rllmuk
Flub

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

But neither of those two games is a perfect substitute for what Star Citizen is envisioning. I can easily see why people interested in a total immersion simulator don't just play either of those two games instead.

This is like people telling me to go play Ryu ga Gotuku instead of crowdfunding a game I actually want to play ;)

• Downvote 2

Yeah, these people are buying a dream, and it’s silly to suggest they would be happy with things that are clearly not analogous to that dream.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Treble said:

It's also about recognition and nostalgia, isn't it? Wing Commander was gigantic in the States, but Elite wasn't. 

They are also completely different experiences and, other than being in space and shooting at things, aren't really comparable. 

• Upvote 2

I decided to give this a quick play since there's a Free-To-Play event going on at the moment.

I worked out how to retrieve my ship, worked out how to turn it on and launch it, then realised I had zero idea how to actually fly it. Eventually the power ran out on it, so I left the pilot's seat, opened one of the exterior doors and jumped out. Apparently my EVA suit can't keep up with the momentum of the ship, so within seconds it was long gone and I was stuck.

I'm not sure this is the game for me. I'd say I'd stick to Elite Dangerous, but I took such a long break from it I've no idea how to use any of the new systems in that now either.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Zio said:

I decided to give this a quick play since there's a Free-To-Play event going on at the moment.

I worked out how to retrieve my ship, worked out how to turn it on and launch it, then realised I had zero idea how to actually fly it. Eventually the power ran out on it, so I left the pilot's seat, opened one of the exterior doors and jumped out. Apparently my EVA suit can't keep up with the momentum of the ship, so within seconds it was long gone and I was stuck.

I'm not sure this is the game for me. I'd say I'd stick to Elite Dangerous, but I took such a long break from it I've no idea how to use any of the new systems in that now either.

This is genius! If it wasnt such a disengenuous project I'd be tempted to try it. 

40 minutes ago, Zio said:

Elite just added a fantastic new tutorial / refresher where you get walked through basic controls. You'd be back up and running in 30 min and if you're on the consoles you'll get an achievement for passing the course.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t want to Stu Campbell this but if you step out of a ship that’s not accelerating, I don’t think anything should actually happen.

Yes, that's what I understand from my time at Kerbal University

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, rafaqat said:

The tech features described about the game sound great. Watching the DF video makes me want to try it out .

Try a free weekend.  If you like what's there the maybe fling them some cash, if you feel like that has some value.    If it's not in the alpha you play though, you really need to pretend their release roadmap, trailers, tech feature demos and 'live' presentations don't exist.  They've been promising and delaying stuff for years.  They sprinkle enough new glitter each year persuade hard core backers like Alex from DF that the game they promise is just around the corner.  It's not.  There might be a new ship jpegs you can buy though!

Quite looking forward to fast forwarding through Citizencon this month though. There's normally 5-10 minutes of graphics stuff that's fun to watch, if you like that sort of thing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, James Lyon said:

In fact, I was a bit scared it would be like going for a personality test in a Scientology centre

Love this, I spoke with someone a few years back and they were super into Star Citizen, proper zealot, thought they could do no wrong and everything was exciting / amazing (around the time of their engine rewrite iirc).

I know someone who was super into it right from the start, and he was trying to convince every gaming friend he had to also invest, invest, invest because it was going to be the best thing ever. Don't you want to be part of building the dream?!

He even started a Star Citizen clan through Facebook and invited everyone over. Once the game was out, we could play together! And iirc he registered the clan name in the game already somehow  I accepted his invite because at that point Roberts & Co. were only a year or two into development, so it looked all good at that point. I didn't invest however, I wanted to wait until the game was finished (lol in hindsight). Now we're here, 30 or so years later give or take. Instead of weekly updates from the Facebook clan, it's dwindled to once or twice a year. But every update he posts is still full of EXCITE and BEST GAME EVER and at the end always a line about invest, invest. THE DREAM. At this point I still follow his page because I'm fascinated how long he can keep his EXCITE going even though all his posts get zero reactions nowadays.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 2

Starcitizen lies about Lumberyard switch

So CIG lied about switching engines back in 2016, which they did to evade a lawsuit (which didn't work) and it's now come out under legal discovery, now if the singleplayer game SQ42 ever releases CryTek would be able to stop its sale and get all the copies destroyed like with X:Men Destiny. The deranged backers are still insisting they've switched engines despite this being exposed as a lie in a legal document in front of them.

Who would have thought a man who was previously successfully sued for $8 million for lying about the status of a project would lie about the status of a project? Who would have thought CEOs and CFOs who were summoned to court over money laundering (before selling the company to evade the legal consequences) would engage in fraudulent behaviour?

• Upvote 7

I’ve read that reddit post, and it seems to read more like speculation/joining the dots, rather than legally definitive?