rllmuk
SMD

Final Fantasy XII remake/remaster/rerelease/re-record not fade away?

I'm still properly surprised that after 20 hours I don't hate any of the main party. Vaan is a bit boring but not Tidus, Squall or (don't neg me pls) Cloud levels of obnoxiousness and Balthier is actually a wee bit cool imo. Might be the waistcoat.

Not the thread for it but as I've been playing I've been thinking about the lower-key or misunderstood JRPGs of yestertimes and I'm getting more and more interested in trying Vagrant Story again which I played quite briefly at the time and seems to have been buried ever since. Anyone played that recently? How does it hold up? Weirdly when I searched the forum for a thread I found this:

• Upvote 1

Vagrant Story is one of my favourite games, but it's definitely a game of it's time. The main annoyances are the weapon swapping and storage chests. There's no quick way of switching weapons, you have to go into the menu, which loads quite slowly. You'll be swapping weapons often too. As for the storage chests, you can't store anything without saving, which also takes quite a while. If you've forgotten to store something then you have to go through it all again.

Don't let me put you off though :D it's got some of the best music and storytelling of any game, in my opinion. And yes, it does kind of feel like FFXII.

• Upvote 1

Nice, worth a try again at least then. I remember putting a few hours in but then getting to a boss that obviously required me to have understood a tutorial or mechanic I'd missed because I did almost no damage and chipping it out was way too hard for me. It was pretty and did a number of unique things though from what I recall.

The battles are like that, you have to get good at chain attacks. There's no way to win without them, and boss fights always come down to taking miniscule amounts off, but for every chain you hit your damage increases. I can only ever hit a 14-chain consistently, and then I hit a mental barrier and lose it. A 14-chain does decent damage though e.g.(1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14 = 105 damage).

There are proper weapon guides online which will make the game a bit easier. That's another thing to keep in mind - you can't use the same weapon for all enemies. Weapons increase their effectiveness against that specific type of enemy the more you use them, but as one stat increases another decreases. So for example, using a weapon against humans may cause it to become less effective against phantoms. It's quite complicated.

Back on topic, are there recommended roles/builds for the characters? I think the only ones where I deviated from the norm were Vaan, and Penelo. For Vaan they were clearly angling for stabby stabby theif, but I went for Black Mage. With Penelo I went for white mage. For the others I chose the ones thaf fitted the weapon sets they had. 

I started this shortly before switching to FFVIIRemake, and stuck with what I assumed were the intended roles apart from White Mage for Penello and Red Battlemage for Ashe. I'm worried this might have made Penello a bit redundant at the moment though, as Ashe does more damage and has a bunch of healy spells too.

I thought Penelo was intended to be a white mage and I'm the hat trick of people who've done it now. My Vaan is a Bushi though because I like katanas. Balthier (I went Machinist) and Fran (Archer) seemed a bit more ambiguous though.

I did read a Eurogamer article before I started that made a big deal about not stressing over "right" roles though, and everything is reversible. 

From what I can remember you can do what you want with the characters. I think I had Vaan/Balthier as my DPS-dealer, then Basch/Ashe as my tank/white/green mage and then Penelo/Fran as my black mage. One of the abilities you get makes all the enemies concentrate on one character only, which is very useful as you can set it on your highest def character and make him heal him/herself while the others act as glass cannons, annihilating from afar.

There's lots of different things you can do. It's great.

Speaking of machinist, the license grid has a bunch of what I assume are unique machinist abilities that I still haven't been able to buy. Where do you get them? :unsure:

On 26/04/2020 at 10:53, Yasawas said:

I'm still properly surprised that after 20 hours I don't hate any of the main party.

Fran is terrible. Dressed like a playboy bunny, and an actress that completely phones it in.

Liking everyone else though. Just got had the Dawn shard. Enjoying the Gambit system, though I feel the game isn't fully needing it right now other than for healing. 

Oooh, I have decisions to make regarding second roles for everyone. :D

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Fran is terrible. Dressed like a playboy bunny, and an actress that completely phones it in.

Liking everyone else though. Just got had the Dawn shard. Enjoying the Gambit system, though I feel the game isn't fully needing it right now other than for healing. 

Marmite character, I love her voice acting it’s such an odd accent, Bjork like almost.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Some arse, but.

I don't think I've ever played an RPG with English VO when an alternative was available now that you mention that. I always just assume they'll be unbearable.

• Upvote 1

I just completed FF12 twice back to back on switch (didn't bother with new game plus which felt a bit crap). I really don't think it matters much what licences you go for - I just looked up what I had at completion second time round and it was Vaan - Knight/Bushi (level 61), Penelo - Red Battlemage/Black Mage (level 61), Ashe - Foebreaker/Shikari (level 56), Fran - White Mage/Machinist (level 30), Basch - Knight/Time Battlemage (level 36) and Balthier - Uhlan/Monk (level 24). Every team and role set up sort of works together as long as you think things through. As you can guess my lead team for this play through was Vaan, Penelo and Ashe, with me bringing in Fran tactically every now and then mostly for a dispelga and a nifty pre-battle protectga and occasionally a curaja or arise, Basch less often but mainly for slowga and haste and poor old Balthier very rarely but from memory I think he had curaja too. Oh and I used all of them if a battle needed two lots of quickenings. To be fair Balthier played a front line team role first time through :)

Are Quickenings never properly explained or did I just skip past something? My experience with them so far is you get a fancy animation, then a quick timer with a button prompt, no explanation of what it does, then a fancy attack that only does about as much damage as the standard ones.

