Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

59 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

after they took off and entered hyperspace i shot them in the back of head while they were in the pilot seat and took their ship and sold their cargo. That's how i realised how to make easy money  through trading. 

I've got this great get rich quick scheme. It's called murder. :)

No no no, you people just don’t understand! According to those on the sub Reddit, bedsheet tech is just the first step to having things like realistic deformation and damage on a starship. 

52 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

No no no, you people just don’t understand! According to those on the sub Reddit, bedsheet tech is just the first step to having things like realistic deformation and damage on a starship. 

Hopefully it all leads to the next planet being Sqornshellous Zeta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2022 at 13:01, Matt Defis said:

I played it for about 2 weeks and it admittedly was fun, I got myself a nice fighter for bounty missions and a big ship for hauling cargo and a big old 6 man starship, once you get yourself a big cargo hauling ship things become very easy as you can make large amounts of cash very quickly. That's where I got bored, I got the best stuff for what I wanted to do then there was nothing else so I stopped. 

It's buggy as fuck though. 

2 Weeks worth of game that’s cost $300 million is insane.

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

But why would Microsoft want to associate themselves with this game or its developer?

It was a gag about trying out games for a couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this on Youtube

And someone in the comments is saying that the Fuel Rats are leaving Elite to go play Star Citizen. These guys seems pretty serious about gaming, so does that mean Star Citizen is actually becoming a proper game?

Star Citizen is getting there, incredibly slowly, and probably has more of a future than Elite does. After playing it a few weeks back even though I decided it was shit I could see something in it. Not enough to spend money on but there's something.

The fuel rats are the sort of nerds you want playing your online nerd games. They create their own gameplay mechanics completely seperately to the developers so it's a free way of expanding the universe and making the whole thing feel more alive.

I didn't want to waste space with a post about it before but this game doesn't have an uninstaller so I had to go to each folder path and manually delete them. Fucking stupid.

1 hour ago, BoggyB said:

I didn't want to waste space with a post about it before but this game doesn't have an uninstaller so I had to go to each folder path and manually delete them. Fucking stupid.

What? You uninstall it via the control panel. 

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

I came across this on Youtube

And someone in the comments is saying that the Fuel Rats are leaving Elite to go play Star Citizen. These guys seems pretty serious about gaming, so does that mean Star Citizen is actually becoming a proper game?

It's probably more Frontier being really bad at making Elite a good game.

• 1 month later...

Can see this being the next Enron if they don't release a finished product soon, with new regulations (in the US at least) to combat this utterly absurd situation. 

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Can see this being the next Enron if they don't release a finished product soon, with new regulations (in the US at least) to combat this utterly absurd situation. 

What new regulations are these?

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

What new regulations are these?

You misunderstand, I'm saying new, more strict regulations may come into force for crowdfunding businesses if this all goes south and everyone wants their money back. 

It's what happened after Enron. But crowdfunding wasn't really a thing until a couple of years after Enron. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

You misunderstand, I'm saying new, more strict regulations may come into force for crowdfunding businesses if this all goes south and everyone wants their money back. 

It's what happened after Enron. But crowdfunding wasn't really a thing until a couple of years after Enron. 

Ah I see. I suspect we'll see nothing of the sort.

Enron lost institutions massive amounts of money (as well as a not insignificant number of individuals). Star Citizen is just hoovering money from individuals.

I'm not sure what/how you regulate here...

Crowd Funding? Some malicious/incompetent individuals asked others for money for something ambitious without any guarantees of success. They got a lot of money. They've delivered more than some projects. It's not what they promised but there's something.

Selling something that doesn't quite exist? So most of their money didn't really fall under crowd funding. It's selling ships for the game that doesn't exist. Is that different from when Virgin Galactic or Blue Origin started selling tickets to go to space? Years later both have managed to fly just once to put their billionaire owners into space and gone a bit quiet. Virgin in particular still seem to be in a shaky position w.r.t. to delivering people thier trips.

I don't think the US in particular gives a fuck about these things. Maybe the EU will step in. But I struggle to see how... Crowd funding, particularly of a digital item, is difficult to pin to a single country. How do you regulate a foreign web site giving money to essentially "small" companies who could have their HQ anywhere.

If anyone is going to regulate it then I think most likely might be Kickstarter or other platform holders. If their platform was to lose credibility with projects failing to deliver too much then maybe it collapses. So maybe they would need more checks and balances.

But most crowd funding coverage online is basically positive I think. Very little discussion of real risk or how many of these projects are basically just stores in crowd funding's clothes. It's delivered some great things but in between there is a lot of bang average and some failure.

Regardless of how stupid Star Citizen sounds now (and how overly ambitious it sounded then) that's the risk of crowd funding. 

Well I guess we'll see. But your post, and @TehStu's  about early access, just highlights why better regulation is needed. Chris Roberts and his cronies have fleeced half a BILLION from funders over the course of ten years, with no actual finished product in sight.

It's fucking wrong. 

It you go out there and suggest they’ve been fleeced you’ll be torn limb from limb though. Dissent is pretty mercilessly crushed on the forums and Reddit so all that’s left are the people who believe that it’s already better than any other game made since Wing Commander.

I suspect that most of the fan base don’t play very much else.