rllmuk
Flub

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Watched about three thirds of this the other day. Mostly stuff that's already been covered but I can never get enough of Star Shitizen. Schadenfreude and all that...

This is interesting, you can play a limited bit of the MMO until Monday according to https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/24/star-citizen-free-trial-weekend-now/

While it’s been a few months since I last checked in on Star Citizen, I admit that there are some genuinely impressive parts to it. Despite choppy performance (especially when around other players), being able to seamlessly move from on-foot FPS gameplay to spaceflight to planetary landing is impressive. The fan-made video below shows off a messy fifty-player rumble on a desert planet. Though you can see it creaking a bit even in this clip, you can spot the immensely complex damage model in action, with parts falling off ships and laying smoking on the ground.

This trial weekend gives players several days of free reign to do what they want into the MMO side of the game in one of three ships, pictured up top. There’s a mining ship, a cargo hauler and a multi-player gunship, plus a hoverbike for planetary exploration. Free players also have access to two minigames – Arena Commander (a solo/co-op dogfight survival mode) and Star Marine (on-foot FPS combat). Sadly, the part that I’m most interested in – story-driven campaign Squadron 42 – isn’t included in this event, but the MMO side does at least contain some scripted missions.

The game is currently up to version Alpha 3.2, and this page has an overview of what they’ve recently added. Mining, mostly, which I personally have no interest in, but it might be tempting for EVE Online regulars.

Star Citizen is free to try until Monday, August 27th at midnight PST. If you’re interested, you can sign up here, and you can find the (steep) minimum system requirements for the game here, including at least 16 gigabytes of RAM.

• Upvote 1

Looks simultaneously completely amazing and utterly jank.

An obvious issue is that none of the gameplay they show comes from a moving FPS perspective, it’s either stood still looking along a gun or a free floating camera - which probably means it’s awful.

Fucking LOL at the state of this. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_Cq5V6wP4

"the link could not be embedded because youtube does not allow embedding of that video" the forum says. Weird. 

EDIT: Oh my god.

So here is the back cap on how things have unfolded.

Shortly before this video finished uploading Chris Roberts made a long wall of text post explaining how the price for streaming was to help pay for the convention, and that "he wasn't even going to bother streaming any of it." He talked a bunch about how he's terrible at spending money wisely and how he's trying to make Citizen Con as huge as a real game convention on the backers dollar.

This excuse was celebrated a few in the community, lots of circlejerking each other off for "how great it is for Chris to respond to us peasants!", but the overall community mood by this morning (the 31st) was still VERY angry with Cloud Imperium.

At this point Chris has responded once more, saying he "Slept on it" and has decided to make it all free to anyone who has a Star Citizen account. Is he not a Merciful God? Now, this is going to be a tough one for some people, but do NOT go running back to your abusive boyfriend. Keep pushing for them to do better and correct themselves. If you just run back into his arms after he says "he sorry, I won't hit you again", not only are you going to get hit again, but you deserve it.

Haha

So yeah, this looks about twice as appealing that Star Citizen in terms of being a follow-up to Privateer. Made by a handful of people, coming out on the PC, PS4 & Switch, gonna cost $30.

Even that Starlink game by Ubisoft has the whole landing on planets thing going on.

• Upvote 5

Came in to read what utter ridiculous stuff was going on only to find.. THERES A NEW REBEL GALAXY GAME!! and it's first person! Fuck yeah :omg:

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that Rebel Galaxy game looks ace!

Star Citizen is still a fucking joke, so at least something is normal in this Trump/Brexit world.

..so...it turns out there is another rebel galaxy trailer...which REALLY pokes fun at star citizen lmao!

• Upvote 4

Oh, Rllmuk. ^_^

Circumstance has seen me not visit the forum for a few years, but having recently began browsing again I thought I'd search Discussion to find out who else on here has been following SC's development. I certainly expected serious discussion of the 'scam' opinion some people genuinely hold about it, but it seems that Rllmuk's consensus has already been well established!

I've personally already had way more than my monies-worth just from the regular video content they push out alone. I was going to suggest that maybe those of us who are in or interested in the development industry can more appreciate seeing the updates and progress they're making, but I see JP and maybe a few others aren't particular enthralled by the project either, so maybe not. There are a few others in our studio who play it and follow the dev content though, so at least I'm not the only crazy one. I love this kind of behind-the-scenes stuff, the making of Halo 2 doc on the collectors edition disc was probably what got me into this business.

I certainly don't envy their situation and development environment with all eyes on them 24/7, but they don't half make it easy for the trolls from time to time. The $20k+ ship collection comes to mind, and the recent CitizenCon streaming fee. They really need to hire some better marketing peeps to avoid those customer relations balls ups at least.

Anyway yeah, stuff like this I could watch all day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YYKIjEC0E

One for the 'Biggest discrepancy in gaming' thread I guess...

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 5

14 minutes ago, dan_tm said:

I've personally already had way more than my monies-worth just from the regular video content they push out alone

How much did that cost you?

27 minutes ago, dan_tm said:

I certainly expected serious discussion of the 'scam' opinion some people genuinely hold about it, but it seems that Rllmuk's consensus has already been well established!

I don't think it's a scam. A man who is incapable of scoping a project and goes over budget and over deadline unless forced to buckle down has finally ended up on running a project where he can piss money up the wall endlessly as he has a fanbase who will fund him forever (well for  now at least).

The fascinating part is how far it will go before it collapses

it'll end in tears either way.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, dan_tm said:

Oh, Rllmuk. ^_^ I thought I'd search Discussion to find out who else on here has been following SC's development.

I've personally already had way more than my monies-worth just from the regular video content they push out.

Anyway yeah, stuff like this I could watch all day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YYKIjEC0E

So do you actually play the game?

18 minutes ago, TehStu said:

How much did that cost you?

About 20 quid off eBay for an unwanted AMD GPU promo code nearly 4 years ago, which came with the most expensive Mustang class ship. I since spent 5 or 10 dollars in-game to upgrade it to an Origin 315p. I was always a solo Astero guy on Eve so exploration is what I'm most interested in.

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I don't think it's a scam. A man who is incapable of scoping a project and goes over budget and over deadline unless forced to buckle down has finally ended up on running a project where he can piss money up the wall endlessly as he has a fanbase who will fund him forever (well for  now at least).

I completely agree, I even have first hand experience with someone who previously worked at CiG and they weren't complimentary of their planning and organisation either.

The thing is, people are (presumably) willing to continue funding it because they still like where it's going and what it's trying to do. If that's what they want to spend their money on then I don't see why anyone has a problem with that. There are far, far worse abusers of player trust and psychological weaknesses (loot boxes, etc.) in this industry. I am of the opinion that Chris is honestly trying to make the very best possible game he can for the players and not the bank - even if his ability to plan such an undertaking is arguably lacking. I don't believe there's any deceit involved at all.

• Downvote 2

So that's a "no" then?

Because the videos frequently misrepresent the product by pretending that concept footage is currently playable, leading to backers who don't actually know what state the game is in and having a rosier out-of-touch view than the reality.

• Upvote 1

Not going to lie, I've probably spent 20 quid + 5-10 bucks on stuff sat in my pile of shame, but at least they're released titles.

I don't think it's necessarily a scam, but the subsequent class action suit, where we find out how all this ballooning scope was paid for, will be fascinating.

They're as bad if not worse than some of these scummy loot box pushers. They know some poor saps are in for a fair chunk of change so will dig even deeper to get the game released in desperation. You're in for a couple of hundred and are worried it's gonna go belly up, that would be horrible and a waste of your investment in the game. But no worries you can help push the game across the line and buy some overpriced spaceships. So out comes the credit card and your in for even more cash. Rinse repeat. They're taking the piss whether they want to make a great game or not. Just fucking pull your finger out and deliver what you promised. Pyramid scheme regardless of being able to pootle about in some unfinished demo. These ships and other tat are pure whale bait and the ridiculous cost of some of it hooks the fattest whales.

Anyway, they delayed their netcode, y'know, the core component for the MMO. 6 years into development. Citizens in full damage control mode.

This was originally due Dec 2016, along with the rest of the Star system, we're now approaching the end of 2018 and they still don't have it done. In fact, if you go back to the very first monthly report from Feb 2014 almost everything they're currently trying to deliver is the same as back then:

The biggest danger, or “blocker” in game development parlance, continues to be the server backend. You may recall that we pushed the release because we did not want to use the standard CryEngine server and net-code. Instead, we decided it would be more efficient to use the system which will form the nucleus of Star Citizen’s persistent servers in the future. We have high hopes that the solution will be ready in time for launch… and that that solution will stand up to the hundreds of thousands of Citizens waiting to battle it out.

