Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

They're legally required to provide what they promised or it's fraud

It's not, there's an immense about of flexibility due to the fact that, y'know, people legitimately attempt to make things and fail. I don't know where this idea has come from that crowdfunding investors have some legal Money Instantly Back Please card they can play when a project they've backed falls apart.

Especially in this case, there's literally years of accounts showing where the money has been going. You'd have a very hard time claiming this is fraud or a scam rather than just some typical project mismanagement.

Overview here, basically the FTC who protects consumers from scams.

Even Kickstarter have said creators risk legal action for non-delivery in their ToS. CIG have been insisting SC is 'delivered' for this reason, but it's a bit harder to claim SQ42 was delivered when that was what the initial crowdfunding was for, or all those JPEG ships that don't exist.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Overview here, basically the FTC who protects consumers from scams.

Even Kickstarter have said creators risk legal action for non-delivery in their ToS. CIG have been insisting SC is 'delivered' for this reason, but it's a bit harder to claim SQ42 was delivered when that was what the initial crowdfunding was for, or all those JPEG ships that don't exist.

That article says the FTC is investigating some crowdfunding campaigns. Maybe. As of 2020, they seem to have banned the operator of one particular scheme that promised some high-tech backpacks that never transpired - this seems to be the first action they've ever taken against a fraudulent crowdfunder. That isn't the same thing as introducing a law stating not delivering everything in your initial pledge is fraud.

1 minute ago, K said:

As of 2020, they seem to have banned the operator of one particular scheme that promised some high-tech backpacks that never transpired - this seems to be the first action they've ever taken against a fraudulent crowdfunder. That isn't the same thing as introducing a law stating not delivering everything in your initial pledge is fraud.

Yeah, alright, I was recollecting and didn't give a precise legal analysis or whatever, I was still a lot closer than people dropping takes they remember from discussing crowdfunding in 2012 that haven't updated with any the events since.

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah, alright, I was recollecting and didn't give a precise legal analysis or whatever, I was still a lot closer than people dropping takes they remember from discussing crowdfunding in 2012 that haven't updated with any the events since.

There's been no change in regulation, only enforcement of some existing protections around, for example, taking money and fucking off without doing any work. I don't see any significant movement that would affect RSI.

I dont want Chris Roberts to get away with it, but really all of those people deserve to get bilked if they are that stupid.  I mean, maybe a few hundred dollars is  a bit of wishful thinking.

But putting in tens or hundreds of thousands?   At some point you are just an unimaginable cretin, and if it wasn't roberts it would be some other con.

Everything - and I mean everything - that I’ve read about Roberts (stemming back from Wing Commander days) presents him as a cunt of colossal proportions.

I’m constantly staggered at the amount of money he’s been able to raise for his projects when all I see is one of the most toxic individuals in the industry.

It’s absolutely unbelievable to me that this is carrying on.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

My take is from 2013 I'll have you know

I hate it because it has eaten up all the oxygen for this type of game. I enjoy Elite, but it is far from perfect... a few iterations of similar scale to that could get something that really fits... SC however has made the 'Elite like' a bit of a joke and I cannot see the big companies getting involved (even though the cash he has raised shows there is demand)

21 minutes ago, Goose said:

I read the other day that the game regularly brings in $100K a day. The other week they two days were it was over $200K.

How much money does a successful or even mildly successful GaaS game that is actually out bring in per day? It would be equally funny and sad if they were doing just as well or even better without even actually putting out a game.

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

Fair.

Meant to mention, though there’s could be changes requested at any stage of design, apparently Roberts always has changes he wants.

At this stage, you might think that the worst thing that can happen for Roberts is the game actually being released.

It may well be the greatest game ever made (it won't be), but it'll never be as good as it's been hyped up to be.

Heh, and we all thought the furore over No Man's Sky was bad... 

17 hours ago, JoeK said:

At this stage, you might think that the worst thing that can happen for Roberts is the game actually being released.

It may well be the greatest game ever made (it won't be), but it'll never be as good as it's been hyped up to be.

Heh, and we all thought the furore over No Man's Sky was bad... 

Ι actually think that may be his only way out. Any amount of unfinished game with the "released" moniker on it will satisfy the, frankly, almost deranged crowds. 

Then all he has to say is "nothing released is perfect, huge patches coming soon" and probably have another kickstarter.

3 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Ι actually think that may be his only way out. Any amount of unfinished game with the "released" moniker on it will satisfy the, frankly, almost deranged crowds. 

Good job that’s exactly who is playing and funding this. The fanbase is closer to a cult than a group of customers, and will endlessly defend the unplayable beta that currently exists. 

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Good job that’s exactly who is playing and funding this. The fanbase is closer to a cult than a group of customers, and will endlessly defend the unplayable beta that currently exists. 

They kind of have to- if user support, and especially incoming new money from new plays disappears then they won’t get their game, so they’re obligated to maintain this facade of positivity.

When the wheels finally come off it’s going to be chaos.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Yeah. I really think we are witnessing something unprecedented in the industry. This is now beyond fanboyism and it feels like a mass delusion of lost and psychologically confused people. So, yes, a cult is a suitable moniker for them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta keep the grift griftin'

https://massivelyop.com/2020/11/30/star-citizen-debuts-new-600-gunship-at-this-years-intergalactic-aerospace-expo/

In true Star Citizen fashion, the fact that the Perseus isn’t flyable doesn’t mean it can’t be sold, and that’s just what’s happening, with a Warbond edition that includes lifetime insurance for $600, an “Ambush Pack” variant that includes lifetime insurance, the Perseus, and two Anvil Arrows for $700, or standalone versions of either at $675 and $780 respectively. And sales do indeed appear to be happening: A check of the game’s funding page, filtered for the 28th, shows a massive spike in crowdfunding, bringing the total for this ship to over $3M. Narrow things down to just the week and the IAE has been a crowdfunding driver, bringing the funding total for the period to over $4M.

Assuming for a second that this wasn't a scam, what are these people supposed to do with their £600 spaceship should it ever make it into the game? Surely buying and upgrading your ship is part of the draw of a game like this, so dropping £600 on a ridiculous ship to start in is a bit like paying someone to level up your WoW character or something.

That's the issue isn't it. Presumably in the "finished" game (lol) ships like this are going to be on sale for in game currency. So how is mr 600 dollars going to feel when someone can grind the space lanes for a week and purchase the same shit he has?

*Edit* One would also hope that they'd put in features other than buying ships in the finished product but who knows with this bunch. Maybe it's just space instagram for idiots with too much money