IGNORED

People Complain That Games Are Too Expensive...

routeburn

I'm finding it a double edged sword. 14 or so years ago when I spent £35 on a megadrive game I played it to death because I wanted to get my money's worth, particularly as I earnt a pittance compared to now.

Now, like many of you, I try not to spend more than £20 on a new game, but I tend to flit fron one to another, rarely feeling satisfied like I used to. I've bought five new games under £20 and am only really trying to complete PoP properly.

I know I got more enjoyment out of my games in the good old days.

Kids today have it too easy etc.

I don't see why people keep comparing today's prices to those of the Megadrive/SNES era. They were grossly overpriced to hell, whereas now they're just overpriced. £40 is a criminal amount to ask for a game, especially since they don't cost anywhere near that of a Hollywood blockbuster (priced at up to £25 on DVD).

Someone mentioned "a lot of people don't buy games, just rent" and it's made me think maybe that's what I should be doing. With the majority of games I play them for every spare minute when I first get them, then after a couple of weeks rarely touch them again (with the exception of certain "classics", though these are invariably multiplayer things - Mario Kart, various shoot em ups etc).

I'm convinced that overall I'm spending more on games than I ever used to.

Same here.

I really cannot play them fast enough. I'd put in two hours on PN03 before the GTA Double Pack arrived, which meant my Pal GC got unplugged sometime last week, and hasn't been swtiched back on since. PN03, GTA3 and VC were £15 each, and then saturday I got TopSpin for £15 too (Thanks to Beertiger :huh:). Thankfully, I'd already got bored of PGR by the time PN03 had arrived, and it only cost me a fiver anyway, so I don't care.

That's something I find myself saying a lot lately. My mum asked me if I was enjoying that new tennis game, and I just replied, "It's alright, but it was only £15, so I don't care."

I'm still not happy about buying utter shite, but if a game is merely "alright," then for <£20, I'm not at all bothered.

I am gonna have to stop buying games now though. I have simply boguht too many, and most of them are going to remain unfinished unless I get them played soon. Donkey Konga must have had about four hours playtime, if that. £25 an hour is a bloody scary price to be paying.

Are there any games people do pay full price for though? Be that £30 online, or £40 in-store? Is it surprising the days of "Hardcore games are numbered," as Edge put it, when we wait for titles to hit £15/20, while Jonny Joystick will pay £40 for MOH and FIFA?

Are there any games people do pay full price for though? Be that £30 online, or £40 in-store? Is it surprising the days of "Hardcore games are numbered," as Edge put it, when we wait for titles to hit £15/20, while Jonny Joystick will pay £40 for MOH and FIFA?

I paid over the odds for Animal Crossing (and so far very happy with that price) given that it was £35 + £10 import duty (but I've had a chat with CD WOW and they've now made this perfectly clear on their Website).

I would also pay the "going rate" for anything that was:

a ) given very good reviews by people whose opinion I trust (i.e. many folk on this forum)

b ) been something that I'm dead set on (such as Halo 2)

c ) something that would get use by others in addition to or more than myself (e.g. EyeToy / Dancemat games etc.)

I would certainly not pay the current RRP for something I didn't know anything about, or appeared to be a "hype and marketing" title (such as most things from EA).

Games are too expensive. The price per hour argument doesn't really apply for most as 80% of gamers never complete games anyway.

Once you get below £25 impulse buying kicks in. I've picked up loads of games cheap that I would never have paid £40 for.

I was looking at the game guides in Game yesterday and was thinking that I would pick up 20 or so a year if they were a fiver each rather than the 2-3 a year i get at £10 each.

Its all about perception.

Something said elsewhere in the forum came to mind too.. I would certainly pay £40+ for a "high quality epic" such as Zelda <insert favourite Zelda game here>, Halo[1|2], Metroid Prime etc. but there's definitely a place for more "disposable" titles such as Gregory Horror (for example).

Again, more shorter, cheaper, games please! But at the same time, don't stop developing the epics. Just stop selling crap games for £40 because that's the going rate.

Games are too expensive. The price per hour argument doesn't really apply for most as 80% of gamers never complete games anyway.

Once you get below £25 impulse buying kicks in. I've picked up loads of games cheap that I would never have paid £40 for.

I was looking at the game guides in Game yesterday and was thinking that I would pick up 20 or so a year if they were a fiver each rather than the 2-3 a year i get at £10 each.

