IGNORED

Nintendo eShop 23rd Jul 2015

deKay

Do you think this is a good week?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As always, from Nintendolife:

Wii U eShop

Canvaleon (OXiAB Game Studio, €11.95 / £10.80 until 6th August, then €13.95 / £12.59) - This is a promising 2D platformer / adventure title with a neat twist; beyond what looks like standard play you 'paint' your hero different colours to effectively camouflage them against the backdrop. Over 30 stages are promised, so we'll blend in and get working on a review.

Blocky Bot (Mobot Studios, €2.69 / £1.89) - A developer perhaps better known for sizeable download projects, this is the studios' contribution to the wave of budget titles on the Wii U eShop. It's a simple platformer that, importantly, has a sense of style, quality and fun to it - we gave this a strong recommendation in our Blocky Bot review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Yoshi Touch & Go (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29) - An early DS game, this went all out to incorporate the Yoshi's Island style with the (at the time) unique inputs of the dual screened system. You use the stylus and microphone to tap, draw and blow in order to guide Yoshi and Baby Mario through each stage. We felt that the passing of time had taken the edge off its innovations in our Yoshi Touch & Go review.

3DS eShop

3D Streets of Rage 2 (Sega, €4.99 / £ 4.49) - As gamers of a certain age that are also big fans of retro Sega, the 3D series developed by M2 continues to press all the buttons of some of our team. This release is particularly exciting for your humble writer, who regards this as a true tour-de-force in beat-em up action, now on the 3DS in lovely 3D. We'll crack some skulls and bring you a review soon.

Ninja Battle Heroes (Tom Create, €1.99 / £1.79) - A stylish and somewhat cute action title, you wield a katana, fling some throwing stars and wreak havoc in this 2D game. A fast-paced beat-em up at a budget price, this gets a lot right - we gave this a strong recommendation in our Ninja Battle Heroes review.

Mercenaries Saga 2 (CIRCLE Entertainment, €4.99 / £3.99) - This seems like a title inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics, looking almost identical to Square Enix's legendary turn-based strategy title, incorporating the same isomeric view and very similar animation; that's not necessarily a bad thing. We're still questing through this for review.

3DS Retail Download

I Love My Cats (Bigben Interactive, €24.99 / £19.99) - We imagine this is rather like I Love My Dogs, but with cats. It's all in the title.

3DS Temporary Discounts

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom, €29.99 / £24.99 until 30th July if you've downloaded Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo Version with the same Nintendo Network ID - normally €44.99 / £39.99)

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (Atlus, €14.99 / £13.49 until 30th July, normally €29.99 / £24.99)

Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (Akaoni Studio, €4.99 / £4.49 until 21st August, normally €7.00 / £6.30)

I quite like Streets of Rage 2 but I don't £4.49 like Streets of Rage 2. Sorry. Pretty sure this makes me history's greatest monster.

In all honesty, in order to have this version, I would have paid however much Sega wanted me to pay.

Hey, eShop guys!

I've just got a 3DS XL from the Trading Folder.

I did/do have an old 3dS in the family, but it didn't really take, and I'm now a few years out of date.

What are the good games on the eShop for 3DS? Is there a list somewhere?

Strong recommendations:

Phoenix Wright - Dual Destinies

Phoenix Wright Trilogy

Most of the Sega 3D Classics (like yon Streets of Rage 2), particularly Galaxy Force 2, Outrun, Hang On and Space Harrier

You can do FLYING HEADBUTTS in Streets of Rage II (and dash Golden Axe style) with Skate. I don't remember that. I might not have even played with this character before.

Come to think of it don't think I did end up properly playing this back in the day. The variety of attack moves, aesthetics, game-wide balance and refinement this seems to have is something to behold.

Edit: Random thought - Comix Zone 3D, please.

I honestly think it's all going to happen, I mean if the Gunstar Heroes port is happening I think they'll just keep churning them out.

My 3DS really is an Awesome Sega 3D Classics playing machine.

Hey, eShop guys!

I've just got a 3DS XL from the Trading Folder.

I did/do have an old 3dS in the family, but it didn't really take, and I'm now a few years out of date.

What are the good games on the eShop for 3DS? Is there a list somewhere?

Pullblox!

Oh man, the SOR2 credits made me chuckle last night. Great that these old classics are getting treated with so much respect by M2, amazing work. The soundtrack to this is still one if the most foot-tappingly catchy in gaming.

Also thanks for the heads up for Mercenary Saga 2 Duckula. £3.99 for an Asda smart-price Final Fantasy Tactics, but even an Asda smart-price Final Fantasy Tactics still tastes so good. Solid little srpg so far, with a main character called Kenneth.

Really, I can't quite get over what an incredibly put together game SOR2 is.

I remember the discussions back in the day - Double Dragon vs Streets of Rage vs Final Fight, how they played against the backdrop of home console wars raging whilst arcades were still a mystical force that had you scrambling for 10s and 20s every time you fancied taking a trip into town.

Now, to me there's no question that Sega killed the whole scrolling fighting genre off with SOR. The first game was heavily indebted to Double Dragon and the second indebted to Final Fight (and Street Fighter 2 to a degree) - but outdid FF by virtue of its greater depth (as much as these kinds of games can have), variety and overall style.

For me Streets Of Rage 2 joins Super Hang On and Fantasy Zone II as plain simple must-buy 3DS games, no excuses. I'll no doubt add 3D Gunstar Heroes to the list of elite, crème de la crème Sega-ports-from-their-golden-age next month too but in the meanwhile - for the price of a pint - this is an utterly essential download.

All the SEGA 3D games are essential, really, but Outrun would/should be the top of anyone's list.

Gunstar would probably top it for me, though.

Edit: It won't happen but, obviously, S3&K 3D would make me so happy.

Sonic 3 has a music licensing problem, it actually hasn't been made available on anything new since the 2011 Steam release. The fantastic mobile remasters stopped at 2.

It's not quite as problematic as Outrun and Ferrari, but similarly costs SEGA money to release these days. Unless they put in the old PC soundtrack. Noone wants that.

SOR23D's casual mode is so casual it's funny. Put it on Casual, then select Mania (aka the hardest mode) in the in-game menu itself. Watch as you one hit kill 4 bars of health on the first boss. :lol:

Watching the credits in the main menu is worth it for a good laugh also. Glad they bothered putting things like that in.

Honestly my only complaint compared to the original is the D-Pad, I think I'll always prefer the 8-way/whatever the official term is for the SEGA style D-Pads is for games like this, but it's no deal breaker, much like in the first game. Far more positives than cons.

The 3D hasn't made me go wow like the first SOR, but I've barely played yet. The boat level/level 5 in SOR3D was a sight to see. :wub:

Edit: Being able to play as the whole cast in a single run is a nice touch/option.