rllmuk
toythatkills

GRIP: Combat Racing - Out Now on Switch (and other platforms)

59 minutes ago, ronin said:

Its up on Game Pass now

Anyone else having issues launching this with game pass subscription?

In fact. It was showing up on gamepass earlier, I installed it, it wouldn't launch. After an uninstall it doesn't show up as a gamepass title at all. Just buy for £35.

Yeah, same here; looks like something's fallen over on that front. 

2 hours ago, ronin said:

Worked for me a couple of hours ago

Looking online it worked at first and doesn't now.

Was having trouble but kept hitting A on the tile in my apps and eventually it just loaded. I've done the tutorial and it seems cool enough, the grainy style might not be to everyone's taste but a welcome addition to GamePass :)

Yeah its a bit rough on the eyes compared to something like Rocket League or FH4.

Im not really feeling the handbrake, it seems to be good for j-turns but not much else. And the turbo effect is underwhelming in the initial vehicle but that may change.

Controls feel pretty good, apart from that.

More arcade racers is always a good thing.  I guess I'll get this on Switch, unless it turns out to be noticeably worse than other versions.

Just had a quick go on the Xbox One version of this. There's a fair bit of late 90s / early 00s magic to it. Only 30fps on Xbox One, which is a bit disappointing. Good sense of speed, nice sense of scale (which really sells the arcing missile trails) but dull scenery.

It's a bit shonky presentation wise and a bit buggy (getting jammed in between scenery and falling out of the level etc.). Maybe having some menus use the A button to select and some menus use the Y button (Y!!) is a call back to a time when nobody did proper UI. Also the tournament tiers are arranged vertically but you switch between them using RB and LB - which just feels a bit shit.

Definitely worth a look if you've got game pass but nothing earth shattering.

Got the switch version. Post patch it still looks pretty ropey.

Feedback I sent to the devs on Twitter, fwiw:

Some very odd decisions in this:

why do some menu options get confirmed with ‘A’ and others with ‘X’. Very disorientating. The menu options are a bit unclear in other areas (like switching tiers, for example)

Why, when needing to keep an eye on the road ahead (especially important at a lower resolution as the path is not always clear), does it take about half a second to swing the camera back to see a reverse view? Why not an instant snap? Checking your reverse is almost pointless unless on a clear straight as a single bump can have a disastrous result.

What’s the difference between a classic race and an ultimate race? Is this ever explained?

The switch is definitely capable of more than this, graphics wise. Could you not have delayed it to bring it up to scratch? I’m not expecting you to reach the same level as, say, Mario Kart8 with your team size but take a look at Fast RMX and what they did (and at 60fps). 

All that said, it is quite fun and properly thrilling at times. I hope you get the sales and resources to improve it.

Turns out the race types are explained if you bury into the options and find the manual.

I had a quick spin on the PC version last night and it seems very unfinished and I also managed to produce a game breaking but forcing a task manager shut down after my first race.  This should still be in early access. 

Has potential though.

Wow the frame rate and already questionable resolution really go to shit in the battle arenas.

Had a quick go on the PS4 (pro) version last night and it’s definetly not worth the £34.99 psn asking price - £19.99 max, but more like £14.99. Disappointed with the overall package and yet another game I shouldn’t have bought digitally.....it’s all abit rough around the edges - maybe a sequel will realise the potential (it’s definitely there)

On 06/11/2018 at 17:19, catinthehat said:

So tempted, but it'll be 15 quid by Christmas, and I won't play it at the moment anyway.  Going to have to wait.

Waiting justified, it seems.  Hopefully they'll have sorted out some of the issues by the time they drop the price.

17 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Had a quick go on the PS4 (pro) version last night and it’s definetly not worth the £34.99 psn asking price - £19.99 max, but more like £14.99. Disappointed with the overall package and yet another game I shouldn’t have bought digitally.....it’s all abit rough around the edges - maybe a sequel will realise the potential (it’s definitely there)

Thankgod for Gamepass.

• Upvote 1

I was looking forward to this, but my god is it disappointing. Little feeling of speed even though you're allegedly going over 500 (kph?), really confusing UI, stodgy handling, bland tracks and vehicles and on the second intro race I kept hitting something invisible in mid air after I went off a jump. Same spot twice in a row, and it just pissed me off so much I stopped and uninstalled there and then. Feels like a second rate PC copy of a console arcade racer from the early 2000's.

• Upvote 3

It took a little while but this has now 'clicked' for me.

First off, the Campaign mode tries to ease you into it by holding back certain features (no speed boost, weapons or supercharging of them, indestructible vehicles) and keep both the speed and AI difficulty on the lowest settings. Also it only features the 'Easy' tracks which lack all the cool loops and pipes. As a result, the game feels like a slow, boring drag.

