IGNORED

ZOMBI (PS4/Xbone/PC) - Ubisoft

deKay

Yes, it's one of the first games I bought for my Wii U. Lovely console, with some great and essential games, but it's even more lovely when its games support the Pro Controller :) In Zombi U there was nothing that couldn't also be achieved with a menu overlay on-screen with some smart transparency effects. Imho of course. I'm sure the upcoming port will prove me right and convince the doubters / second screen lovers.

In technical terms, no. But it was just the tension of having to look away and keep glancing up and down whilst you fiddled about with the nonsense in the backpack. If your eyes are permanantly on, I fear that element might be broken and that for me was one of the main things. One of the best survival horror games in recent memory because of the sheer fear and adrenaline it generated when you were forced to divert your eyes from the action and potentially your safety. I don't know if a transparent element takes away from that.

However I am hopeful they can find a decent solution outside of Smartglass/Vita (perhaps a greater use of sound cues would be better than a transparent overlay?). For me it's the one game (that I've played) that uses the second screen on the Wii U in an innovative, interesting way. Game was totally underrated and deserves a lot more eyes on so I'm all for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

£14.99 on Xbox One.

I haven't bought it, but as a warning, it should be pointed out that reaction on NeoGAF and the like has been rather negative.

Eurogamer also have a Wii U vs PS4 comparison video up:

And Outside Xbox have this Xbox One 'lets play' footage:

£14.99 on Xbox One.

I haven't bought it, but as a warning, it should be pointed out that reaction on NeoGAF and the like has been rather negative.

What issues people on there are having with it? It doesn't seem to take much for them to throw their toys out of the pram at times. Looks noticeably sharper albeit not massively so, but then it's fifteen quid. If the game itself plays the same then I don't see the problem, although like Davros I hated what I played of the demo on Wii U but it's not the sort of game I ever get on with.

Neogaf are saying that they've removed features like seeing friend's corpses in the world/being able to loot them and being able to leave messages, and that there are some frame rate drops which is kind of unexcusable for a port of a Wii U game.

For 15 quid I'm still really tempted to get the PS4 version though.

The DF comparison was interesting. Lots of folk were bemoaning losing the 'dirty lens' effect of the WiiU version, but I think I prefer it without. The gamma has been bumped up a bit too far, though, and loses a lot of the dark menace of the original. Hadn't realised how restrictive the WiiU's FOV was on ZombiU until I saw them side to side, but you could argue that was a design decision I guess.