But if you just live on the diet of videos CIG put out, you never actually put any of this stuff into context, it's all just "coming soon" every week, and community expectation management and bullshit and ship sales.

• Upvote 1

If you’re just interested in the dynamics of game development Broken Age’s Kickstarter was entertaining and they didn’t spend the following five years scamming people with claims they weren’t going to be able to deliver, paid for by pretend spacecraft models.

hence “scam”.

i don’t think a promo code bought off eBay and a few videos covers it.

16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

So that's a "no" then?

Play the game? No, not really. I did spend far too much time a couple of years back perfecting my laps on the racing mode back when that and the arena/dogfighting module were the only functional parts of the game though. That was actually quite fun. I'm not bothered about space combat because I'm useless, and being a semi-serious CS:GO player I fully expect the FPS aspect to be complete crap as well so if anything comes from that it's a bonus. In regards to the video content not being representative of the game I'm not entirely sure what you mean, it seems quite clear to me which parts are in development/subject-to-change and which are already playable on the test server. I mean, anyone can literally go on there and look for themselves, there's no smoke and mirrors. Perhaps a 'casual' backer might be confused by what they see talked about as if it's already available to play, I couldn't really say - are there any particular examples?

9 minutes ago, amc said:

They're as bad if not worse than some of these scummy loot box pushers. They know some poor saps are in for a fair chunk of change and so will dig even deeper to get the game released. You're in for a couple of hundred and are worried it's gonna go belly up, that would be horrible and a waste of your investment in the game. But no worries you can help push the game across the line and buy some overpriced spaceships. So out comes the credit card and your in for even more cash. Rinse repeat. They're taking the piss whether they want to make a great game or not. Just fucking pull your finger out and deliver what you promised. Pyramid scheme regardless of being able to pootle about in some unfinished demo.

I don't think I can really comment definitively on that, it's just conjecture. I'm well aware of that kind of phenomenon in gambling culture, convincing yourself to make just one more bet to win back everything you've lost and so on... But who sensibly thinks they can keep throwing money at a multi-multi-million dollar project and finish funding it themselves because they don't want to waste the $200 they're already in for?

Regarding just releasing what was promised - I believe once they began receiving crazy money from backers they ran a poll to ask everyone whether they should still deliver what they had originally planned, or re-scale the project to something much more ambitious. You can guess which way the vote went. I can also understand why people are getting antsy, the average punter sees something like Assassin's Creed coming out every year and thinks that it only takes 12 months to put together a game of that scale. I'd bet Rockstar have averaged 800+ people working on RDR2 over the past 5 years, CIG had to build up a studio from zero for the first couple of years of 'development' before they could really begin to get the project rolling.

And I have every reason to hold a grudge against CIG, I applied for a development job there and didn't get it :hmm:

2 hours ago, dan_tm said:

Play the game? No, not really.

Lmao. So it's literally about daydreaming for you then? Actually playing the game turns the ideal experience into a crushing, banal reality.

In regards to the video content not being representative of the game I'm not entirely sure what you mean, are there any particular examples?

This trailer for the most recent patch where basically none of the content shown is actually in game or in that patch. I've also talked to numerous backers who believed the project would hit dates and include features like salvaging that were "nearly done" because they just watched the ATV's - 2 years later, that stuff is not even planned for another year.

Regarding just releasing what was promised - I believe once they began receiving crazy money from backers they ran a poll to ask everyone whether they should still deliver what they had originally planned, or re-scale the project to something much more ambitious.

This is a backer line, and it's complete bullshit, a forum poll about stretch goals had very few responses, and the letter from the chairman directly after said the extra funding would allow the game to be done faster.

Since then they said SQ42 will be done in 2016, 2017, 2018, TBD.

• Upvote 3

The beauty of a kickstarter disaster is that it scams everyone out of their money - backers and organisers alike. 

19 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Pretty sure Roberts and his pals are quite wealthy from this scam.

He employs his wife and brother in the company.

His wife having no experience in video game development.

• Upvote 3

They also set up the UK studio with backer funds but retained personal ownership (fair enough) later they (CIG) purchased the studio from themselves - pocketing the cash.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, bumgut said:

He employs his wife and brother in the company.

His wife having no experience in video game development.

And she still hasn't 

• Upvote 2