rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I'll probably pick up Vostok Inc into the new year. Was a game I had kept an eye on but never got round to buying on PS4.

I also need to make sure I don't take the console over as it isn't technically mine. Christmas is going to be a killer, as I really want to get my hands on it. 

59 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

I'm pretty sure Wii had more than that. 

Even still, that puts a decade long gap between launches before Nintendo was able to repeat such a feat. 

Forgot I ordered one of these, turned up today.

Good: feels like a SNES pad. Looks like one. Sticks feel great.

Bad: feels a bit cheap, I guess like a snes pad. No idea why they didn’t match the home button to the dark grey. 

Ugly: The rumble is loud. Very loud. Like third party n64 era rumble pack loud. 

Do not reccomend.

97A6A437-9B67-41F6-BD49-838F0E2A4E6C.jpeg

• Empathy 1

I havent had a long go on it but the rumble during mario Odyssey was very off putting.

I’ll give it another go when I get home.

Beautifully presented, though.

Finally got round to playing a few demos. Firstly, I love the fact that they’re on there. Helps me pre-thin out the potential pile of shame. Three demos, all for Games I was interested in...

Nine Parchments: Very disappointed. Really dull and repetitive gameplay. And despite the dev’s heritage, I thought the graphics were mediocre. Perhaps just too zoomed out. Maybe better in MP, but promises a dull singleplayer experience, so ahm oot.

Lost Sphear: Fuck me, they don’t help themselves some devs, do they. A terrible chunk of opaque bollocks with no intro, convoluted systems and very poor graphically and mechanically. Probably £40 saved. Cheers.

Octopath Traveller: That’s how you fucking do it. What a lovely generous demo. Great stories, well written tropes, very entertaining. Simple but strategically interesting mechanics that are quick to fathom but hopefully offer some depth. Stunning visually too and with great sound. In fact, apart from the name, the only bum notes were the sheer number of random encounters that you can just immediately flee without penalty every time, and no way to skip back to the boss fights on failing one, entailing a load of A-button spamming through reams of dialogue and dramatic pauses. Both easily sortable moans. I cannot fucking wait to continue Primrose’s and Olberic’s stories, not to mention the other six! That’s my money in the bank for those devs.

So, with the eShop filling up rapidly, let’s have more demos please Nintendo.

What demos have sold you on Switch games or killed them for you?

• Upvote 4

I tried the Arms testpunch when it came out. I told myself I wouldn’t buy it as I didn’t like it, but fell into the hype on here, bought it anyway and again I didn’t like it. Should’ve trusted my first impressions. 

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I tried the Arms testpunch when it came out. I told myself I wouldn’t buy it as I didn’t like it, but fell into the hype on here, bought it anyway and again I didn’t like it. Should’ve trusted my first impressions. 

I have gone this way and that with ARMS ever since that first Testpunch but it's currently the best it's ever been and really rewards putting a little time into learning the mechanics, as well as experimenting with different characters and arms. I played about five often  frustrating hours when I first got it, using Kid Cobra and some curving arms. I found myself getting thrown all the time and never being sure about my range and whether or not I'd hit. I also found I was so slow and getting rushed down like mad.

Now I play as Lola Pop and bounce bounce bounce and mix up my arms all the time depending on my opponents. It's brilliant and only getting better. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

What demos have sold you on Switch games or killed them for you?

Snipperclips. I couldn’t work out how to snip the first two ‘J’ shapes to fill up the required meter properly, and haven’t been back to it. Was on my list to buy until playing the demo.

Nm-

Street Fighter, plus Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II: Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact and Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Picked up Overcooked last night as it seemed ideal as we had guests round, having already owned it on PS4 and initially put off buying on Switch because of the framerate issues. Didn't seem to notice any framerate issues but the controls felt a little imprecise at first. Not sure if that was just because it had been forever since I last played it. We all quickly picked it up and it was a right blast, though! 

I woke up yesterday and played Zelda for the entire day until my eyes bled. I still don't think I've scratched the surface after hours and hours. The last open world style game I thought couldn't be beaten was The Witcher 3. The fact BotW surpasses it is just unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Strafe said:

Forgot I ordered one of these, turned up today.

Good: feels like a SNES pad. Looks like one. Sticks feel great.

Bad: feels a bit cheap, I guess like a snes pad. No idea why they didn’t match the home button to the dark grey. 

Ugly: The rumble is loud. Very loud. Like third party n64 era rumble pack loud. 

Do not reccomend.

97A6A437-9B67-41F6-BD49-838F0E2A4E6C.jpeg

To be clear, it's really just the noisy rumble that ruins this. Everything else is lovely. I was a bit harsh on the plasticky feel of it, it's just faithful to the original. All the buttons feel lovely,

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

To be clear, it's really just the noisy rumble that ruins this. Everything else is lovely. I was a bit harsh on the plasticky feel of it, it's just faithful to the original. All the buttons feel lovely,

I was left feeling cold after your first post, maybe a bit better now. I preordered and mine hasn't arrived yet as I seem to have opted for the proper snail mail option form Amazon.  Will wait and see if and when it finally arrives!

2 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

I have a code for the Zelda season pass. Is there somewhere on the Nintendo site I can enter it, or do I need to do so from the console?

console i believe?

Also my SNES style 8bit do pad should be here today. I ordered it before i found out i am getting a pro pad at xmas and well, it sounds like its a bit crap! Might have a go and sell it on if i don't get on with it. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Great King Bowser said:

To be fair, I find the joy-cons can be really noisy as well, although I think it depends on the game. Stardew Valley seems pretty guilty of some violent rumblings...

The only one that really bugs me is Skyrims lockpicking. I love the implementation of HD rumble when finding the sweet spot but when rotating the barrel I get an almost imperceptible but definitely audible high pitched super fast vibration. Gets right into your skull when you're playing in bed at night.

This weeks EShop releases according to Thumbsticks site 

Nintendo Switch

ACA NeoGeo The Last Blade – £6.29

Bleed – £13.49

The End Is Nigh – £13.49 (12th)

Hiragana Pixel Party – £6.99 (16th)

Mutant Mudds Collection – £7.29

One More Dungeon – £6.99

Party Planet – TBC

Plantera DX Edition – £4.99

Poly Bridge – £13.49

Romancing SaGa 2 – TBC