rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Tony

Halo Wars 2

Holy crap, suprise announcement at GamesCom. Halo Wars 2 coming Christmas Holiday 2016.

It's made by Creative Assembly of Total War fame, so hopefully should be good.

Edited by gospvg
edit thread title to remove beta details

Really liked the first one (while appreciating it's somewhat shallow nature)

Glad it's coming to PC too though

I loved the first. I remember my last week at GamesCentre, we decided to hold a halo tournament for customers. I think we had about 40 entrants.

The final ended up with a 1v1 battle on Halo Wars. It was a 2 hour epic back and forth. I really hope it goes into BC on the Xbone this year.

So I had a go on the beta in between conferences and I've got to say, while it was enjoyable, I didn't seem to grasp what was going on quite well. I didn't feel like I contributed very much to the two wins I had, but felt the one loss I had may have been because I was faffing trying to get my base all strong and what-not and not exploring, yet somehow faced defeat when not a single one of my buildings had been destroyed and I/we still had a point under control.

Ho hum, will play some more when it's not 2am.

I've got this downloaded but every time I got to start it I get distracted by Forza Horizon 2 or Halo 5.

Anyone else tried it yet?

On 8/5/2015 at 9:33 AM, King A said:

I loved the first. I remember my last week at GamesCentre, we decided to hold a halo tournament for customers. I think we had about 40 entrants.

The final ended up with a 1v1 battle on Halo Wars. It was a 2 hour epic back and forth. I really hope it goes into BC on the Xbone this year.

Errr, it's already on the BC list isn't it?

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Backward_Compatibility_Game_List

EDIT: Just realised your post is almost a year old, doh!

I remember really enjoying this so I've downloaded the beta to give it a whirl. Or should I say I've set the beta to download. For some reason downloads on my Xbone are interminably slow despite my fibre connection. Any tips on how to speed things up?

2 hours ago, rsbrowndog said:

EDIT: Just realised your post is almost a year old, doh!

Yep. Installed as soon as it went BC.

I can't get the HW2 beta to work. It either freezes on the main screen, gives me a black screen, freezes on the tutorial video, locks up on the main menu, or puts me into an empty game with a blue bar on the screen and freezes.

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've got this downloaded but every time I got to start it I get distracted by Forza Horizon 2 or Halo 5.

Anyone else tried it yet?

Can't get it to work.

The remaster of the original Halo Wars game will be released on December 20th for Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition preorders according to the store listing. The game supports Xbox Play Anywhere

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...n/c1lmknh1s8rv

Pre-order the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition and receive Halo Wars: Definitive Edition. The codes for Halo Wars: Definitive Edition will be delivered to your Xbox message center 7 - 10 days from pre-order, beginning December 20, 2016.

• Upvote 1

The Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta will officially begin on Friday, Jan. 20 and is slated to run through Jan. 30, 2017. The Blitz Beta will take place on the map “Proving Grounds,” and will offer 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 gameplay via matchmaking on both Windows 10 PC and Xbox One. One thing we’re particularly excited about is the fact that all of the Faction Leaders and Blitz cards that will be available in the full game at launch on Feb. 17 will be included and available to play and experiment with during the beta, offering wide breadth of strategic and gameplay options. You’ll also find a series of daily and weekly challenges to participate in as we work to stress test those systems.

While it’s important to note that none of the cards or progress you earn within the Blitz Beta will carry over to the retail game (though the experience and strategies you develop certainly will!), we do have two special rewards that will apply to the full game. As a special incentive and thank you, everyone who participates in the Blitz Beta will be awarded up to two free in-game Blitz card packs in the final retail version when it ships in February. You’ll earn one card pack just for logging into the Blitz Beta and another one after you’ve completed your first match. So jump in and get a leg up on the competition before launch in February, help us test aspects of the game AND earn yourself two bonus card packs for Halo Wars 2 come launch!

http://news.xbox.com/2017/01/11/halo-wars-2-blitz-beta/#E6hMA9XbZP72PqcA.99

• Upvote 1

Doesn't interest me that much but I'll try it out. I wasn't impressed by it last year either but I'm tempted by a new Halo Wars campaign. 

Play Halo Wars on twitter:

What is #TwitterHaloWars?

#TwitterHaloWars is a training module for the upcoming release of Halo Wars 2 and its new Blitz Mode. Players utilize Twitter’s DM platform to launch battle cards against their friends (or the computer) in an escalating three-round war of attacks and counters.

How do I play?
There are two ways to play: (1) Player vs. Enemy and (2) Player vs. Player.

In Player vs. Enemy, players train for war in a three round battle against the computer. They will get 3 units to deploy by tapping or clicking the designated buttons, 60 seconds per round.

