Rocket League

Retroid

Another great afternoon of RLCS, thanks all. I think that is the same round we got to in the very first one but we had to win all of them this time with no byes. The quality is improving dramatically all the time though so a good result today.

If nothing else Dropshot looks visually vey cool. In general I'm very impressed with the work they've done adding new stuff to the game, especially considering it's free. The rumble mode is a bit crap, but I'm a big fan of the hoops mode. I play it probably 90% of the time and it's what makes the game truly exceptional for me.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:55, Theholyhogg said:

Looks like another mode I'll play a few and then go back to ranked

They can add as much as they want but nothing will be as perfect as the standard mode

Unless they make a racing minigame 

A racing mode with power-ups similar to their rumble mode.  Yes please.

Played through the tutorial, had a couple of matches vs computer and then went online....

Thats a whole other kettle of fish isn't it !? Had 3 matches, first two I hardly had a touch of the ball, got one assist, then in my 3rd match I scored a Hattrick in a 6-4 win ! What a fantastic game ! 

IMG_3756.jpg

@CovisGod Welcome to the thread! Here are some basic beginner tips I type up every time someone new comes in :) (though this time I've put them in a google doc so I can copy-pasta in future!)

• Remap your controls. The earlier you do this, the less time it will take to re-train muscle memory. Essentially, you want to be able to boost and jump with different fingers. My mapping is:
    • Boost - L1
    • Jump - X
    • Powerslide - R1
    • Air roll - R1
    • Toggle Ball Cam - Triangle
    • Scoreboard - Circle
  • Generally I have Ball Cam on all the time, but toggling it off occasionally to look for where a teammate is, or to collect a boost.
  • This is a simple, basic guide to rotation: http://i.imgur.com/OzIOPeh.png. Not everyone will follow this, but if you do (in the main) you’ll usually be doing the right thing, at lower ranks at least.
  • The training helps a lot. Start on the Beginners ones and work your way up.
  • I found going back and playing the AI every now and then was useful in the early days. If you play online you can feel like you’re not improving at all. But vs the AI you get a constant bar to measure yourself against.
  • Try to find a balance that you’re comfortable with between going for risky shots (wall hits, aerials, that sort of thing) in order to get better at them, and making the best play for your team. The more risky you play, the faster you’ll get better, but the losses might get annoying :).
  • Best youtube channels are Gibbs and SubParButInHD, I’ve found. Plenty of good advice on those.
  • Above all, enjoy it. Rocket League is pure distilled fun, and nuanced, challenging and competitive. It’s beautifully crafted and balanced and rewards skill, intelligence, awareness, patience, aggression, and everything in between.

29 minutes ago, John0 said:

@CovisGod Welcome to the thread! Here are some basic beginner tips I type up every time someone new comes in :) (though this time I've put them in a google doc so I can copy-pasta in future!)

• Remap your controls. The earlier you do this, the less time it will take to re-train muscle memory. Essentially, you want to be able to boost and jump with different fingers. My mapping is:
    • Boost - L1
    • Jump - X
    • Powerslide - R1
    • Air roll - R1
    • Toggle Ball Cam - Triangle
    • Scoreboard - Circle
  • Generally I have Ball Cam on all the time, but toggling it off occasionally to look for where a teammate is, or to collect a boost.
  • This is a simple, basic guide to rotation: http://i.imgur.com/OzIOPeh.png. Not everyone will follow this, but if you do (in the main) you’ll usually be doing the right thing, at lower ranks at least.
  • The training helps a lot. Start on the Beginners ones and work your way up.
  • I found going back and playing the AI every now and then was useful in the early days. If you play online you can feel like you’re not improving at all. But vs the AI you get a constant bar to measure yourself against.
  • Try to find a balance that you’re comfortable with between going for risky shots (wall hits, aerials, that sort of thing) in order to get better at them, and making the best play for your team. The more risky you play, the faster you’ll get better, but the losses might get annoying :).
  • Best youtube channels are Gibbs and SubParButInHD, I’ve found. Plenty of good advice on those.
  • Above all, enjoy it. Rocket League is pure distilled fun, and nuanced, challenging and competitive. It’s beautifully crafted and balanced and rewards skill, intelligence, awareness, patience, aggression, and everything in between.

Sir you are a gent. Thanks for that.

Chase camera all the way, but (and this is crucial) with FOV opened up as wide as it'll go.

I toggle to ball camera from time to time, particularly if I'm rotating back towards the goal. I can't aim shots from ball cam to save my life - too many variables for my little brain, I think.

(disclaimer: I'm not actually very good at Rocket League)