This sounds like a great remaster from what people are saying and it's nice when companies put the effort in but I wish there was some kind of standard for digital manuals these days. I think the 3DS had that, but this gen hasn't really adopted it.

Quickenings and getting to know how to use them are pretty darn crucial, especially early in the game against some of the bosses. I'm not sure they're exactly self explanatory but the idea is to trigger a series of back to back quickenings and if you can sequence enough you can do big damage. One quickening on its own is a complete damp squib 

1 minute ago, Stolly said:

Quickenings and getting to know how to use them are pretty darn crucial, especially early in the game against some of the bosses. I'm not sure they're exactly self explanatory but the idea is to trigger a series of back to back quickenings and if you can sequence enough you can do big damage. One quickening on its own is a complete damp squib 

Care to explain in detail how they work? I'm in the same boat as Yasawas. I used one last night, and saw an option to press triangle during it, which I did, but I had no idea when to press that or why I was pressing it. The end result was pretty, but otherwise...

200.gif.3f43b4e72111e6513f98290c186f8c94.gif

Quickenings is all about watching the bottom right of the screen after triggering the first quickening and then triggering (within a time limit) a sequence of follow up quickenings from the other team members. Each team member can get up to three quickenings and these can be recharged when used if you're quick enough too. I managed to get a max sequence of 15 once but 7 to 12 was more common 

• Upvote 1

I think it’s something like: select the attack you want to use; if none are available, hit spin for the chance to get others, or (if it shows up) select Mist Charge to reset the number of commands a character can execute. Also the orange blocks by each command denote the “cost” of each, so you could chain three cheap ones or spend it all on one expensive command and hope for a Mist Charge.

I don’t remember it being explained that well in the game though: I tended to repeatedly spin and hope for the best!

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Hang on a second there. An actress who phones it in? This actress surprised me massively when I looked properly into what she does with the voice and accent. She’s a woman who appeared in an old Dexter episode who turned out to be some crazy killer or something on the show. Anyway the main thing is that she wasn’t actually of that accent at all and I found it quite amazing how she went from her American accent to this quite unique approach. Quite like a Danish sort of thing l. Still I liked it. 

Dressed like a playboy bit, yeah can give you that one though. 

38 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think it’s something like: select the attack you want to use; if none are available, hit spin for the chance to get others, or (if it shows up) select Mist Charge to reset the number of commands a character can execute. Also the orange blocks by each command denote the “cost” of each, so you could chain three cheap ones or spend it all on one expensive command and hope for a Mist Charge.

I don’t remember it being explained that well in the game though: I tended to repeatedly spin and hope for the best!

It definitely wasn't explained but, once you've noticed the buttons in the bottom right hand corner (X, Y and B on the switch) with your in play squad of three to choose from, it's not that difficult to work out. The other thing is that the 'spin' will sometimes give you a one, two or three quickening special moves and if you use up a team member's 3 quickenings all in one go, you will need to hit a mist charge next time you get a chance to bring that player's quickenings back into play

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Soulstar said:

Hang on a second there. An actress who phones it in? This actress surprised me massively when I looked properly into what she does with the voice and accent. She’s a woman who appeared in an old Dexter episode who turned out to be some crazy killer or something on the show. Anyway the main thing is that she wasn’t actually of that accent at all and I found it quite amazing how she went from her American accent to this quite unique approach. Quite like a Danish sort of thing l. Still I liked it. 

Dressed like a playboy bit, yeah can give you that one though. 

Anyone can put on accent on, but if that's all they do then it's still just spoken words. Her delivery is terrible, every time Fran speaks she sounds disinterested. 

edit: Just done an IMDB, she was never in Dexter, are you thinking of someone else?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Anyone can put on accent on, but if that's all they do then it's still just spoken words. Her delivery is terrible, every time Fran speaks she sounds disinterested. 

edit: Just done an IMDB, she was never in Dexter, are you thinking of someone else?

Ill have a look see if I can find he. I know what you mean by the disinterested persona but I always thought that was part of who Fran was. Quite an odd character but I didn’t mind it amongst the others. 

[Edit]

You're right about the Dexter link. The actress I was thinking of in that was actually connected to Fallout 4. The woman who voiced Fran is from Australia.

I suppose if it worked for you, that's cool. It just doesn't for me. Back onto the topic of the game, I just left Jahara. Before doing that I mopped up the hunts that were available. Only one left on my list now and that needs Giza to be dry again. Really enjoying this. Everything feels old school, even the script which is ... eeehh. But it has heart, despite the amateur writing I am enjoying the story. The overall feel of the game reminds me a lot of KOTOR. 

It's all very Star Wars and I love it. The settings, the music and the needlessly convoluted and confusing imperial political wrangling. I find it very reminiscent of the prequels.

Despite my somewhat facetious reply yesterday thanks all for the advice about Quickenings. I landed one for thousands of HP yesterday and it made a little more sense - I think my confusion before was mainly due to only a couple of characters having one, it makes more sense when you have a number stocked and ready to link.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely loving the Gambit system now. Would have loved this in FFVII remake. Question though:

Why have, Ally: status = Blind > Blindna, when Ally: any > Blindna will still only cast Blindna on allies with blind status? 

For slow, yeah I get you want to specify that for haste but otherwise, why? 

Must say, for such an old school game, some of the facial animation is rather well done.