In Player vs. Player, players have the option to challenge a friend to battle. Once both opponents have opted-in to the game, they will be randomly assigned to serve as the leader of the UNSC, Captain James Cutter, or the leader of The Banished, Atriox. Each player will get 3 units to deploy by tapping or clicking the designated buttons, 60 seconds per round.

Can I choose to be Captain James Cutter or Atriox?
For PvE battles, players will always serve as Captain James Cutter. Their opponent will always be a computer simulation of Atriox.

For PvP battles, players will be randomly assigned a leader.

How do I initiate a PvE Challenge?
You can play the computer by tapping or clicking the pinned tweet at the top of Isabel’s page: https://twitter.com/ISA1307_2

Or you can post a tweet with @ISA1307_2 + #TwitterHaloWars to initiate training.

How do I invite a friend to play against me in a PvP Challenge?
You can invite a friend to battle by tweeting them with #TwitterHaloWars + your friend’s handle + @ISA1307_2.

Who is @ISA1307_2?
@ISA1307_2 is the Twitter handle and AI serial number for the UNSC logistical AI Isabel. She’s also the moderator of the game.

How do I leave the game? Or opt-out entirely?
You can leave #TwitterHaloWars at any time by tapping to #LeaveGame in the #SOS section.

If you wish to no longer participate in the entire program, select the #OptOut button in the #SOS section.

Can I be in more than one battle at a time?
You can only battle one opponent at a time.

Do I earn anything for winning?
Yes, you will be rewarded for winning with an exclusive skin code. This code can only be won once per player.

How do I redeem my code?
For further information how to redeem your code, please visit: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/prepaid-codes/redeem-prepaid-codes

When does the Beta launch?
The Beta launches on January 20th, 2017.

For more information, visit: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/halo-wars-2

New trailer up -

Its been a while since I've seen good value in an Ultimate Edition. game unlocks on the 17h, includes Halo Wars 1 remastered and the season pass for campaign and multiplayer DLC

• Upvote 2

Outstanding trailer and as a reader of the EU novels this has a real Ghosts of Onyx feel to it in terms of story. I loved the original Halo Wars so a remastered version of that along with the new one is a great bonus. Definitely going for the Ultimate Edition as there are so few games of this type on consoles that I know I will get a ridiculous amount of enjoyment and time out of it.

"Run, little Demon!" :omg:

• Upvote 1

Agreed, I thought it was excellent. Blur Studio deliver again. 

I completed my Legendary play through of the remaster last night and really enjoyed it. That penultimate cutscene with Forge and the three Spartans vs the Elites is one of my favourites in all of Halo. 

• Upvote 1

So the people on this ship from the first Halo Wars wake up from cryo-sleep, right near the ark, not knowing the war between the UNSC and the Covenant is over. They meet new baddies that have building their forces in secret, and have to fight them. This all happens just after the events of Halo 5.

This is perfect right? Please just bin the Halo 5 rubbish and go with Atriox as the new big bad for Master Chief to to and take down in the next game. A guy so bad, he splintered off from the defeated covenant because they were a bunch of sissies.

Look at how much better having him as a villain is compared to Locke/Cortana/Robot Warden something, something, blurgh from Halo 5. Just in this trailer alone.

• Upvote 2

343i have already said that events Halo Wars 2 will directly affect Halo 6. Would be cool to see him in Halo 6.

Who'd have thought we'd be excited about Brutes being back in Halo;)

It will be difficult but I want to try and get a replay of the remaster done before starting on 2. Chances of that happening, very slim!

That scene you mention is very reminiscent of the end of Ghosts of Onyx and both are stand out moments in Halo lore. Really cant wait for this!

On 1/30/2017 at 14:02, Radish said:

Can preorder the digital play-anywhere copy for £31 from press-start (who also run instant-gaming, which is a legit website). I think I'm in at that price. 

that seems well dodgy - has anyone actually done this? 

Although I quite like the look of this, I'm not at all interested in multiplayer so will wait for the inevitable sale when it's 50% off. I think I'll be having big 2 or 3 times a year splurges, i'm still playing through the stuff i bought in the last sale  

I'm still vaguely interested but my excitement has dropped over the last few days as more information has been revealed. Blitz had a lot of potential but it's launching with just the Proving Grounds map that was in the beta and I wasn't particularly excited by it even then. I can't imagine playing much of that mode when it's based entirely on that one map. I know a lot of games work well with one map (MOBAs especially) but they are so much more detailed and well designed than Proving Grounds was. 

I was also pretty excited in the campaign but there's chatter on the Reddit about it being very short and I'm not convinced I'd want to pay full digital price for a short campaign, a Blitz mode with one map and no ranked play at launch for the other modes.