IGNORED

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

3 minutes ago, Mogster said:

A jpeg.

Worth every penny :omg:

I'm probably being naive for even asking this but I thought there was a playable version of this going about? Or they were releasing the squadron 42 thing first ? Or was that all just previous waffle?

(Despite the gag at the start of this post, I'm not a backer at all, I just thought there had been some movement on this recently?)

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

A jpeg.

So people pay hundreds of dollars for a ship that they can not use right now? And let's be honest, in the foreseeable future.

I thought I was daft for paying 25 euro for cosmetic mounts (WoW and FFXIV) but you know... I can use those. Seconds after the payment succeeds I'm flying around of my neat new mount.

2 minutes ago, df0 said:

So people pay hundreds of dollars for a ship that they can not use right now? And let's be honest, in the foreseeable future.

I thought I was daft for paying 25 euro for cosmetic mounts (WoW and FFXIV) but you know... I can use those. Seconds after the payment succeeds I'm flying around of my neat new mount.

Yep. I can only assume they see it as a genuine crowdfunding thing, with the promise of a reward at the end.

I think the thing that twists my melon when it comes to all this is that you've got people literally paying thousands of points to strip all their aspirations for the game and just start out with the biggest ship in the game, when half the appeal of these Elite-descendants is making the money and buying the bigger space cars. Like, the Javalin continues to sell out every single time it goes on sale.

It's not like they're going to be that rare.

It's not like there's going to be enough players to crew the fuckers.

And it's not like the game is going to get to the point where there's any point having it.

2 hours ago, fragglerock said:

To say no game is a bit harsh, flying around the city place is pretty impressive and you can go to different planets etc.

It is pretty small beer in comparison to the cost and development time... and it sure is janky but there is SOMETHING there!

I think there's just enough there - by incompetent management or genius design - to keep the whales beaching themselves.

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Maybe it would be simpler to invent time travel.

I'm building a time machine right now. If you want to invest in its development, you can buy a jpg of the time period you eventually wish to travel to once the project is completed! Gorgeous jpgs of Feudal Japan and Renaissance Rome are on sale during Cyber Monday, with a guaranteed delivery of a jpg that includes the possibility of a chance to travel to your selected time period when and if the project is up and running. Yours for only 2000 dollars per jpg, instead of the usual 4000. Awesome time period jpgs are being added to my store all the time, so check back often! 

I can't remember what Smart said exactly but even back then you didn't need to be literally smart to see they were never going to be able to deliver what was bring promised. Imo he just used that to get some attention and if I remember correctly, he tried to advertise his own space game project once he had the attention of the media. I can't remember him revealing something scandalous or shocking or anything that wasn't already patently obvious.

8 hours ago, Mogster said:

Assuming for a second that this wasn't a scam, what are these people supposed to do with their £600 spaceship should it ever make it into the game? Surely buying and upgrading your ship is part of the draw of a game like this, so dropping £600 on a ridiculous ship to start in is a bit like paying someone to level up your WoW character or something.

It’s just a chance for people who already have money to burn in real life to have another avenue to feel like they’re better than other people because they’ve got a lot of money. As far as I’m concerned at this point if you’re stupid enough to spend money on this shite you deserve to get scammed out of it. You’re either rich enough that it doesn’t matter to you or so incredibly dumb you would’ve just spent it on magic beans anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...

One of the rumours as to why it's been pushed back so far (and no you can't see it running) is because they're needing to do something about the 5 year old mo-cap stuff which may or may not be compatible with the engine they're currently using.

It's crazy to think they had staff saying that this was basically done and they'd played it end to end years ago - if this wasn't an outright lie (which it probably was) then it's a strong indication that this is never going to happen.

Crobbers is clearly keen on having the best of the best (with honours) in terms of tech but this has been going on for so long now they're going to be forever chasing.

I mean, I wouldn't actually be surprised at all if they announce a move to UE5 next year.

3 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

It's crazy to think they had staff saying that this was basically done and they'd played it end to end years ago - if this wasn't an outright lie (which it probably was) then it's a strong indication that this is never going to happen.

I'm quite confident they had an alpha build that ran from start to finish, with unfinished cutscenes, animatics, partial mission flows, etc. Just nothing remotely near shippable state. If the last game you made was in the 90s I can see someone looking at it and going "wow, we're only six to eight months away".

I suspect the big blocker on SQ42 right now is rehiring talent to account for whatever changes have happened to the story and missions. They won't do an Apocalypse and rework what they've got, they'll need to do reshoots and get Mark Hamill and co back into the booth. That could cost more than they can afford.

Is it in any way feasible that they could convert the mo-cap data into something the current engine could use? It'd presumably be expensive if its possible, but it must be less expensive than bringing in Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman, Sid Owen, etc to completely re-do their roles.

I think they did full performance capture of the facial movements too. You could recast someone the same height as Gillian Anderson but I’m not sure you could recast someone with the same face structure and expressions.

And even if they could, it makes me wonder the 3D and texture scans they did of the actors’ faces are high-enough resolution to act as sources for next-gen game graphics.

18 minutes ago, K said:

Is it in any way feasible that they could convert the mo-cap data into something the current engine could use? It'd presumably be expensive if its possible, but it must be less expensive than bringing in Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman, Sid Owen, etc to completely re-do their roles.

It depends what format the data is in, how they’ve captured it etc. I wouldn’t put it past them to have chosen formats that have turned out not to be future proof at all, but even with the best choices it’s a field that’s evolving rapidly all the time. I’d bet the data is still usable but won’t be at the fidelity of something like TLOU2 using brand new techniques and runs the risk of looking janky and old.