Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

This is fantastic but I think the wave of first-person horror games over the past few years must've rendered me totally incapable of shitting myself when I can see my character on the screen. After things like Alien Isolation, PT and Resi 7 this feels like a fast-paced action romp, which is obviously no bad thing at all. Maybe I should test this by playing Project Zero again since I had to go through that entirely in daylight after the first few hours way back when.

It runs really well on both the Pro and on my GTX 1060 (at 1080p), only slight frame drops in the reception room and minor boosts to image quality (mostly anti-aliasing) in favour of the latter. Think I'll get it on PS4 though as it just feels right on a Sony system.

I don't have anything HDR capable but found it pretty washed out even without it. I used the default settings on PS4 and manually adjusted them on PC but it didn't look anywhere near dark enough on either so I'm hoping being a bit more extreme might sort it out. The default brightness tends to be perfect in most games but I had to turn it way down in Monster Hunter too.

13 hours ago, DC said:

Push through it.

The early bits nearly stopped me playing. Fuck knows how someone got through it in VR.

Because it's the best survival horror experience created. It was the moment after Mario 64 that games genuinely changed again. I'm not saying it's better than RE4 as a game, but the experience is incredible. If you have VR, it's the difference between an 8 and an old 'revolutionary' EDGE 10.

The artists for this game must’ve had to study some pretty grotesque photos of mutilated bodies?! 

When you pull that guy out from under the metal shutter and his bottom half is missing... there’s a 3D model I wouldn’t want to work on!

15 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

The artists for this game must’ve had to study some pretty grotesque photos of mutilated bodies?! 

When you pull that guy out from under the metal shutter and his bottom half is missing... there’s a 3D model I wouldn’t want to work on!

I had the exact same thought at that point.  No thanks.

13 hours ago, womblingfree said:

This was mostly great but a couple of niggling things: when you press X on something instead of a description the item menu comes up, so I repeatedly clicked on the handgun for no reason whatsoever

That was doing my head in. I kept reading the first line of the description of the handgun over and over. Bah! 

I enjoyed this way more than I expected to since the only Resident Evil I have enjoyed in the past was 4. Looks great and I didn't come across any jump scares (at least up to where I got to) which always feel cheap . I wasn't sure if the press X on a window and the item menu comes up thing was me not understanding some RE convention. Not quite good enough for me to pre-order but has sparked a renewed interest in RE.

4 minutes ago, dave7g said:

I bought Resi 4 since I'd never played it and it gets so much praise. The controls are fucking horrendous, why do people think this is fine?

Everyone else remembers playing it in 2002 or whenever. I will say you have to just work with the controls, it's part of the tension. I can't be bothered to play it now but I completed it repeatedly when it came out. 

34 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Everyone else remembers playing it in 2002 or whenever. I will say you have to just work with the controls, it's part of the tension. I can't be bothered to play it now but I completed it repeatedly when it came out. 

Yes.  I first played on the N64 (1999?).  Apparently that version is one of the best because of extra bells and whistles, not that I knew or cared at the time.  Being new to the whole zombies in video games thing, it took me several attempts just to reach the police station  :facepalm:.  

5 hours ago, DC said:

You can nail planks of wood to those windows to stop zombies breaking in.

Apparently they still break in, but the planks do delay them a fair bit. 

As to the demo itself, I enjoyed it. The one worry I did have is that it’s so easy to pull off headshots now, but they seem to have increased zombie toughness to make up for that/done a bit of a crimson-head REmake thing. More than one ‘killed’ zombie got back up when I returned to an area, and it took a few more headshots to put them down. I guess that would explain why the game seemed so generous with handgun ammo, and I can see it necessitating just running past some of them to save bullets in higher difficulties. 

Nothing surprising, no real ‘scares’, but nicely polished and a good time. Look forward to the game. 

55 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Apparently they still break in, but the planks do delay them a fair bit. 

As to the demo itself, I enjoyed it. The one worry I did have is that it’s so easy to pull off headshots now, but they seem to have increased zombie toughness to make up for that/done a bit of a crimson-head REmake thing. More than one ‘killed’ zombie got back up when I returned to an area, and it took a few more headshots to put them down. I guess that would explain why the game seemed so generous with handgun ammo, and I can see it necessitating just running past some of them to save bullets in higher difficulties. 

Nothing surprising, no real ‘scares’, but nicely polished and a good time. Look forward to the game. 

The knife is your best ammo saving bet for putting them down permanently after they first fall.  I wasted a bit of ammo on trying to shoot off locks etc and ended up ammo less cowering in the mens locker room waiting for the timer to expire.  

Enjoyed the demo enough to be disappointed when the timer ran out but wasn't blown away or anything. Thoughts:

- The image quality looked so so soft on the One X. Will definitely be playing in 4K/30 mode in the full game. 

- Graphically it was quite mixed. Some bits looked good, others looked really basic, like the room with the weapons locker. 

- Black levels seemed fucked. I had HDR turned off after hearing impressions but ended up bumping the gamma to high on my set, otherwise the blacks were mostly grey. 

- Honestly didn't find it scary at all, and I say that as someone who still found RE:Make quite scary a couple of years ago and found the early parts of RE7 quite terrifying. Probably a combination of the viewpoint, easier combat mechanics but also...

- Disclaimer: I haven't played RE2 before. Setting most of the game in a police station just seems a bit...uninspiring? Rooms full of filing cabinets, desks and paper trays all struck me as rather boring compared to huge evocative mansions with creepy paintings and statues and elaborate backdrops. This mostly just looked like a boring old police station.