Yeah like today I bought 3 titles for less than the price of one new one.

Panzer Dragoon Orta (£15)

Capcom Vs SNK 2 (£10)

Genma Onimusha (£10)

I got these but was so tempted by many other titles even at an only slightly reduced price of £30 like moto GP2, Colin Mcrae 4 or even Amped 2. If games cam out at £30 or even £35 I would buy a lot more than I do now.

I see it this way. I bought Amplitude last week for £20 and I dont even own a PS2. I bought Freestyle Metal X at the weekend for £20 even though its average at best.

I would never have bought either of these in a million years at their full RRP.

Where from?

I think the price per hour argument really does apply, even if you're 'casual' and even if you don't finish a game. There are still plenty of hours to be had from a game you don't finish.

The 'finishing' of games is a bit of a red herring, and seems to be used to say that games are failing the casual gamer becuase you always finish a movie (watch to the end) or finish an album (listen to all the tracks). Games are different, and for many games finishing needs a better analogy - more like fully appreciating a movie (recognising all the references and appreciating all the metaphors and analogies). Ok, that's pretty poor, but what I mean is that you can watch a movie and miss out on many levels of complexity and still enjoy it and get your money's worth. Playing a game and not completing all the missions or not getting to the last level is often just the same. As long as you had fun and enjoyed the time you did play it, there's no problem - the game hasn't failed its audience.

My worst recent purchase was Lost Kingdoms on GC for a tenner. It was recommened on here, and I thought it was worth the risk. I played it in total for about 2 or 3 hours and thought it was rubbish, and will probably never boot it up again. I'm disappointed, but not that upset, and I got some enjoyment out of it. I've probably not seen 90% of the content, but I think this isn't any different from buying a shit DVD or shit album, or going to see a shit movie at the cinema (even though I saw all 90 minutes of the shit film).

I paid full price for Monkey Ball 2, and I've gotten nowhere near to completing it, and probably never will, but I've had probably 20 or more hours of fun out of it so far, and that compares favourably with the price / entertainment value ratio of cinema, DVDs, music etc.

Of course, buying a shit game for £40 is a different situation entirely.

In my experience in Ireland I find that the typical consumer who complains that prices are too expensive is guilty of not shopping around. Yet the same person will not use the internet where games are typically between ten to twenty euro cheaper.

While people often complain about the prices, in real terms I feel they have fallen. I was recently going through some of my older consoles when I found a copy of Wrestlemania on the N64 priced at 64.99 (IRL). Allowing for the euro conversion this is much greater than the top end of the market these days.

Personally while I don't spend more than thirty euro on a game, I do find that the handheld market is overpriced. A consumer survey in the states pointed out that the average console owner possessed 6-8 games whereas the handheld owner only owned 3 or 4 on average. You can see why more developers like Crawfish have dropped out of this market. What makes things more infuriating to me is that some of the top games are ports of older titles so I rarely buy, I do like Sega's introduction of the Mega Collection and Arcade packs which IMO are a step in the right direction. Although I find the price still a little too high, theres value for your money.

Depending on the CD and the Game, shurely?

one of those pop idol albums vs. ff7 ;)

but I wouldn't but a Pop Idol album (though I also wouldn't buy FF7 for that matter).

But yes, obviously it does depend on the CD and the Game, however, on average I get more use out of a £10 CD than a £30 game.

Bloody hell - 20 or so a year - you must suck at games :)

I've pretty much given up on buying games for consoles at €60 or €50 (RRP) a go. I don't think I've bought one since Vice City and won't buy another until Halo 2 or the next GTA, whichever is first. I mostly play PC games these days, which are as low as half the price for a new game.

While people often complain about the prices, in real terms I feel they have fallen. I was recently going through some of my older consoles when I found a copy of Wrestlemania on the N64 priced at 64.99 (IRL). Allowing for the euro conversion this is much greater than the top end of the market these days.

But that was a cart, which would make it more expensive anyway. I don't believe in comparing cart prices with CD/DVD prices we have now. Although the carts were overpriced anyway. And GBA carts are overpriced still. I have about 6 games for my GBA, which is unused these days because I'm not going to pay almost as much for a SNES game as for a new Xbox game. Which I don't buy either unless it is a landmark game these days.