IGNORED

People Just Do Nothing - BBC3 mockumentary

Yobo Ahoy

Anyone watching this? It's a kind of mockumentary about a bunch of wasters who run a pirate radio station from a council flat in Brentford ... The main guy has the classic David Brent/ Ricky from Trailer Park Boys total lack of self awareness, in fact I would say the whole thing is basically an English version of TPB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzKYc2-HpyI

It's on its second series now - unfortunately series 1 is not on iplayer anymore, but I would recommend tracking it down via other means though. Best UK comedy in ages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062r9t5/episodes/guide

Soooo yeah. Recommended!

I finally decided to watch this when I noticed the 2nd series got released, not bad, they recently put up the first series on iPlayer too so I backfilled and watched those too. It's one of those slow growers, rather like that Canadian series. It was mildly curious to note the lack of episodes it has though, most serialised stuff on the BBC gets 6 episodes but this only started with 4 and I assume is growing in popularity as they've got 5 for the new series.

The main guy, Grindah is a complete muppet though. The thing with his 'daughter' is odd, Chabuds is cool.

Seems it started life on YouTube, I found this interview from before they got the BBC deal which has a link to the original YouTube stuff, it even uses his original MC name, which gets referenced in one of the episodes:

http://permanentplastichelmet.com/2012/07/03/exclusive-pph-interview-beats-and-sniper-of-people-just-do-nothing/

I watched the first couple of episodes of the first series, but I couldn't stick with it because the main guy was doing such a blatant ripoff of David Brent that it was just distracting. I mean, he lifted entire mannerisms. Assuming that he didn't just outright copy Gervais on purpose, he must have watched his Office DVDs over and over and over again for inspiration and just ended up doing exactly the same thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Binged the whole 3 seasons of this over the last week, love it. Chabuddy is instantly one of my fave TV characters ever.

Dont think series 3 is quite as good though. I really wish they would give Grindah some kind of redeemable personality trait and just have him do something decent for a change, the constant selfishness and negativity is grating.

It feels like they've changed the setup of the show a bit in series 3, so that Grindah and Beats aren't the focus any more; it's more like an ensemble piece, where Steves and Chabuddy G have completely separate storylines. I would hazard a guess that they're running out of ideas for storylines focused on the radio station, so they're having to branch out into Beats going to NCT class, or Steves getting his hair cut, or similar. It's still great though - I love the little details, like Grindah pouring himself a pint of fresh orange juice without asking at Beats' house, just as a tiny show of enormous disrespect.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure how the new series would work given the unbelievably bleak ending of series 3 - I guess they don't want to leave Grindah homeless and on hard drugs, but it was still a pretty bold, final ending to the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first ep of Season 4, looking forward to the rest... maybe I should wait till the whole series is out but i think thatd be too hard.

I think the new episodes a bit.... weaker than the rest, but i pretty much binged Seasons 1-2, and then 3 when they came out (and also i was very baked when i watched those) so that might have skewed my opinion of them. Seasons 1-3 are some of the funniest shit ive seen on TV next to the office US/UK and Extras (imo probably the funniest tv comedy series ive seen)

Seeing Chabuddy just have 'lost' everything and sleeping in his van, and grindah on this new low .... makes me kinda sad. I hope they don't ramp up the mean-ness of it all cause season 1-3 definately had heart, and i wouldnt want the show to become super mean spirited or just shit all over the main characters. I know S1-3 did this a bit but there was always some up and up, or the bizzare-ness of it all managed to cancel it out.

Anyway, maybe that seems too negative, was still pretty good. Just want more chabuddy g and steves, and hope they can keep it light hearted.

I guess cause they still have Miche in, they are planning on getting her and grindah back together. I dont really like miche as a person, i would find her annoying to be her friend, but its funny to watch her... something about her is so ... idk, off - she looks spaced out all the time. Im sure thats her character though, ditzy to the extreme.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me and my housemate have just binged all of this over the last week and it's bloody bastard amazing. All the characters are so well observed - Chabadi in particular is such a perfect example of these Asian wide-boys. That bit in the last series where he's all "Mark, if that is your real name. Yeah, I'm on to you, Malik" had me creasing up. As a west Londoner myself it's also nice to have an antidote to the usual "posh/leafy/posh + leafy west London" line you see in the papers whenever they write about these ends. Poor Steves as well!

Some funny stuff on Youtube: