Uncharted Collection

robdood

2 is the high point overall I think. 4 is where they finally got the combat feeling pretty decent, but there's now far too much slow talky stuff in that one. 3 has some great sequences but also some major pacing problems. 1 really feels like an early ps2 game - like how third person shooters played before Resident Evil 4 defined the genre. 

Played through the first one myself recently and found it fine mechanically if a little weightless like you say, worth noting that they’ve improved the controls and aiming  to be more like the second game. I like it, it’s a fun little romp that doesn’t outstay its welcome, 2 is better again, and the best of that collection, 3 has a few missteps but some superb set pieces. So I’d say play through them all, 4 and Lost Legacy are both excellent, but you’ll appreciate them more having played through them in order imo. 

I’d play through them in order if you can, as that way you get the most feels from the story of Uncharted 4 which I think is masterfully told for a video game. Then you can play Lost Legacy as a greatest hits victory lap. 

I quite enjoyed 1 when I replayed it recently, it has very satisfying headshots. 

2 is the best I'd say, strikes the best balance and has the most enjoyable combat. Also the most memorable locations and best set-pieces outside of the plane crash from 3.

It's fun to see how many of the fights in 3 you can win just by throwing the baddies' grenades back at them. Shame they removed that from 4.

I recently replayed through the whole bunch, and it's certainly not a widely adopted opinion, but I think my favourite is the first one. 

The UC has unified the combat feel of all games which has elevated the original and made it feel much tighter and more fun, and I LOVE the pacing of the game. 

Lots of encounters, lot of action and a brisk pace. It's also all in one location, making it feel like a focused island adventure. I absolutely love it tbh. 

The sequels are very, very influential and do that blend of cinematic and action really well, and it's all more varied, but for me it's a much looser affair. Uncharted 2 was visually groundbreaking at the time and felt very fresh and new, and going back to them... I  actually really appreciate the meaty "gameiness" of the first one. They're all very good though, with U3 being FAR improved in it's PS4 version with the aiming fixed.      

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I recently replayed through the whole bunch, and it's certainly not a widely adopted opinion, but I think my favourite is the first one. 

The UC has unified the combat feel of all games which has elevated the original and made it feel much tighter and more fun, and I LOVE the pacing of the game. 

Lots of encounters, lot of action and a brisk pace. It's also all in one location, making it feel like a focused island adventure. I absolutely love it tbh. 

The sequels are very, very influential and do that blend of cinematic and action really well, and it's all more varied, but for me it's a much looser affair. Uncharted 2 was visually groundbreaking at the time and felt very fresh and new, and going back to them... I  actually really appreciate the meaty "gameiness" of the first one. They're all very good though, with U3 being FAR improved in it's PS4 version with the aiming fixed.      

I have to admit I loved it too on my very recent play through - it’s a really tight adventure, no padding. Still think the sub bit is one of the best spectacles in the series too. Like you say the aiming is greatly improved in the PS4 particularly at 60fps. 

31 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I never had a problem with the aiming in UC3, so I wonder if it was fixed in a later patch because it was three years ago I finally got around to playing it.

PS3 Uncharted 3 had loads and loads of input lag on launch, this was later fixed in a patch on PS3, but still felt very heavy, 

Bluepoint too on some feed back when doing the collection and basically took the aiming tuning of Uncharted 2 and allied it to all three of the games.

So the basic action of shooting is the same and fun with all three games. 

Mechanically, 4 and TLL are a lot better than the PS3 games. They're just way more dynamic with much better level design. Same as how TLoU 2 plays better than the first. It's why 1 has aged poorly imo. It's just a pop and cover shooter in small environments with none of the crazy action movie combat of the PS4 games in particular. 4 does have pacing problems though, which is why TLL is peak Uncharted. Golden Abyss is easily the worst.

4 hours ago, SF-02 said:

On PS4 I'd put them as 2>1>3>lost legacy>4

4 was so bloated and padded. 1 was a great little adventure.

For me I’d go 4>Lost Legacy>2>1>3>Golden Abyss but in all honestly I enjoyed them all greatly and each have a few issues. Still don’t understand why Golden Abyss never had a PS4 port, it’s nowhere near as good as its home console brethren but it’d be nice to have the whole collection on the one machine. 

I replayed 2 last year for the first time since it's initial release and thought it had dated quite badly. The setpieces were still decent, but the game itself is generic as hell. 

I'd probably rate Lost Legacy the highest because there's no filler. I'd go LL>2>4>3>GA>1. 

• 2 months later...

Having never played an Uncharted game ang getting this ree from Sony at the start of April, I decided to give it a go two and a half weeks ago, well, I just finished the 3rd this evening.

They were pretty fun, nothing spectacular or life changing, but the story kept me going, I'm almost tempted to grab a copy of 4 just to see how it all wraps up, although I think the first was probably my favourite, as it was all new and fresh, 3 I kind of just wanted to end as it was dragging a bit.

• 11 months later...
Just now, Fargo said:

I hope the trilogy along with 4 and Lost Legacy get the 60fps treatment on PS5 

Well, the trilogy got 60fps when they were released on PS4, and after the 60fps update on LoU2 for PS5, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too much of an issue really.

35 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Well, the trilogy got 60fps when they were released on PS4, and after the 60fps update on LoU2 for PS5, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too much of an issue really.

you’re right I’d forgotten the originals were 60fps on PS4. Having all the games at 60 would be great! I adore them all, in particular 4 and the lost legacy. 

I’d never played any before the collection came out. Irrespective of how they play, going through all three before 4 came out really made the emotional beats of the story hit harder for me. I know the story might not be why you play these games but I thought Nate and Elena’s journey was great. 

Lost Legacy is a perfectly paced love letter to the whole saga and is a wonderful way to see off the series.