Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition for every platform! (including Xbox Game Pass)

I played quite a bit (not looked, but I'd estimate 20+ hours) of this on PS4,  but now have a Series S and Game Pass. Was thinking of starting again, but the prospect of repeating that time doesn't really appeal.

Any major reasons to restart on Xbox? Noted the point about loading time, which would be nice. 

On 07/12/2020 at 20:44, MattyP said:

Does this game even benefit from being 60fps TBH? Seems to be the current obsession everywhere these days!:D 

The problem is that once you've got used to 60 or 120FPS, going back to 30fps makes you keep thinking there's something wrong with your hardware, or that it's installing something in the background which is affecting the game performance.

9 hours ago, routeburn said:

I played quite a bit (not looked, but I'd estimate 20+ hours) of this on PS4,  but now have a Series S and Game Pass. Was thinking of starting again, but the prospect of repeating that time doesn't really appeal.

Any major reasons to restart on Xbox? Noted the point about loading time, which would be nice. 

The PS4 wasn't the definitive edition, was it? The orchestral music throughout is a lovely addition, there is also the 2D side quest world you can do. A mention of expanded plot or something was mentioned but I've no idea what that actually means.

It's a fantastic game, one I haven't fully completed and probably won't but that's down to me being a bit stupid.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

The PS4 wasn't the definitive edition, was it? The orchestral music throughout is a lovely addition, there is also the 2D side quest world you can do. A mention of expanded plot or something was mentioned but I've no idea what that actually means.

I believe in the middle of a game there is a bunch of new story content added. I won't go into detail as to not to spoil the plot. 

The orchestral music is a huge improvement. I had to stop with the original ps4 release as the terrible quality midi music was doing my nut in. Like they got a developer's gran to bring her Lidl keyboard in to the office to bang out the tunes. 

On 18/12/2020 at 14:21, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I believe in the middle of a game there is a bunch of new story content added. I won't go into detail as to not to spoil the plot. 

I've just reached that point. I'd not really been following the IGN walkthrough in detail but wanted some sort of chapter list so I had an idea of how far through I was. I can't seem to find a chapter list for this updated version. 

9 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I've just reached that point. I'd not really been following the IGN walkthrough in detail but wanted some sort of chapter list so I had an idea of how far through I was. I can't seem to find a chapter list for this updated version. 

You will soon be back to the starting point of the second half as covered in those guides. I would say 2-3 hours extra content. 

Installed this on Series S from Game Pass. First impressions are :hat:. Looks like the textures, resolution and frame rate (consistency if not overall rate) are nicely improved over the PS4. Music is lovely. I'll just skip my way though the cutscenes to quickly get back to where I was up to on PS4. A nice little upgrade.

5 hours ago, routeburn said:

Installed this on Series S from Game Pass. First impressions are :hat:. Looks like the textures, resolution and frame rate (consistency if not overall rate) are nicely improved over the PS4. Music is lovely. I'll just skip my way though the cutscenes to quickly get back to where I was up to on PS4. A nice little upgrade.

I thought everyone was annoyed that the definitive edition was a graphical downgrade compared to the original because it was based on the switch version.

23 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Oh man, I’ve had fun with this but....

Hide contents

Calasmos can get to fuck. He’s an insane spike that clearly wants me to grind. Well, nope.

It's not so much that you need to grind, but maybe enjoy the end game a bit more. 

There is a method to defeat it. Something to make it more manageable to beat. It's a bit annoying as it's something you won't realise and it's not used in the rest of the game. I'd suggest googling the strategy to beat it. 

3 hours ago, wretcherd said:

I thought everyone was annoyed that the definitive edition was a graphical downgrade compared to the original because it was based on the switch version.

It definitely is! Lighting is the biggest and most notable change alongside less complex geometry.

In terms of next-gen, it seems that on PS5 DQXI is pretty much the same as on PS4, however DQXIS gets a framerate bump to 60fps. Same on Xbox Series.

Oh and original version is no longer available on PSN.

34 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

It's not so much that you need to grind, but maybe enjoy the end game a bit more. 

Honestly, I think I need to grind. I’ve done all the quests, all of the trials bar one, there is literally nothing else left for me to do. I’m at level 70. I think I need to be at least 10-15 levels higher.

I’ve had fun, but I’ve not got the motivation to grind stuff I’ve already done just to get to the level it wants me to be to finish. I’m ready now in terms of content, so it feels cheap that the game has basically decided I need to invest more time. I’ve given it damn near 90 hours already.

