rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

42 minutes ago, Strafe said:

To be clear, it's really just the noisy rumble that ruins this. Everything else is lovely. I was a bit harsh on the plasticky feel of it, it's just faithful to the original. All the buttons feel lovely,

I can't handle the emotional roller-coaster, do I buy it or not

2 hours ago, Great King Bowser said:

Picked up Overcooked last night as it seemed ideal as we had guests round, having already owned it on PS4 and initially put off buying on Switch because of the framerate issues. Didn't seem to notice any framerate issues but the controls felt a little imprecise at first. Not sure if that was just because it had been forever since I last played it. We all quickly picked it up and it was a right blast, though! 

The controls are kinda imprecise on PS4, too. Part of the mayhem!

I mean it's a pretty big game, but it would have done better as a £19.99 release. I expect they are thinking it will sell more on the switch due to the audience, time will tell.

18 minutes ago, SMD said:

I can't handle the emotional roller-coaster, do I buy it or not

If you like the look of it then yes. They’ve really nailed the feel of the buttons and the d pad especially. The L2 and R2 triggers feel pretty great as well.

It’s just the noisy rumble - which is basically just vibrating, it’s not really giving you any feel - that ruins the package. If you play loud or with headphones you’ll probably forget about it.

Speaking of package, the it’s box is really nice, too.

The joycons can be rather noisy in dockedmode for sure but this is noiser and of a higher pitch.

18 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

The controls are kinda imprecise on PS4, too. Part of the mayhem!

You might well be right. Has been ages since I last touched it on PS4. Me and the girlfriend got properly upset at one another for SOMEONE dropping the ball on one of the later levels that we'd been re-playing over and over for ages trying to 3 star it... 

1 hour ago, Naieve said:

this will be an absolute shambles but could be great

I’ve got the Switch cartridge Stern PInball and it’s surprisingly not a shambles. Farsight usually do their best to mess their products up.

Could do with online leaderboards, but the tables, physics and graphics are good - same as PS4 version in general.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

This weeks EShop releases according to Thumbsticks site 

Nintendo Switch

ACA NeoGeo The Last Blade – £6.29

Bleed – £13.49

The End Is Nigh – £13.49 (12th)

Hiragana Pixel Party – £6.99 (16th)

Mutant Mudds Collection – £7.29

One More Dungeon – £6.99

Party Planet – TBC

Plantera DX Edition – £4.99

Poly Bridge – £13.49

Romancing SaGa 2 – TBC

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – Friends to the End – TBC

Stern Pinball Arcade – Free (13th)

Unepic – £7.19 (15th)

Yooka-Laylee– £34.99

https://www.thumbsticks.com/nintendo-eshop-releases-14-december-2017-12112017/

Stern Pinball and Plantera are both out already. I completed (well, got to level 200 or something) months ago in Plantera, and there's at least one person on my friends list who seems to play Stern constantly.

10 minutes ago, U-1 said:

That Yooka-Laylee price is pretty eye watering! 

Switch tax in full effect.

I think they're just trying it on...

they're competing DIRECTLY with Mario as well.  Crazy scenes.

8 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I think they're just trying it on...

they're competing DIRECTLY with Mario as well.  Crazy scenes.

I think the issues they had with Unity completely fucked them over, they were essentially waiting on editor updates to fix issues with the Switch version, which cost them god knows how much. I'm sure they'd love to knock a tenner or so off that price but they no doubt need to recoup as much as they can before lowering the price. I highly doubt they wanted to release after Mario. :(

• Empathy 1

Yooka Laylee is worth a tenner at most and that's assuming the port is competent, it didn't run all that well on PS4. 

Don't give in to the lure of nostalgia, it's a bit wank. At least I got it relatively cheap as I kickstarted it.

At a tenner, I'd probably have picked it up - maybe even 14 quid... but that's my ceiling.  From what I've heard is that they've done quite a bit of work and it's probably the best version?

Digital Foundry was saying it's a really good port, doesn't trim on too much and generally runs better. 

To be fair to the team making Yooka Laylee, sounds like they've been having the Unity problems a lot of other games have been having getting onto switch. If it wasn't for that, it would have come out at the same time as the other platforms for full price. Also, RRP for a switch game is usually £60, right? Since that's what eShop prices tend to be, that's not too bad. 

That said, I also still have Mario to look forward too :/ 

There is no defence for the Yooka Kaylee price. Development costs were covered by the Kickstarter. In the past, I've told people to buy FIFA and Doom, regardless of cost, but this time I'm telling you not to buy Yooka under any circumstances. The only way the games industry improves is when we stop mindlessly pandering to its every whim and instead start demanding it serves us, it's market. Some Switch Taxes are painful, but worth it for the  possible long term benefits. This one is just a piss-take.

• Upvote 5

I'm sure Yooka Laylee was the same price on release on the other consoles. 

Not that I think £34.99 is worth it. But I don't think there's a Switch Tax involved.

If you were a nintendo backer for Yooka laylee then the codes are being sent out right now. Sadly I wasn't so no chance for me to get it on the cheap. Still tempted though as I always like Banjo.

16 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

The same price it is on PC and XBox?

If it is, then why were people questioning the price? I admit, I'm assuming this is more expensive based entirely on people's reactions.have no interest in the game on any console, so haven't looked.

17 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

If it is, then why were people questioning the price?

Don't ask me, I only looked the prices up because I thought it was the same price everywhere. Which it is, except there's a sale on PSN I think.