IGNORED

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

A fool and their money....

:blink: Fuck sake, seeing that is depressing. I just can't fathom it. I'm always hearing stories, but I'll never understand how people (investors) get taken in. I mean I do, connections ultimately, but that still doesn't explain the brain disconnect that must go on. Some people just have so much money, they lose all sense of financial perspective.

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion, you want to look away but you can't. It's a bit like when you see people roped in by pyramid schemes. From the outside it seems so obvious what's going on, but for those on the inside, the dream appears very real and attainable. You have to appreciate the genius of the bigwigs at this company who are so good at selling the dream to players and investors whilst getting even more filthy rich as it all falls apart. You can bet most of the management will be walk it away with massive amounts of money from this endeavour even when it inevitably crumbles within a year or two.

I feel for the players who have sunk their money, hopes and expections into Star Citizen. I also feel for the real developers, the guys and girls actually trying to make the thing. I know some people that have worked on this game and they are good at what they do. They put their heads down and work on what they are told to, they bring in their ideas and help to try and shape this impossible vision into an actual game with things to do and systems which work. With a much tighter focus this game could actually be good, instead its trying to be everything and will probably end up being nothing.

The big question is whether any management besides perhaps the director actually believes in the game, and just sees it for the money grabbing scheme it seems to have become.

What's more annoying is that the actual devs have proven there is potential for a really cool game in here along the lines of Eve Online or Elite Dangerous, with amazing tech and some cool ideas. It's just completely lacking in focus and direction and all overshadowed by the selling of virtual products that still can't actually be used in a functioning game!

Can anyone enlighten me on what happened to turn this into the predicted disaster it's turning out? 

I mean, was there a point when the penny dropped for most people about what was going on, a point where all but the hard core supporters saw sense and started to back away or has it just been a slowly rolling snowball. Was it one of the presentations when people started to cotton on? Or is it just the length of time and amounts of money the Devs are burning through?

I'm sure there's not a short straight answer to any of that, but was there a specific turning point? 

On 30/05/2018 at 19:02, JPickford said:

It feels like it's nearing collapse now.

Thing is, I felt that way about 2 years ago, but it just keeps shambling on.

I mean, the number of people still willing to put money in must be dwindling now, but they must keep doubling and tripling down on those purchases. 

It can’t last much longer, can it?

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion, you want to look away but you can't. It's a bit like when you see people roped in by pyramid schemes. From the outside it seems so obvious what's going on, but for those on the inside, the dream appears very real and attainable. You have to appreciate the genius of the bigwigs at this company who are so good at selling the dream to players and investors whilst getting even more filthy rich as it all falls apart. You can bet most of the management will be walk it away with massive amounts of money from this endeavour even when it inevitably crumbles within a year or two.

I feel for the players who have sunk their money, hopes and expections into Star Citizen. I also feel for the real developers, the guys and girls actually trying to make the thing. I know some people that have worked on this game and they are good at what they do. They put their heads down and work on what they are told to, they bring in their ideas and help to try and shape this impossible vision into an actual game with things to do and systems which work. With a much tighter focus this game could actually be good, instead its trying to be everything and will probably end up being nothing.

The big question is whether any management besides perhaps the director actually believes in the game, and just sees it for the money grabbing scheme it seems to have become.

What's more annoying is that the actual devs have proven there is potential for a really cool game in here along the lines of Eve Online or Elite Dangerous, with amazing tech and some cool ideas. It's just completely lacking in focus and direction and all overshadowed by the selling of virtual products that still can't actually be used in a functioning game!

Imagine being the guy that got this delivered. That would look incredible on the CV (apart from your initial bad judgement at joining the damn company)

On 30/05/2018 at 23:20, JPickford said:

There's no game design,  no 'vision' just an ever expanding hotch-potch of bad ideas.  The game will never be 'finished' or even functional.  Add to that that most of the backers have ruined the game for themselves by pre-buying dozens of ships.

There will be a great book written about this fiasco.

I heard it's one of the 1,000 games included on the Vega +.

• 2 weeks later...

The Star Citizen subreddit, which until a few months ago was generally where you’d go to get banned for criticising the game, is starting to get fairly critical of RSI and asking where their game is. If they can’t get a date in the next 12 months on Squadron 42 at least by CitizenCon (a name I now realise is unintentionally hilarious) they won’t have a user base big enough to monetise to finish the game.

Their big problem now is their entire business model is built around paying for development through pledges, and since they just don’t get new pledgers anymore, there’s this vicious cycle of announcing new stuff to buy to fund making old stuff they let people buy, and nothing gets finished.

I reckon this will be dead by the end of 2019, with all blame being laid on the media and “toxic community members”, like the ZXVega+ on a massive scale but with less outright fraud.

5 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

The Star Citizen subreddit, which until a few months ago was generally where you’d go to get banned for criticising the game, is starting to get fairly critical of RSI and asking where their game is. If they can’t get a date in the next 12 months on Squadron 42 at least by CitizenCon (a name I now realise is unintentionally hilarious) they won’t have a user base big enough to monetise to finish the game.

Their big problem now is their entire business model is built around paying for development through pledges, and since they just don’t get new pledgers anymore, there’s this vicious cycle of announcing new stuff to buy to fund making old stuff they let people buy, and nothing gets finished.

I reckon this will be dead by the end of 2019, with all blame being laid on the media and “toxic community members”, like the ZXVega+ on a massive scale but with less outright fraud.

giphy.gif

If it does go pear-shaped, what would the legal status of backers be? Not the backers of the original KS, as that's a separate thing really, I'm thinking of the people who've been ploughing money into the thing since the KS ended?

I'm not really concerned about those fucking morons who've spent thousands on the thing (as I'm going to naively assume they can afford spunking their money on silly shit all the time), more the people who've spend a fair bit of dosh on the 'game'?

I'm interested to see just how this would affect the crowdfunding scene (for games anyway) if it does all go belly-up.

Maybe they should just say 'sod it' and go full pyramid scheme?

"Hey backers...introduce new backers and receive these digital assets! Remember the more backers you sign up and the more backers they sign up means your digital assets can increase exponentially!

...and can I interest you in a monorail?'