IGNORED

Rocket League

Retroid

4 minutes ago, John0 said:

No worries. I agree :). Like I said happy to help out with training or filling in if anyone can't make it.

I would be the same if i was normally free Sundays, with 2 kids n the Mrs I would have some serious work to put in to free myself for the day :), its all the harder because they can't give us a bloody time until after signup.

Ur always mardy when we lose a couple so nothing new :lol:. I don't see the point in going through the effort of committing to it and then not enjoying it cause I've lost us the game. I would  of said u n Jam could handle it and we play well, but I don't think he can wangle the day off n ur now a grumpy hog

I thought you 3 have a team? Are we talking about a B team now?

BTW you really should organize a cross forum tournament, like rllmuk vs AVForums or Eurogamer forums or Neogaf. This big weekend tourny has too much waiting around for my liking tbh.

31 minutes ago, Jamin said:

BTW you really should organize a cross forum tournament, like rllmuk vs AVForums or Eurogamer forums or Neogaf. This big weekend tourny has too much waiting around for my liking tbh.

That's a brilliant idea jam

50 minutes ago, Jamin said:

There is hardly any waiting around at all most of the time. It is only if we get byes.

42 minutes ago, superstarbeejay said:

There is hardly any waiting around at all most of the time. It is only if we get byes.

Yeah that's true actually. The last time we entered the whole thing went a lot quicker than the first one. Didn't start until mid-afternoon as well.

Yeah agree. Of course it's nice to be competitive about it, but was more fun than it was serious. Bare in mind also that they let me play in the tournament with them. Twice! :) I'm sure Jamin and Mac you'd hold your own just fine if you do fancy it.

34 minutes ago, John0 said:

Wait can we have two teams now? Because I've already registered for yours.

I've already kicked you out lol

Ahhhh just kidding someone will have to make a new team including the name rllmuk 

I like

the cool side of rllmuk 

Rllmuk rejects 

Rllmuk and the seven saveloys

any tips for an absolute noob (in terms of skill not playtime)? My brother is excellent and I try and play a few times a week with him but always finish the session in absolute rage at my complete uselessness...i cant time anything and just run around being useless until eventually sitting in goal. I've tried playing myself to take my time but it hasn't really helped

It feels like my skill level is just too low for this - i can see how amazing it is but feel like i can't really improve

Every time you hit the ball, reset your brain, stop chasing it, and retreat a little way to see what's happening now and let your teammates take a turn. Once you get better you'll figure out when not to follow this rule, but if you treat it as a rule at first then I think you'll improve much faster because you'll be spending more time watching the game and less time mindlessly ball-chasing. It also makes you nice and predictable for your teammates so they know it'll be their turn to attack the ball after you've taken a swipe.

Practise predicting where the ball will land, and who will get to it first, even when you're just hanging back yourself. This helps you learn the angles it will bounce from different bits of the wall, etc., and get a feel for when it's your "turn" to hit the ball.

Worry more about making the right decisions than about the fancy technical stuff. That stuff will come with playing, in large part, but plenty of people manage to play for hundreds of hours and still be making daft decisions - chasing a ball when it should be their teammates' turn, leaving the goal open, following teammates into a corner, trying to fly for something they'll never hit, etc.

There are probably loads of beginner guides out there but that's the stuff I wish I'd known a hundred hours ago!

1 hour ago, Muz said:

any tips for an absolute noob (in terms of skill not playtime)? My brother is excellent and I try and play a few times a week with him but always finish the session in absolute rage at my complete uselessness...i cant time anything and just run around being useless until eventually sitting in goal. I've tried playing myself to take my time but it hasn't really helped

It feels like my skill level is just too low for this - i can see how amazing it is but feel like i can't really improve

play 1v1 unranked to sharpen your skills, its just you and them (and the ball) so you quickly learn to be ruthless.

10 minutes ago, angel said:

play 1v1 unranked to sharpen your skills, its just you and them (and the ball) so you quickly learn to be ruthless.

Then you slowly become a ball hog in 2v2 and 3v3 and everyone starts to hate you.. trust me, it's a bad road to go down.  It's better to play unranked matches with random people, so you can get an idea of other people's playstyles when on teams.  Learn to work together with people, and when you should go for the ball.  1v1 is all about you, which is great for learning aerials but terrible for teamwork building.

Cheers guys. I'll try and hang back and be aware of my timing. I picked the biggest car to make it easier to hit the ball face on but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use it. 

Long term am I better off trying to learn playing one of the smaller ones? 

Honestly last night I race quit like I've never done before! I even saved a replay where I managed to divert a certain goal by blocking it on the line when I was trying to steal a goal for myself. It was harder to do that than actually score:doh:

15 hours ago, Muz said:

Same thing I always say. Re-map your buttons as early on as possible. See @superstarbeejay's post a page or two back. Aerial training is useful, start at Rookie and work your way up. Just concentrate on hitting the ball first. Then hitting it with the nose of your car. Then hitting it at speed with the nose of your car.

I went through long periods of stagnation where I felt like I wasn't getting better, but you always are, I think, slowly, slowly improving. Progress does slow down exponentially though, of course. When in matches try and find a balance between playing safe and actually going for risky balls. The more aerials and wall hits you attempt, the better you will get at them, but obviously your form will take an initial dip.

Oh and check out SubParButInHD's youtube channel, they have some tutorial videos. And Gibbs is good as well.

Other than that just play as much as you can (or as much as you enjoy) :).