Hardly a revelatory comment in here, but as many have already said - this is basically Crackdown Redux; which, given that the only decent games of the Crackdown style have been Crackdown and, er, that's it, is actually pretty welcome.

It's not exactly the most flashy looker, and I was genuinely disappointed that the car handling is exactly as unfun as I remember from the first game, but otherwise it's just an unpretentious, enjoyable open-world blast- and collect-athon with fantastic on-foot movement, and that perfect draw of allowing you to go anywhere but also immediately presenting you with things to do that will flatten you until you've worn down the enemy and/or levelled yourself up.

Also, the first lockdown I came so close to beating, before getting cocky and dying in seconds-flat when I decided to go toe-to-toe with the mechs I'd been taking out from range.

Good fun, and just what I wanted to play.

• Upvote 4

This is utterly brilliant. I meant to go to bed two hours ago, but there is always something to do. I think it looks fantastic, it’s got incredible draw distance meaning you can always see that one final orb you’re going to collect before turning it off. Also some of the lines are so funny. Love, love, love it.

• Upvote 4
On 15/02/2019 at 19:33, Revival said:

I've put about three hours into it now. If being honest the thing I find most disappointing with it is the missing 'feature' that the original premise of the game was sold upon. There was a strong concept planted very early on that you'd be able to take down a boss in a myriad of ways. The idea that you'd be able to demolish a building housing a boss [explosives, rpg whatever] was something that seemed like a nice 'next gen' evolution over the original, To see the campaign in 2019 with no environmental damage at all is more than a little disappointing. A destructable world seems like the next logical step for a game of this type. Maybe next gen? please?

Exclusives are a weird sell this gen as reviewers seem to expect what Playstation are turning out for the core mass market while traditional videogames are just not appreciated anymore.

This really shouldn't have taken five years to surface and that's something that sits firmly with MS and the early development hell of multiple devs trying to implement something they clearly couldn't... yet, If you're an old fart like me you'll find it a fun game and it'll be entertaining. If you started gaming in 1995 you're probably too cool for it and will want to keep up the fasad of what a modern game has to feature to be relevant.

Commercial reviews these days seem more pointless than ever. Play what you think you'll enjoy.

First of all I fucking love Crackdown and had massive fun with the first game with orb hunting and levelling up my agent, the narrator (skills for kills agent), killing bosses, the graphics and everything about the universe Crackdown carved out for itself.  Now, I have not been following the games development closely but what the flying fuck happened to the cloud destruction stuff they once showed it would of been a massive step up for the series.  I'm sure I'll enjoy Crackdown 3 when I get round to it but i think I'll have that nagging feeling of what it could of been.

• Upvote 2

I “lost” another 3 hours to this last night. Brilliant fun! 

The only complaint I have is the Propaganda Towers... the later ones, I’m finding it tricky to judge how far to jump, and I find I’m fighting with the camera. It’s all a bit Mario Sunshine.

Apart from that, it’s amazing!

26 minutes ago, simms said:

First of all I fucking love Crackdown and had massive fun with the first game with orb hunting and levelling up my agent, the narrator (skills for kills agent), killing bosses, the graphics and everything about the universe Crackdown carved out for itself.  Now, I have not been following the games development closely but what the flying fuck happened to the cloud destruction stuff they once showed it would of been a massive step up for the series.  I'm sure I'll enjoy Crackdown 3 when I get round to it but i think I'll have that nagging feeling of what it could of been.

Have!

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

Full destruction doesn't really work for most games.. Especially anything set in open persistent world, in a linear game, in a location you're never coming back to, sure, flatten it.. 

But how do you do it in a game where you're relying on buildings to jump between?  How do you get to orbs if you've collapsed the building? Why fight a boss if you can just stand at the base of his tower with explosives and collapse it on him? 

It's a nice concept but it would break most games.. 

2 minutes ago, MDY said:

Full destruction doesn't really work for most games.. Especially open world ones, in a linear game, somewhere you're never coming back to, sure.. 

But how do you do it in a game where you're relying on buildings to jump between?  How do you get to orbs if you've collapsed the building? Why fight a boss if you can just stand at the base of his tower with explosives and collapse it on him? 

