IGNORED

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

The author is financially invested. This isn’t his first Space Whales video fluff piece.

I don't blame the author as much as whoever's the editor at Digital Foundry. It's his or her job to read these articles and have a word with the author when it's a fluff piece, more of a sales article filled with dubious claims and zero critical analysis. It's incomprehensible that videos like this are allowed to go up as is.

I can understand it’s difficult to extract the tech from the ongoing disaster that Star Citizen seems to be, but from a tech point of view I found it interesting enough.

I don’t think any of it’s going to be remotely playable when it eventually comes out and all those poor buggers who’ve played god knows how much are on there all playing together, but there are moments in the video where I was definitely thinking it looks pretty.

64 bit co-ordinates and streaming worlds through object hierarchies aren’t new ideas though are they? Doesn’t Elite have gas clouds like the ones they’re describing? Cool new tech is only cool if it’s actually new. This is just an idiot who has invested in vapourware presenting old ideas like they’re impressive to try to drag more people into investing in the same old shit: promises of an imaginary game that’s 6 years late. 

29 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Nothing grates more than pretending this game that started development in 2011 before even current gen consoles were released is next-gen, just to get some more people investing.

It's next-gen technology in the sense that whatever generation you're in, it's not going to come out until afterwards.

I don't think Elite has volumetric stuff for nebulae, they're basically handled as billboards in the dynamically-generated skybox AFAIK. But that's not, y'know, some amazing technological marvel.

“In the first of a series of features, Digital Foundry examines the work-in-progress at Cloud Imperium Games as the developers continue to develop the colossal Star Citizen. In this video, we have exclusive access to the UK studio at Wilmslow,”

Great. We get to do this repeatedly. It’s not even paid for advertorial.

Wow, the very first sentence of the DF article is both a cliche and obviously, trivially self-contradictory:

Cloud Imperium Games' Star Citizen is a unique proposition: a game designed from the ground up to support the seemingly limitless scalability and scope of the PC platform - something of a rarity in the multi-platform age.

Is a game designed for the PC's scalability unique? Well, obviously no, even before you get to the part of the same sentence that describes it merely as "something of a rarity".

38 minutes ago, footle said:

“In the first of a series of features, Digital Foundry examines the work-in-progress at Cloud Imperium Games as the developers continue to develop the colossal Star Citizen. In this video, we have exclusive access to the UK studio at Wilmslow,”

Great. We get to do this repeatedly. It’s not even paid for advertorial.

If the author is a heavy investor in the game’s ship store, and stands to only benefit from that* if the game is a success, I do wonder if it breaches Eurogamer’s CoI and disclosure policies.

*In gameplay or by reselling ships. There’s a whole thread to be made about whether being $1000 in on microtransactions or Ultimate Team players or MMORPG expansions constitutes a CoI but I think it may become an important topic in the future.

Actually it might be about ethics in games journalism?

Honestly, I think it’s might be just the minor push I need to stop reading Eurogamer. It’s already pretty sterile and lacking personality, with very little content outside of DF that you couldn’t just read somewhere else. If their new personality is going to be being the site that unethically tries to trick more people into paying for this shit maybe I don’t need it so much anymore.

I used to really enjoy Eurogamer but it's very poor these days, DF is amazing though and has some incredibly in-depth tech stuff. When you read all of the horror stories behind the scenes and consider how long this has been going on for you have to wonder just how they manage to keep it all going.  The year before Witcher 3 came out I spent a fortune on a kickass gaming PC with this in mind, was really excited about a next gen Elite and everything at the time was very promising.. I mean it couldn't be all THAT far off release :lol: 5 years later  (!!??!!!) they are still showing off videos like that, by this point I'm starting to wonder if they should be fully investigated for fraud.

Just browsing the subreddit, I found someone who suggested that the developers are liars because they said the single player bit was done in 2014 but it’s still not been released. One of the replies said that because the replier was a super special extra backer they got to play special builds, and that the game was completely finished in 2014, but only with old fashioned technology where each level was loaded separately. They delayed it because they’ve spent six years implementing all the levels into one giant sandbox world so that players can travel seamlessly between the levels with no loading screens.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Eurogamer are fine generally, but the investment that guy has in Star Citizen is clearly influencing his writing. They could do with getting someone else on it instead.

I agree but can't quite believe that one of the editors there didn't kill that article as it obviously either a shill or someone deeply invested to a degree that has made them blinkered.

• 4 months later...

I think I paid like $50 dollars for this in 2012 but Friday I loaded it up for the first time as I pretty much forgot all about it and I have to say despite the odd bug and server drop every now and again I've been having fun flying round a Star system delivering wine, hauling cargo and attacking and boarding ships, it needs quite a bit of optimisation, the engine will start chugging along sometimes for no apparent reason.

15 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

I think I paid like $50 dollars for this in 2012 

Same here. I think the problem is the insane amount of content they have promised, which seems impossible. I had faith in this game years ago. I totally bought into the whole "they said pc gaming was dead" thing, and I wanted a complex story driven space sim like Wing Commander since thats a niche that we wont see on console. I even created this embarrassing thread :lol: :blush:

Sadly, this game is dead as.....dead!

20 minutes ago, hereticboy said:

Is there a handy YouTube video that explains the whole saga? I'm only vaguely aware of what's gone on with this and it seems pretty ripe for sitting back, sticking a video on and saying "No. How did that happen?" every now and then.

There might be but I'm not sure it'll make thrilling viewing.  They've constantly lied about the state of development.  There some nepotism and the financial structure of the company(s) is as dodgy as f**k.  Still, they'll release Squadron 42 in 2016, 2017,2018,2019, this year and it'll prove the doubters wrong.

Saying that I'll totally agree, where the fuck has that 300 million gone, it's been 8 years and it's nowhere near a full game right now, if you gave any real game developement company 300 mil to make a space game they would have hopefully produced something great about 4 years ago.

56 minutes ago, hereticboy said:

Is there a handy YouTube video that explains the whole saga? I'm only vaguely aware of what's gone on with this and it seems pretty ripe for sitting back, sticking a video on and saying "No. How did that happen?" every now and then.

Guaranteed Netflix six-parter in a few years.

7 hours ago, hereticboy said:

Weird and old, but this is still pretty accurate:

12 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Saying that I'll totally agree, where the fuck has that 300 million gone, it's been 8 years and it's nowhere near a full game right now, if you gave any real game developement company 300 mil to make a space game they would have hopefully produced something great about 4 years ago.

They need those expensive fast cars so they can get to work more quickly and efficiently to finish the game!