12 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Honestly, I think I need to grind. I’ve done all the quests, all of the trials bar one, there is literally nothing else left for me to do. I’m at level 70. I think I need to be at least 10-15 levels higher.

I’ve had fun, but I’ve not got the motivation to grind stuff I’ve already done just to get to the level it wants me to be to finish. I’m ready now in terms of content, so it feels cheap that the game has basically decided I need to invest more time. I’ve given it damn near 90 hours already.

It's really worth just checking what you have to do to win then. It made it too easy in the end, but I got to see the end!

27 minutes ago, rgraves said:

It was pretty easy for me to get to level 99 whilst completing the various side quests and collecting resources to make the best equipment.

Spoilers below on tactics.

Spoiler

You need to use the sword of light first when you start the battle. Check your equipment, certain weapons or equipment give buffs which are useful to make the last fight far easier. Also using certain skills like Channel Anger & Magic Burst with Veronica will kick his ass!

16 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

It's really worth just checking what you have to do to win then. It made it too easy in the end, but I got to see the end!

There are a few things you can do only after the end so make sure you explore.

14 hours ago, wretcherd said:

How interesting. I'll fire up the original on PS4, which I have on disc, to compare. I just thought the XSS version looked really nice and smooth. I'll compare the two!

From what I can tell from threads like this one (https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/ibkw38/ps4_dragon_quest_xi_s_vs_xi_help_me_understand/), it appears that in the Definitive edition some of the models and textures have been altered in order to achieve better frame rate. However, majority opinion appears to be that the Definitive version is the one to play.

Playing this from scratch on the Series X while my son is playing my Switch version. It looks so much better on Xbox, 60fps and a much better resolution. Not 100% sold on the HDR implementation, varies between appearing great and then a bit washed out. Looking back at the Switch version (which I thought great on release) in either handheld on docked and it looks so blurry, presumably 30fps and the longer load times. 

It’s also still incredible and up there as one the very best JRPGs of the last 5-10 years.

Very end of game spoilers:

Spoiler

I mean it, don't click unless you've really finished the game.

Spoiler

So just basically "picking" a waifu is kind of weird... But still, you better believe I picked

Spoiler

Sylvando.

Because who the fuck else could it be really?

On 21/12/2020 at 20:13, Nosejam said:

It’s also still incredible and up there as one the very best JRPGs of the last 5-10 years.

I am totally in love with it. Especially near the mid way point it really picks up pace. And it is a very simple, classic and nostalgic JRPG without too much of the menu bloat and systems on top of systems on top of systems. 

Good to see it as a Must Play on Metacritic as well as its highed ranked game of the year: https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-of-an-elusive-age---definitive-edition

So far it is a strong GOTY candidate for me (based on Xbox release date). I am absolutely hooked on it.

On 22/12/2020 at 03:13, Nosejam said:

Playing this from scratch on the Series X while my son is playing my Switch version. It looks so much better on Xbox, 60fps and a much better resolution. Not 100% sold on the HDR implementation, varies between appearing great and then a bit washed out. Looking back at the Switch version (which I thought great on release) in either handheld on docked and it looks so blurry, presumably 30fps and the longer load times. 

Is it using the Series X auto-HDR thing? I'm playing on a One X and there's no HDR, unless I've missed something.

How are the characters in this? Even though i liked JRPG's on the SNES and PS1 (and a couple in between since then) i cant handle the annoying screeching characters in most of them. Is the story good and written well? (for a game)

Just now, Ry said:

How are the characters in this? Even though i liked JRPG's on the SNES and PS1 (and a couple in between since then) i cant handle the annoying screeching characters in most of them. Is the story good and written well? (for a game)

The characters, bar one,  are simply some of the finest in gaming. The story is basic good v evil but the presentation is incredible and the localisation is unmatched. I still think DQVIII pips this as they pitched the difficulty perfectly. I found the options here tilted either side of just right for me. Still one of the best games I've played in years.

14 minutes ago, Steven said:

The characters, bar one,  are simply some of the finest in gaming. The story is basic good v evil but the presentation is incredible and the localisation is unmatched. I still think DQVIII pips this as they pitched the difficulty perfectly. I found the options here tilted either side of just right for me. Still one of the best games I've played in years.

Thanks for the info, that's some high praise. Will give it a go.