rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Retroid

Rocket League

3 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Same option on Switch but it wasnt letting me launch a game from the ranked menu.  Weird.

Currently getting an 'Aerial Hit!' makes me a very happy man, it doesnt even matter what happens to the ball after that.

Oh, maybe something more basic, how the hell do you judge a ball straight overhead using the follow the ball camera?

Have you completed all the basic training, they are a good place to start :)

• Upvote 1

I'm a total noob, the amount of times I've boosted right past the ball due to the way the camera works is crazy.

Do people stick with 1 camera over the other or use a combination of the 2?

Make use of double jump. I do a lot of back flips too. It’s about having the awareness of where the goal is really. I’ve always had really got orientation thoughout life itself which helps.

i think the best advice is to not ball chase. Wait for your moment.

I never use anything but the lock camera.

i agree it’s hard to judge depth quite often in this game. Also when you see a replay and it doesn’t show how close you really were to hitting the ball because of latency.

On kick off I like to do different things like power slide into the ball, it’ll offset the timing enough that you can probably get the all important deflection rather than the first hit.

still one of the best game ever made.....

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Oh, maybe something more basic, how the hell do you judge a ball straight overhead using the follow the ball camera?

Sometimes it's best to fall back and let a better positioned teammate have a crack, particularly if you've clashed with an opponent flinging the ball up, or if you have space, switch to the behind camera and use the white circle to let the ball land on you to control it.

• Upvote 2

Also change your camera settings there's a few you can try out somewhere in this thread the camera settings at default are shocking and noone should ever use them 

Also try and use ball cam and get used to it

As I was looking for a new RL challenge, I've tried completely changing my camera and some of my controls too. I've matched them across switch and ps4. Being much closer to the ball makes air dribbling so much easier but it really does come at the expense of map awareness.

There are several things that everyone absolutely must do (in my opinion): Turn of camera shake, turn sensitivity up in controls, both steering and aerial, change FOV to at least 100 and camera stiffness to max.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tips. I haven't played a hell of a lot of this, probably ten hours across PS4 and Switch but I do enjoy it. My main issue is that I can't judge aerial stuff at all and don't really know what to do when the ball loops up. I now tend to just back off and focus on the 'second ball'. That's still relatively successful at my low tier but I'd be interested to know how to deal with being under a falling ball. I suspect the answer is 'practice'. 

1 hour ago, superstarbeejay said:

There are several things that everyone absolutely must do (in my opinion): Turn of camera shake, turn sensitivity up in controls, both steering and aerial, change FOV to at least 100 and camera stiffness to max.

Ok, I just had my best ever match. Thank you very much indeed. We didn't even win but I felt in more control than I ever have and my aerial game was so much better. That's actually ridiculous, no exaggeration here. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, superstarbeejay said:

As I was looking for a new RL challenge, I've tried completely changing my camera and some of my controls too. I've matched them across switch and ps4. Being much closer to the ball makes air dribbling so much easier but it really does come at the expense of map awareness.

How far do you have your turning and aerial sensitivity?

Just now, Chooch said:

How far do you have your turning and aerial sensitivity?

Right now, I have them both maxed but this is only experimenting. I think probably 3/4 of the way up might be best for me. I previously had them really low and it felt immediately much better when I maxed them.

15 hours ago, superstarbeejay said:

Right now, I have them both maxed but this is only experimenting. I think probably 3/4 of the way up might be best for me. I previously had them really low and it felt immediately much better when I maxed them.

I never knew you could do this :o

I'll give that a try tonight, cheers beejay might be just what I need to get that final push to champion rank 

1 minute ago, Theholyhogg said:

I never knew you could do this :o

I'll give that a try tonight, cheers beejay might be just what I need to get that final push to champion rank 

I'm pretty sure it was introduced in a patch at some point because I only saw it first while changing the camera settings on the switch version.

I think air-dribbling is so much easier with higher sensitivity. I was immediately pulling off 3/4 pitch air-dribbles. One I even managed to do the belly bump on landing trick (I air dribbled towards the goal, dropped under the ball while turtled, hit the floor, then bumped the goaly while the ball bounced off my belly in to the net). No idea why they didn't jump for the ball but hey, it was a nice way to score. They might have assumed that I had messed up the air dribble and waited for the ball to bounce.

