that tiny screen.

I reckon handheld mode is for emergencies only. It's great being able to play away from home, which I do quite a bit, but I'm always itching to get back to my LCD.

I was actually just joking due to the post above mine :lol:

I have it docked more than Handheld, Zelda looks Superb on the big screen

On 31/10/2017 at 11:01, Stanshall said:

Mmm-maybe. I'm still voting for 'bad hands'.

Are you suggesting that Nintendo have deliberately made the Joycons uncomfortable to encourage people to buy a Pro Controller, though? I like your style. 

They are compromised by design because they have to be able to be used as two separate controllers. 

Seems that Simply Games are selling European consoles with a third party adapter in the box.

I've saved £19 on the price of the console but I dont have enough space behind my telly to fit the monstrous double plug <_<

1 hour ago, Gorf said:

Seems that Simply Games are selling European consoles with a third party adapter in the box.

I've saved £19 on the price of the console but I dont have enough space behind my telly to fit the monstrous double plug <_<

Pick up one of these 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-Euro-2-Pin-to-UK-3-Pin-Plug-AC-Universal-Adapter-Travel-Converter-European/322848653369?hash=item4b2b478039:m:mraSC2zAW1R71Bg3arymk7Q

Got one for the better half's hair curling thingy that came with a euro plug. You'd never know the difference once it's on

On 28/10/2017 at 04:21, Pavey said:

I'm behind on this thread so need to catch up, just to add I've ordered one of these as I have a Wii U Pro controller and felt cheated that I didn't get much use out of it, so this seemed worth a try.  Will report back when it arrives and I've tested it.

Anyone else have their docked switch randomly stop outputting audio? First time last night. Unlocked and sound is fine. Docked, no sound. No change to settings. After about an hour of docking/ undocking and plugging in/ unplugging headphones, it just sprung back to life. Hoping it was a one off glitch...

8 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Anyone else have their docked switch randomly stop outputting audio? First time last night. Unlocked and sound is fine. Docked, no sound. No change to settings. After about an hour of docking/ undocking and plugging in/ unplugging headphones, it just sprung back to life. Hoping it was a one off glitch...

Yep every time I turned it on with my old telly there would be no sound, had to unplug and re-plug the HDMI every time and it came on. Haven’t yet had a problem with the new TV

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Are you in the latest firmware? I believe there was an update a week or so ago relating to this issue. 

Seems EA are dropping (was it ever really there in the first place?) for upto a year to see how things work out.

Also, so many games are requiring memory cards now. LA Noire requires something like 16GB, WWE is 24GB, Doom is 20GB+, Resident Evil Revalations is 15GB+. 

Can't see this turning out well. Would be nice to be able to use a HD on a docked switch but it does seem like i might need to get a decent sized memory card soon.

Hoping Rocket League squeezes onto my Switchs internal memory though.

3 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Would be nice to be able to use a HD on a docked switch

No way to make that work at all though - how would it handle being pulled out of the dock? It would basically break their USP if you couldn't just 'Switch'.

SD cards are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time - what they might want to consider doing is the same as they did with the 3DS - include a small SD card in the box with the machine. Cost would be low for them at volume, but they could at least double the internal storage for Day 1 owners that way.

I think the HDD on a docked switch idea will never happen.   It instantly kills the 'switch' function.  And lots of people say they appeal of getting these ports is the portability aspect.

I don't think memory cards are a bad solution anyway.