RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition - iOS, Switch & PC

Well the guys working on OpenRCT2 are doing a mobile version, also Cris Sawyer confirmed after the success of the tablet version of Transport Tycoon, they are looking at doing RCT2.

• Mr Tony changed the title to RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 - iOS: Coming to Switch & PC

Wow wasn't expecting this today!

RCT3 is coming back! It's getting released on Nintendo Switch and getting a re-release on PC with Widescreen & 64 Bit support. 

Ooh didn't expect a PC reappearance.

I love Planet Coaster but damn is it not over complicated a lot of the time.  I understand Parkitect is similar.

I say all this, what's the last game in that genre I played?

2020-09-10_17_55_12.jpg

On 10/09/2020 at 17:54, Dudley said:

Ooh didn't expect a PC reappearance.

I love Planet Coaster but damn is it not over complicated a lot of the time.  I understand Parkitect is similar.

I say all this, what's the last game in that genre I played?

Well, good news. On 24th RCT 3 Complete will be free for 24 Hrs on the epic store.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/rollercoaster-tycoon-3-complete-edition/home

Just now, Quest said:

It's free for a week, not just one day.

I was under the impression that it's just free for 24 hours, but you can keep it for ever. If it's all week then even better!

• 2 weeks later...

And it's out!

I picked it up on the Switch yesterday for £20.

I'm happy enough with it, but honestly, I think £20 is pushing it. It's RCT3 I've always loved, but there's some issues.

Scenario Editor removed.

Controls fucking suck.

No touch screen support in hand held.

Some annoying wee bugs on building paths.

Controls really fucking suck.

Did I say the controls fucking suck?

That's the main issue with this. I don't know how they got the controls so wrong, everything is a combination of holding L or R while going through radial menus. But depending where you are, Y is accept or A is accept. B is sometimes back but it's also sometimes Delete. A is sometimes select, other times X is select. Sometimes X is enter, but others it's back.

I'm not exaggerating unfortunately, I love the game, but everything takes so much longer due to the awful controls.

Unfortunately when ever anyone asks the Devs on twitter anything regarding the game, the Devs answer is nearly always "We don't have any plans to share regarding *insert question here*. Even when someone raises a bug or asks about a patch, the answer is we have nothing to say.

It's a shame.

Own this on pc already first through the original disc release and then on gog. Not too annoyed that it was going free. Just bought the switch version.

RCT1+2 I've played a lot they are two of my favourite games of all time and I still think they are the best of their genre. Despite owning it multiple times I've never got that far with RCT3 until now.

This is pretty great. It has everything of the first two games but full 3D, making it way more expansive and immersive. It doesn't lose that much in the transition to 3D and stacks up well against current games in its genre.

The switch conversation is impressive. The whole game and all the expansions are here with no features being cut back. It runs great. Looks great on the small screen. 

Frontier made an equally exact RCT1 port on the first Xbox which controlled great. This is fine when you get used to it and it will only take a level or two for it to become second nature.. however some of the choices they made with the button mapping go against their own earlier port and how every other game like this works on console. 

Using the sticks for the radial menus is great but it some reason you have to hold another button down too. Then to go back instead of pressing b (which is what you use elsewhere in the game). You have to hold the button down, use the stick to make the middle select and then press b. 

There are a few other button choices that make it more fiddly than it needed to be. A is select/confirm, but it switches to Y when you are building or selecing a building. They use both sticks and the triggers just for camera control which means they can't be used for other things. Two point hospital, tropico etc.. use the sticks to better effect and utilise the L and R for tabbing or bringing up menus, which this doesn't. None of it is bad enough to spoil the experience.

Feels genuinely amazing playing this on a handheld laying on the sofa.

14 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

And it's out!

I picked it up on the Switch yesterday for £20.

I'm happy enough with it, but honestly, I think £20 is pushing it. It's RCT3 I've always loved, but there's some issues.

Scenario Editor removed.

Controls fucking suck.

No touch screen support in hand held.

Some annoying wee bugs on building paths.

Controls really fucking suck.

Did I say the controls fucking suck?

That's the main issue with this. I don't know how they got the controls so wrong, everything is a combination of holding L or R while going through radial menus. But depending where you are, Y is accept or A is accept. B is sometimes back but it's also sometimes Delete. A is sometimes select, other times X is select. Sometimes X is enter, but others it's back.

I'm not exaggerating unfortunately, I love the game, but everything takes so much longer due to the awful controls.

Unfortunately when ever anyone asks the Devs on twitter anything regarding the game, the Devs answer is nearly always "We don't have any plans to share regarding *insert question here*. Even when someone raises a bug or asks about a patch, the answer is we have nothing to say.

It's a shame.

Ha. You posted as I was writing my post. It is a tad annoying they got the hard bit right (as in getting the game ported over and running smooth) and then messed it up on the controls.

Making them reconfigurable won't even help because of them splitting what one button could do over multiple buttons. Hopefully it gets an update that has alternative control setups. The switch has enough buttons to make this work.

This type of game can have a lot of waiting around. To research, to build cash etc.. not a problem in RCT3 switch because you'll still be wrestling the controls. 

Still like it though and find it less annoying than trying to play the first games on my phone with just the touchscreen.

I think RCT Classic (1/2) on the phone is brilliant. I still play that daily.

RCT 3 on iOS handles great as well. It has a couple bugs but it's good. (I don't know if it's been changed with the recent release of Complete Ed)

I just find build anything other than the default rides on the switch version is currently far too frustrating to be fun. I'm hoping they bring out a patch with some QOL updates, but the fact that the dev is actively pointing out over and over that they have nothing to announce about anything to do with the game (other than where to buy it), it doesn't give me a good feeling.