PS+ August 2015; Lara Croft, LIMBO (PS4), Stealth Inc 2, Sound Shapes (PS4/PS3/Vita), GoW: Ascension (PS3), Castlestorm (PS3/Vita)

toythatkills

Not the best month for me, but not the worst either - in fact, it's a 50:50 split between games I'll ignore and games I'm happy to get.

Limbo I finished years ago on 360 and have no interest in retrying, I never liked the original Stealth Inc. so I'm not too interested in that, and I don't enjoy the God of War games (not to mention I'm not about to lug the PS3 out of retirement just for that).

On the other hand, I've no idea what CastleStorm is, I'll be happy to have Temple of Osiris for local co-op fun, and I've considered getting Sound Shapes in the past, so I'll happily take those! Worth the <£3 the month has cost, for sure.

I appreciate the original poster didn't manage it, but can someone tell me why Lara Croft isn't good? It just seems... impossible given the quality of the first one.

Basically, if it's good this is a great month. If not, not.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot my Vita! I almost got Sound Shapes last week so that's cool. Is the only Beck song the one that's in the demo?

I appreciate the original poster didn't manage it, but can someone tell me why Lara Croft isn't good? It just seems... impossible given the quality of the first one.

It's honestly hard to explain. Like, you can look at screenshots of the two games and it's basically the same thing so it would make total sense that they're as good as each other, but the sequel just isn't. I can't even put my finger on what it is. There are a few minor things but I can't really explain why overall the game just isn't any fun.

Guardian of Light I sat and played for hours, then hours again in co-op, beat all the achievements, unlocked everything, I adore it. Osiris I've played for about an hour and I just cannot be bothered to play another minute of it because something just doesn't feel right.

The minor things are the inclusion of a hub instead of just the level select screen from the original. This slows the game down so much and adds literally nothing, because the hub world is shit. It's just a big, boring area which makes it very difficult to know where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to do. Finished level one and want to start level two? Well, have fun trying to find it for the next five minutes. It's just pointless.

They took away the spear, which was an amazing source of puzzles in the original, and replaced it with nothing.

There's some shitty in-game currency called gems which you have to collect to pay to open chests, which then give you shit items you don't even want and so you have to collect more gems.

The original game was so tightly designed, the sequel just has no idea what made the original so good. They've made it look the same and figured that's all it was that made it good, but that's not what it was, it was so much more than that.

I'd probably try Lara Croft because I like wee co-op things. I haven't played the first one so hopefully the parts where it falls short will go unnoticed.

Limbo I very, very almost bought recently. I've never played the full game because the demo on 360 was very dull but people keep going on about it (or at least they did, yeeaaaaars ago) so maybe it is good.

It's honestly hard to explain. Like, you can look at screenshots of the two games and it's basically the same thing so it would make total sense that they're as good as each other, but the sequel just isn't. I can't even put my finger on what it is. There are a few minor things but I can't really explain why overall the game just isn't any fun.

Guardian of Light I sat and played for hours, then hours again in co-op, beat all the achievements, unlocked everything, I adore it. Osiris I've played for about an hour and I just cannot be bothered to play another minute of it because something just doesn't feel right.

The minor things are the inclusion of a hub instead of just the level select screen from the original. This slows the game down so much and adds literally nothing, because the hub world is shit. It's just a big, boring area which makes it very difficult to know where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to do. Finished level one and want to start level two? Well, have fun trying to find it for the next five minutes. It's just pointless.

They took away the spear, which was an amazing source of puzzles in the original, and replaced it with nothing.

There's some shitty in-game currency called gems which you have to collect to pay to open chests, which then give you shit items you don't even want and so you have to collect more gems.

The original game was so tightly designed, the sequel just has no idea what made the original so good. They've made it look the same and figured that's all it was that made it good, but that's not what it was, it was so much more than that.

I just recently finished LC:GoL and LC:ToO, gotta say I prefer LC:ToO. The hub world has lots of challenges to find as well some action and puzzle stuff. Best thing to do with the gems is save up 1000 then open a gold chest for very good reward, it makes collecting the gems not just about points. I think LC:ToO has much better and bigger bosses and is overall a step up from the first one. Only downside is the map doesn't tell you exactly where you are.

I'm now playing the game again on Steam in 3D.

I don't really like Sound Shapes at all despite it being exactly the kind of thing I usually go nuts for. Your control over the orb thing just feels wrong and heavy somehow. The Beck level is pretty cool, though.

Wiling to give Lara Croft a go as I loved the original although the comments so far have tempered my enthusiasm a bit!

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot my Vita! I almost got Sound Shapes last week so that's cool. Is the only Beck song the one that's in the demo?

There are three Beck songs. You progress through the game by completing groups of levels that all have a certain visual theme and that all have music from a certain artist, so there's a group of levels with Jim Guthrie music, a group with deadmau5 tunes, etc. :)

Is Limbo not on Vita as well then?

Been on for the Vita/PS3 before.

Quite pleased Ascension is being added even though I played and completed it last year. It's really under rated and probably the second best in the series after 2. Suffered from being released at the tail end of the PS3 era I think. The multiplayer is supposed to be good too, so will give that a try with hopefully a numbers bump from being added to the service.

Anyway nearly bought sound shapes a few times so happy with that...

Sound Shapes is the most average thing until you complete it and unlock death mode and it's the absolute best. A bewildering choice to hide the best part of a game where most people will never encounter it but there you go. A real gem of a thing, epsecially well suited to the Vita.

Yeah, don't get too excited about Lara Croft ToO.

I played through GoL in co-op with a friend and loved it so we both rushed to get the sequel (with season pass) and didn't get on with it at all. We got to the end because we'd paid for it, but not with much enthusiasm. Compare that with GoL that left us wanting more and replaying bits.

It might be better if you never played the original, I suppose. Part of the problem is that it doesn't do much more than that game (less in some respects because the levels and puzzles never get as complicated/interesting)