Having tried some single races with my own settings (all features enabled!) on higher speeds and some of the later tracks, it's instantly more thrilling and fun :)

Handling depends quite a lot on your car of choice, picking one with a higher grip level certainly helps to learn the tracks and enjoy them.

Finally, I play on a PS4 Pro and an 4K HDR OLED LG telly, but the visual settings were way off - turn off the grain filter, up the brightness, contrast and gamma and the game instantly looks SO much better.

Shame this isn't really taking off as I'd love some online multiplayer action!

I keep coming back to this for the odd few races here and there, but I'm not sure why...

Another baffling thing: When you enter a tournament in the campaign mode you can replay all the races as many times as you want, until you do the final race, which locks down the tournament score. But... why? Why not let you just replay all the races, or go full old-school PS1 era and make you play through all the races in one sitting and commit to your results. Why this fudged-in between. I can't tell if it's a deliberate decision or a mistake in the game logic.

And then once you've finished there's no indication of where you came in the tournament, no medals or anything like that just a counter for how many times you've finished each tournament - which is information I don't think I've ever wanted or needed in a game like this. Why?

Also where you need to finish in a tournament to unlock the next changes from tournament to tournament, sometimes you need to come in the top three, but sometimes you only need to come sixth, as if they realised the balance was all over the place and couldn't be bothered to fix it. Why!?

Also you can't fire a missile going up hill in the battle arenas - it will just plough in to the floor, even though you can fire up hill on much steeper slopes in the races. Why!?

Maybe this is frog fractions 3.

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

I was looking forward to this, but my god is it disappointing. Little feeling of speed even though you're allegedly going over 500 (kph?), really confusing UI, stodgy handling, bland tracks and vehicles and on the second intro race I kept hitting something invisible in mid air after I went off a jump. Same spot twice in a row, and it just pissed me off so much I stopped and uninstalled there and then. Feels like a second rate PC copy of a console arcade racer from the early 2000's.

Yep it didn't click for me at all. I was worried I had Onrush syndrome (didn't click right away but on my second session I got hooked) so gave it another go and it confirmed I really dislike most aspects of it. Uninstalled, and glad it was on gamepass. Shame as it could have been a great online racer. 

20 hours ago, matt0 said:

I keep coming back to this for the odd few races here and there, but I'm not sure why...

Another baffling thing: When you enter a tournament in the campaign mode you can replay all the races as many times as you want, until you do the final race, which locks down the tournament score. But... why? Why not let you just replay all the races, or go full old-school PS1 era and make you play through all the races in one sitting and commit to your results. Why this fudged-in between. I can't tell if it's a deliberate decision or a mistake in the game logic.

And then once you've finished there's no indication of where you came in the tournament, no medals or anything like that just a counter for how many times you've finished each tournament - which is information I don't think I've ever wanted or needed in a game like this. Why?

Also where you need to finish in a tournament to unlock the next changes from tournament to tournament, sometimes you need to come in the top three, but sometimes you only need to come sixth, as if they realised the balance was all over the place and couldn't be bothered to fix it. Why!?

Also you can't fire a missile going up hill in the battle arenas - it will just plough in to the floor, even though you can fire up hill on much steeper slopes in the races. Why!?

Maybe this is frog fractions 3.

I went on a bit of a rant at the developer on twitter about stuff like this. They stopped replying.

It’s a fundamentally broken game with some baffling design decisions. Even before you start, for example, there are two different buttons for confirming a menu selection. Press ‘A’ to open the tournament menu but press ‘x’ to start race. Why would they do that?

Why are there levels for the cars? So odd.

rant starts here...

This has to be the biggest disappointment of the year so far. I wasn't massively hyped for it in the first place but it is just awful. Astoundingly so. From the odd ui choices to the dead stop angles out of nowhere on the tracks. It's like some shit net yaroze game, but in 2018. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking. I can't even contemplate that they somehow thought the shitness would be nostalgic or ironic.

Really sad to see this has turned out to be a stinker. At the time, Rollcage, SSX, Tony Hawk and NBA Street were all regulars with my mates for multiplayer sessions. Rollcage was always my fave, in a lot of ways I preferred it to Wipeout and would definitely choose it over other futuristic arcade racers of the time like Quantum Redshift and Extreme-G. 

God, we were spoiled back then. Futuristic racers were actually a genre. Not just arcade racers, but futuristic arcade racers. :blah:

Remember the first time playing Rollcage. The Fatboy Slim soundtrack kicking in, the trackside destruction, cars flipping over and driving backwards on the ceiling, awesome weapons and progressively more crazy track designs. Driving on the beach. The speed of Wipeout but a more level playing field that anyone could enjoy. Endless, hilarious, multiplayer sessions.

Maybe Rollcage was just of its time and couldn't succeed now even if it was polished and perfected with an AAA budget? Did this remake even need to happen?