I'm still champ in 3s but have been floating in diamond 3 in 2s. I've made it as high as division 4 in champ but constantly feel as though I don't deserve to be there. Everyone else in champ is so damn good at the game, regularly pulling off air dribbles that I can only dream of.

I've finally got the hang of using the backboard to defend and am now confident going up the backboard, to then jump and boost to clear the ball. My wiff percentage is low enough that I relish the opportunity to go up the wall. Even if it is only me defending a cross 1 on 1, I will often choose to go up around the goal rather than in front of it. The power of the clear can turn the play from one end to the other incredible quickly.

• Upvote 2

Quick question, is it a game that my 8 year old could get into or is it not newbie/young gamer friendly?  Do you have to have comms enabled (I keep him off it because of sweary idiots) or is it ok without.  And finally, is it worth spending the extra for this version

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-4/playstation-4-games/rocket-league-collector’s-edition-ps4/p/152744

Or just get the vanilla version that’s £9 on the PS store.  He’s using his birthday money for it, but hasn’t got much left.  Typically the Xbone version can be bought for pennies :rolleyes:

thanks all....

I'd say this is a safe game to play for a youngster, the in game messages can be turned off but even so on Switch I've only seen the preset messages pop-up, which are all pretty benign.

All the dlc is cosmetic, the game has loot boxes  too but they are all for things like skins, goal celebrations, wheels etc, nothing that effects the arenas you get to play in or the modes that are available to you.

So the extra cost is worth it or not depending on whether you just want more cars and accessories to stick on them, they do all handle slightly differently and feel a little different but for a ropey player like myself its not something that impact the game or my ability to miss the ball constantly.

3 hours ago, Ivanho said:

Quick question, is it a game that my 8 year old could get into or is it not newbie/young gamer friendly?  Do you have to have comms enabled (I keep him off it because of sweary idiots) or is it ok without.  And finally, is it worth spending the extra for this version

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-4/playstation-4-games/rocket-league-collector’s-edition-ps4/p/152744

Or just get the vanilla version that’s £9 on the PS store.  He’s using his birthday money for it, but hasn’t got much left.  Typically the Xbone version can be bought for pennies :rolleyes:

thanks all....

I have all Comms off unless playing with friend(s). It really makes little difference apart from kick offs and even then not massively. I've gone up in the ranks a lot since doing this.

And the early dlc was nice but I haven't bought anything beyond that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ivanho said:

thanks all....

He'll be fine with it, my 8 yr old loves it. You can also play the whole thing offline against bots if you're worried about online activity (with a very generous rookie difficulty level), that's what my son does. I'd just stick with the vanilla version, you get plenty of add-ons/skins/vehicle bodies just playing matches.

• Upvote 1

RLCS!!!!

Right it's that time again, would there be any interest on this. these dates are all on a Sunday, usually on for a few hours, but matchmaking has been dramatically improved over the last few season and is a lot faster now between matches 

@superstarbeejay @Jamin @mackenie @Bennette98

@John0 @JDubYes @wretcherd

@tcharliel

Also anyone else on ps4 that lurks on here feel free to join us, also pc players can join us we just won't be able to talk on headset 

Note: You may register for at

most 2 event(s).

EU Open Qualifier 1

The first official Open Qualifiers (February 18th, 2018). Please check the rules before starting your matches.

EU Open Qualifier 2

The second official Open Qualifiers (February 25th, 2018). Please check the rules before starting your matches.

European 3-its on a Wednesday so no good for me 

EU Open Qualifier 4

The last official Open Qualifiers (March 4th, 2018). Please check the rules before starting your matches.

I can be free for any of them Sundays, so if a couple can do one Sunday and some do another, I can be part of both teams 

Any interest??? 

31 minutes ago, Bennette98 said:

Will confirm closer to the date. What’s the cut off date for signup?

Not sure benny but if you can do the 18th Feb or the 4th March, maybe @Jaminwould do the 18th with us or @superstarbeejay would do the 4th with us, but that's only if one of them would be free for two Sundays cos they're already doing the 25th with me??? 

3 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Not sure benny but if you can do the 18th Feb or the 4th March, maybe @Jaminwould do the 18th with us or @superstarbeejay would do the 4th with us, but that's only if one of them would be free for two Sundays cos they're already doing the 25th with me??? 

I’ll just take you’re place on the 25th. I’m sure that’s what Beejay and Jamin would prefer ;)

• Empathy 1