IGNORED

Crackdown 3

Yoshimax

27 minutes ago, simms said:

Wait, sorry have not been following this game but why is the massive destruction only for the multiplayer portion of the game?

Think of it like this. Big tower where the end boss hangs out. You can't get there yet because you haven't collected enough agility orbs. "Fuck it, tear the tower down." Game complete after 10 mins.

Well, I don't think that would be necessary. It would obviously still be only in instances when the player is playing. State of the city is saved locally, or in the cloud, when you leave and server instance shut down until you come back. It would be no different in scale than everyone that plays the game only playing the multiplayer.

40 minutes ago, *chin* said:

Think of it like this. Big tower where the end boss hangs out. You can't get there yet because you haven't collected enough agility orbs. "Fuck it, tear the tower down." Game complete after 10 mins.

Surely they could design around that.  I.e you have to have a certain strength to tear certain buildings down or bosses are in reinforced towers which require a certain strength.  Colour code buildings or parts of the structure to indicate the amount of strength required to topple it.  I think it's a shame to tuck the massive destruction in multiplayer only.  

See Zelda.  You can go straight to the last boss but you probably won't get very far.  I love Zelda ❤️ 

45 minutes ago, *chin* said:

Well, I don't think that would be necessary. It would obviously still be only in instances when the player is playing. State of the city is saved locally, or in the cloud, when you leave and server instance shut down until you come back. It would be no different in scale than everyone that plays the game only playing the multiplayer.

Think about how much data that is; or how long it would take to calculate and reconstruct the state by replaying every action that's been taken by your player (and the opposition forces) during a load.

30 minutes ago, footle said:

Think about how much data that is; or how long it would take to calculate and reconstruct the state by replaying every action that's been taken by your player (and the opposition forces) during a load.

9 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Exactly, it was obvious that the tech demo was making promises that weren't financially viable or technically stable for MS to follow through. I guess it may work for short multiplayer matches though, but I don't think cloud computing is the future.

The cloud computing is useful for the physics calculations required, not the storage of the data. Having been present at a real-time demo, specifically to show off the multi-server usage, the number of servers required is ONLY to calculate the physics of the destruction. Once the destruction has finished, the number of servers used drops down as well. Leaving the current state of the map, which could be saved off.

It seems to me a fairly simple concept to maintain the damage across sessions. It may be a relatively large save file, but making approximations for rubble below a certain size, etc, could easily been done. You are certainly not saving all actions by all players and reconstructing from that. For one, as it is physics based, the same explosion can end up with vastly different results.

My point being, I don't think the volume of data to save the state of a destructible city will be much more than the volume of data required to store the original state of the city. I don't think the decision to not include the destructibility in the single player had anything to do with tech, but to do with game design.

Happy to be told "bullshit" by @S0L though.

Glad to see the offline option being confirmed.
I happen to have a good connection but, along with my kids eating my bandwidth streaming their "Uni lectures", I have an ongoing fear that I wouldn't be able to play GameX because my internet is down for whatever reason.

"Reason" having very little to do with it really, as its always been reliable as hell but I hate relying on third parties.

@S0L good response! 

17 hours ago, sir shrew said:

I still highly doubt it will be able to achieve anything like the e3 demo in terms of environmental destruction in MP. Why would they leave that out their main show presentation? It was a misleading PR stunt used to make out the XBO could be more powerful than PS4. #Papdown3.

Youve got a fucking raging anti anything MS boner going on I'm not sure you're aware quite how blatantly obvious it is but it is fucking tiring. You're at LeChuck levels. Re-read what you've written here, remind yourself what was promised when it was originally shown then accept you're wrong.

19 hours ago, S0L said:

the other is when you're the good guys, you probably shouldn't be destroying the whole city to take out the baddies.

Removing agency from players in sandbox games is never a good idea.

If people want to be anti-heroes and lay waste to the city, it would be better to offer the choice and then set appropriate risk/reward elements.

For example, if you get a rep for destroying city blocks then NPCs will start attacking you on sight, but if you're able to clear out a gang without doing so, then NPCs will assist you. Or something like that.

9 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

Youve got a fucking raging anti anything MS boner going on I'm not sure you're aware quite how blatantly obvious it is but it is fucking tiring. You're at LeChuck levels. Re-read what you've written here, remind yourself what was promised when it was originally shown then accept you're wrong.

...now kiss. 

21 hours ago, TehStu said:

Is always online kinda accepted, these days? Apart from ISP gaffes, I am indeed always online and thus have never worried about offline play. It hasn't come up since S0L mentioned it here.

It's easy to forget when you live in a city in a big western country but there are a lot of places where you just can't get the kind of consistent internet service modern games often expect. Given that anyone in that situation is blocked off from a huge number of modern games they're probably going to be a bit more concerned that things are actually offline.

9 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

You've got a fucking raging anti anything Sony boner going on I'm not sure you're aware quite how blatantly obvious it is but it is fucking tiring. You're at Sir Shrew levels. Re-read what you've written here, remind yourself what was promised when it was originally shown then accept you're wrong.

I'm still trying to find some direct feed footage I can share that's publically available (which is somewhat annoying given I could easily knock something up here...) but here is a guy who has never played the game running around the E3 showfloor demo.

It's complicated :)

We're doing the Campaign side of the game which includes 4 player online Co-Op. We've also done some tech with is shared with the other side of the game, such as the player character which has to deal with a highly dynamic environment, but the competitive multiplayer side of the game with the fancy destruction is primarily Reagent and Cloudgine.

I'm sure at some point there will be some level of Beta, but I don't know any details that have been revealed, so I've got to dodge saying much more I'm afraid.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151610716

Fucking hell MS, they really didn't do it justice with that shittastic conference video.  In the video above (starts about 10mins in) it looks like good ol Crackdown to me, just prettier and honestly that's all I want.  Just as long as it isn't like Crackdown 2 which whilst I had fun with it was obviously rushed.

S0L, not sure if you can answer this but who's working on the PC version of this ? As that's what I'd probably get.  Is it yourselves or outsourced to someone else ?

I was just coming to share that Twitch footage, though they both went a bit easy on the bad guys. You can really tear the place up, they both had scores around 14,000 after twenty minutes, we're closer to 48,000 in ten ;)

For Campaign we're doing all platforms, Xbox One, Scorp... Xbox One X and PC. 

There's something about that art style which I feel hasn't aged that well. Maybe the fault of the lighting but it looks a bit flat in places.

Looks like more Crackdown. So long as there's no annoying zombie monsters or whatever they were in 2 I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

1 hour ago, mr_woo said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151610716

Fucking hell MS, they really didn't do it justice with that shittastic conference video.  In the video above (starts about 10mins in) it looks like good ol Crackdown to me, just prettier and honestly that's all I want.  Just as long as it isn't like Crackdown 2 which whilst I had fun with it was obviously rushed.

S0L, not sure if you can answer this but who's working on the PC version of this ? As that's what I'd probably get.  Is it yourselves or outsourced to someone else ?

That's the ticket, I was a bit worried after what I'd seen, and I'm a huge Crackdown fan, but that's sold me 100%

Unfortunately you've made the wait until launch painful.