rllmuk
Yoshimax

Crackdown 3

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Is this anything like EDF?

Not really, other than sharing a certain amount of "fun gaming" DNA.  The focus is on improving your agent's skills (skills for kills) to take out the various baddies - and you do this by simply using them or, in the case of agility, collecting the infamous agility orbs dotted around the place.  The multiplayer destruction stuff is all new.

So is that humming orb sound there!!!! :D 

Really itching to play this but will have to wait until Sunday night. Beer and snacks will be at the ready though. And it will be played at 4K on my Xbox One X. Where its supposed to be played.

@Kevvy Metal - What a project to work on! Lots of interesting tech to play with knowing MS... :) 

And despite the whining around the 'net about CD2 I for one thoroughly enjoyed it - the additions were subtle but added suitably to the first game without completely taking away what everyone loved about it.

Hell even though I have this on GP I might even buy a physical copy of this. The Crackdown series are amongst my favourite games ever.

10 minutes ago, MattyP said:

So is that humming orb sound there!!!! :D 

Really itching to play this but will have to wait until Sunday night. Beer and snacks will be at the ready though. And it will be played at 4K on my Xbox One X. Where its supposed to be played.

@Kevvy Metal - What a project to work on! Lots of interesting tech to play with knowing MS... :) 

Of course.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the DF video. My Xbox One X and me are so pumped for this. Looks fucking great.

On 12/02/2019 at 08:13, Chooch said:

I thought the first Crackdown looked awesome - it was very stylised but it was bold and colourful.  The most impressive thing at the time was the draw distance, you could aim a rocket at anything in the distance and just follow until it hit its target.  I spent many hours just doing that.

I'm just prepping some stuff for the HDR content. It looks really nice and I think it will universally give everyone's set a good workout

Just got into the city and I’m really enjoying it so far. Controls are slick. 

Story makes no sense. “I’m not going to tell you how these people are evil, but take my word for it and help me destroy the last bit of civilisation.”

Fair enough. 

Love the grenades. 

Seems pretty good and very faithful to the original game. The neon everywhere lends itself well to 4K and HDR on the Xbox One X. 

It’s hard to know what to do to improve the Crackdown formula. Evidently the devs just paid homage to Crackdown 1. That’s cool, I just want to climb about and collect green orbs. I suppose this all just confirms what a legendary game the original was.

• Upvote 1

Right guys. If you're on PC just go into your regional settings and change the dropdown to new zealand and you'll be able to start the game. You don't even need to reboot. Just change it back tomorrow after the launch.

I've played for about 30 minutes so far and if you liked Crackdown this is more of the same except Terry Crews occasionally says "Fuck gravity"

So I have no issues at all :)

• Upvote 4

Yep loving this so far - it’s a proper new crackdown. Controls are just as tight as the original, explosions are massive and it doesn’t drop a frame. 

Well done all involved.

• Upvote 3

I can just about see why people say it feels old - it feels like Crackdown. But I think the changes are great. In Crackdown, you were just jumping about all over the place but still being pelted by bullets constantly. In this you've got so many more movement options, it feels great.

Don't get people saying it looks like a 360 game. It looks nice for the most part, excellent in places and here and there when the lighting is a bit flat it does looks slightly dated, but nothing like a 360 game.

I just took out Reza Khan. The boss fight itself was a bit bullet spongy (the core more than Reza), but it might be because I'm a bit underlevelled. I'm amazed at how quickly the game throws all the toys at you though. 

So far so good!

• Upvote 3

After a few hours play have to echo the praise here. I loved the original and this is a fantastic update on that. So relaxing just jumping around collecting orbs, firing ridiculous guns at baddies.  Finding the reviews head scratching tbh. 2 out of 5's and 5 out of 10's would suggest an unplayable mess. This is so far from that.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, S0L said:

Yeah, the reviews are ouch. And the ResetEra thread too. I had to go sign up...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/crackdown-3-review-thread.99615/post-17929723

...I’m fine if people hate it, or even don’t care, but it feels like its getting a kicking more due to its history than the results. As I say, I’ll see what the players make of it as everyone will play it different :)

That was a great post, which was pretty much ignored for continued system warz and lists!!!

Not exactly a surprise for a Bone exclusive over there. :lol: 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

2 out of 5's and 5 out of 10's would suggest an unplayable mess

What happens at the lower scores? Offs your first born and steals your lunch money?

I'm just gutted I need to work tomorrow and that it’ll be Saturday evening before I can dive back in. 

Hopefully get a bit of co-op with one of my mates at that point. 

44 minutes ago, bear said:

This quote from the Polygon review is a real bugbear of mine.

This constant pressure for bigger and bigger environments is something I hate seeing. Over the years I've come to appreciate just how little wasted space there is in GTA3. Surely the quality of the playground should matter more than the size of it? Putting 17 gajillion miles between the monkey bars and the swings doesn't make either of them more fun to use. 

Map doesn't seem small to me, and anyway, it's all about climbing up and up to get those orbs. I've played 6/7 hours or so, and it's fucking brilliant. The combat starts small and slow, but that soon ramps up to manic levels. You also get bigger and better guns, all of which are fun to use.

My stats so far:

IMG_2124.thumb.PNG.f363e777faa21c46fac7336645786921.PNG

• Upvote 3

Polygon in not knowing their arse from their elbow shocker.

Anyway, I really like how killing something is often the fastest way to heal up. Really good design decision. So far the enemy types are memorable, too. 

