IGNORED

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

1 hour ago, K said:

Is it in any way feasible that they could convert the mo-cap data into something the current engine could use? It'd presumably be expensive if its possible, but it must be less expensive than bringing in Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman, Sid Owen, etc to completely re-do their roles.

Even without the celebs for performance capture (and I refuse to believe Roberts will settle for less than the original cast at this point) they'll still need to get voices done. I think it'll be a huge mess.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Hmm, I feel for the individuals to some extent and know people needs jobs so cannot always be picky about their employer but part of me feels like ‘shocker’, company defrauding the public are screwing their employers. What did anyone expect out of these twats?

How are they doing enough work for all this time that they can force people to work through that. And still not have a game after so many years. It's like they're constantly coding stuff and instead of it being saved somewhere, everything they do goes into a black hole. Or /dev/null as I seem to recall from days gone by.

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

How are they doing enough work for all this time that they can force people to work through that. And still not have a game after so many years. It's like they're constantly coding stuff and instead of it being saved somewhere, everything they do goes into a black hole. Or /dev/null as I seem to recall from days gone by.

Well, according to the absolutely sane** members of the Star Citizen Reddit, the whole article is lies and CIG should sue the pants off them. Part of the reason the game has taken so long, is because they don't force crunch time or awful working conditions (they really do state shit like this over there) :blink:

**citation needed

I seem to recall that someone on here knew someone who worked for Foundry 42 in the UK, and they said it was actually quite a nice working environment as there was very little pressure, they had loads of resource, and your portfolio would look amazing after a bit. Not sure it's somewhere you'd want work for a long time, obviously.

It seems bizarre that the game has been delayed by at least seven years, and the developer is trying to claw back weekends from its employees. I'm not sure a weekend or two is really going to make a difference at this stage.

I definitely know in the US studios they crunch, Chris Roberts was infamous for it back in the day, and they did studio tours where everyone was still there at 10pm and uploaded patches at 4am. This is all like 7 years ago or something, so it's crunch on stuff that's been reworked multiple times, Sisyphean crunch.

His brother heads up the UK studio, and had an independent career working on the Lego games, so I can imagine him treating developers better.

Yeah, now you mention it, this article I read the other day covers some of the absolutely brutal crunch on Wing Commander III:

https://www.filfre.net/2021/03/wing-commander-iii/

Including developers working until dawn, and being threatened with the sack if they took the evening off for their mum's birthday. The preceding article covers the development on Ultima VIII, which sounds similarly horrendous. Origin in general sounded like an extremely toxic environment in the early nineties.

I mean (having seen your post in the other thread) basically everything Sega ever produced, for a start. Marc Cerny, Playstation head honcho called them a "gaming sweatshop" when he worked there.

They also have crazy Yakuza ties, kidnapped a developers girlfriend to stop them from leaving and got sued for some weird Japanese working practices like making developers work in a corridor outside the loos to try and get them to leave.

On 12/03/2021 at 14:18, K said:

I seem to recall that someone on here knew someone who worked for Foundry 42 in the UK, and they said it was actually quite a nice working environment as there was very little pressure, they had loads of resource, and your portfolio would look amazing after a bit. Not sure it's somewhere you'd want work for a long time, obviously.

It seems bizarre that the game has been delayed by at least seven years, and the developer is trying to claw back weekends from its employees. I'm not sure a weekend or two is really going to make a difference at this stage.

yeah I heard that too but eventually you either have nothing to do or what you did work on was just pointless cos they'd ask for something completely unrelated instead after they'd finish it.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

That’s a brilliant idea - they must be able to sell shed loads of those.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just skimmed thrifty that trailer and for something that has cost so much and taken so long, I did a little c chuckle at one of the headlined features mentioned was "nuanced power management ".

Which not only I'd expect as a minimum since xwing and tie fighter back in the day but also some comical parallels to managing the higher ups' "power" in a development like this.