It's a nice concept but it would break most games.. 

I knew the design argument was going to come for me.  I'm sure you can design around it.  Core buildings that cannot be collapsed but still can be destructive,  even the remains of collapsed buildings are platforms themselves, or have your strength and weapons power restricted by what you can destroy based on building material (a few basic materials types to not over complicate things)?  I know I'm asking for the moon and would probably change the fundamentals to the point it would not be Crackdown 3 but I'm sure this game will be possible one day.  What annoys me is that they show these proof of concept videos to get anticipation levels up but probably knowing they cannot deliver.  

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, simms said:

I knew the design argument was going to come for me.  I'm sure you can design around it.  Core buildings that cannot be collapsed but still can be destructive,  even the remains of collapsed buildings are platforms themselves, or have your strength and weapons power restricted by what you can destroy based on building material (a few basic materials types to not over complicate things)?  I know I'm asking for the moon and would probably change the fundamentals to the point it would not be Crackdown 3 but I'm sure this game will be possible one day.  What annoys me is that they show these proof of concept videos to get anticipation levels up but probably knowing they cannot deliver.  

I'm sure that's partly why it was in development longer than expected, not just because of whether it was technically possible, but whether you could design a functioning game around it, specifically a Crackdown game. 

I think just accept it for what it is and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm sure that's partly why it was in development longer than expected, not just because of whether it was technically possible, but whether you could design a functioning game around it, specifically a Crackdown game. 

I think just accept it for what it is and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

It would be good to hear from the horses mouth why they could not achieve their original aim.  We can only speculate on what happened. I'm sure I'll enjoy it as I'm itching to get back into the Crackdown universe. This must run sweet on my PC at full 60fps.  I'll have to play the Red Faction GW remaster for my destructive kicks.

I loved the original Crackdown, but was a little disappointed at the start of this campaign- not sure why exactly, maybe as the Agents starting agility is (necessarily) low and therefore everything is just too much of a chore to do, the cars didn't interest me, the control layout was bizarrely conflicting with modern configurations..

But I am really glad I stuck with it.

Bouncing around the city blowing everything the fuck up, it runs as smooth as butter and I laugh out loud way more often than I had expected.
Its bringing that Crackdown 1 feeling again - :wub:

• Upvote 3
44 minutes ago, S0L said:

It’s why its a bit annoying we are getting dinged in reviews for this when it was never actually planned.

Sadly when RestEra say it so, you haven't got a chance. So so when this is just more Crackdown and do to best quality, since the IP was introduced 

50 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Three hours!?!

Yes, I've played it for three hours. I do have other things to do. I've got three days off next week during half term. I will be asked, "Do you want to see The Lego Movie 2" and I will respond with a simple "I won't enjoy it so just go off and have fun at the cinema and here's £20 for some food" ;)

Resetera can lick my balls. What a shower of joyless arseholes.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, S0L said:

Campaign was never going to have the destruction in it. From conception it was planned as playable offline in single player as MS understood plenty of customers may not have access to a high speed internet connection the destruction requires.

It’s why its a bit annoying we are getting dinged in reviews for this when it was never actually planned.

Part of the reason it took so long was trying to make sure you could navigate a highly destructible world. Its not a simple problem to solve. I know as we spent a good year working on that alone :)

It also vindicated the choice not to have that level of destruction as as others have said, if you destroy a building, how would you get to orbs? At one point Wrecking Zone had orbs, we tried allowing them to fall, all people did was blow up building to get them, and then you had a flat levelled rubble strewn map with all the verticality stripped out. Which is cool for destruction and OK for a short session where everything gets reset for your next match... But not for a multi-hour Campaign :)

And thats just one problem, believe me, there were many more to overcome!

Thanks for explaining that.  I guess MS did not communicate what Crackdown was supposed to be very well and did you no favours by attaching that cloud destruction demo to Crackdown.  I never understand why companies think it's a good idea to show these elaborate demos which cannot be implemented into a game, I thought this industry would learn by now to prevent and meltdown and bring bad will to their game.  Halo 2 demo, Deep Down, Star citizen, that ps2 fps shooting game, I'm sure there's more.  As I mentioned before I'll play it and enjoy it for what it is.

• Upvote 2