I might be wrong but I get the sense Sumo payed close attention to Just Cause 2/3, even down to the so bad it might be good female voice actor (Echo in this and the JC2 one she sounds like).

I’ve really enjoyed doing the quarry and have spent the rest of the evening doing all but one of the rail stations before I take out Ruby tomorrow. The last station says I have a 10% chance of survival, though, so we’ll see how that goes. 

The mass driver is an amazing gun. Annihilating bases with it is so much fun. 

• Upvote 2

Yep, from what little I've played (just done the tutorial and a little bit of the city) it's more Crackdown.  What more could you want, really.  

Can't wait to dive back in tomorrow and grab some orbs and kills for skills.

I absolutely loved the first Crackdown. Jumping around at such heights was just brilliant fun. I rinsed it to death and I'm pretty sure I got every last orb, which was massive fun leaping around and hunting them out.

Unfortunately I think it had a stigma around it from day one, especially in America were it was treated as basically a freebie game that you got with the Halo demo. It was sidelined and didn't really get a fair shake, despite selling well, again on the back of the Halo demo. I think those of us who took the time to actually play the game for a certain amount of time, some arbitrary point were it just clicked and you realised "hey this is massive fun, this is actually a brilliant game", well we fell in love with its sandbox joys. But sadly like I say a large portion just saw it as that game you got with a mega hype demo and many didn't really give it much play. I suppose the new game's prolonged gestation etc has only added to that mindset, that it's not a well regarded series. Plus perhaps misunderstanding the visuals, again if you played enough of the first game you came to realise that they fitted perfectly and probably allowed that world and game to exist. You just can't get crazy real life type fidelity if you want to create a world of that size and height that you can leap about in and throw and blow shit up with chaotic abandon. Even on today's machines I'd hazard a guess. 

But again those who didn't come to that realisation from playing and succumbing to the originals charms, well, the visual style and need there of just flies over their head and this gets called dated. I think it looks a marvel and dig its aesthetic, same thing I thought about the first, but then I think I understand the need for its presentation and what it allows.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Deeptone said:

Yep, from what little I've played (just done the tutorial and a little bit of the city) it's more Crackdown.  What more could you want, really.  

Crackdown is why I eventually bought a 360. Loved it. I'm just not feeling this though. Maybe I'm sat too far from the TV but I can't see a thing and can't tell where I'm supposed to be going and I can't tell where the bad guys are. This might be rose tinted memories - and I have barely been playing 20 minutes of actual gameplay - but I was expecting to be seeing orbs everywhere but they're not. I'll keep giving it a go but I was expecting it to be a lot more immediate than it is.

Well the madlads did it, they created a Crackdown sequel I'm actually enjoying!  It's washed the nasty taste of Crackdown 2 right out of my mouth.  The extra mobility options are great and getting your shields back by killing enemies is such a great design decision.  Sure it's not going to change the world but it's good arcadey fun and absolutely what I'm looking for right now.  If that's what 'dated' means then fucking bring it on.

• Upvote 3

Giant Bomb actually posted a review! It's been a while.

Just go play Crackdown 1 again.

I don't think I'd call Crackdown 3 an awful game, but I would call it dated. I don't know enough about this specific game's development to know what happened here, but I do know that this specific game feels like something that would have been better received had it been released several years ago. At the same time, Crackdown 3 fits reasonably well on Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass service. Paying $60 for this thing would be downright foolish. It's short and bland on the campaign end and the two multiplayer modes aren't worth your time. But if you're already a subscriber to Microsoft's service and can play this for no additional charge, it's a passable little bit of junk food that might hold your attention for an afternoon or two.

2/5

Yeah, honestly shocked at that one. I suspect he played through on easy, I couldn't do a playthrough in under a day without dropping the dofficulty and I know it inside out. Also without being mean to the original, I think CD3 plays how you remember it, not how it was :) I know as I started playing the original again before I left home!

• Upvote 4

I dunno, I played Crackdown 1 again last year when it was released with enhanced backwards compatibility. Given bloated open world game collectathons it felt fresh then, so I’m quite looking forward to a more modern update with a city I don’t know backwards.

6 hours ago, stefcha said:

Crackdown is why I eventually bought a 360. Loved it. I'm just not feeling this though. Maybe I'm sat too far from the TV but I can't see a thing and can't tell where I'm supposed to be going and I can't tell where the bad guys are. This might be rose tinted memories - and I have barely been playing 20 minutes of actual gameplay - but I was expecting to be seeing orbs everywhere but they're not. I'll keep giving it a go but I was expecting it to be a lot more immediate than it is.

Stick with it and early on do what the game says and do the power plants and take out the boss. That’s all basically tutorial. Things ramp up nicely from there. 

@S0L I totally agree on this playing like you remember Crackdown, not how it was. I went back to Crackdown when it got the 4K patch and it feels nothing like this. The controls are much clunkier, the shooting never had any punch to it and and it really does look rough and bare. It also takes aaaaages to get your powers up where as this just starts chucking everything at you to get you to a place where you can scale the majority of things that I’ve encountered really quite early on. 

I’m really pleased with this. It’s been on my release radar for so long but throughout its development I’ve either been unimpressed by what I’ve seen but determined to play it. Wasn’t expecting to like it this much at all. 

This is also at a time where I barely play games and I don’t listen to any gaming podcasts any more (from about 3-5 a week, previously). The games I do play, and that I would usually enjoy, I don’t seem to any more, so it’s really odd to be thinking this is good and looking back into the gaming world and see everyone give it such a kicking. 

• Upvote 3