Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

Yup, that’s exactly what it is, an arranged version of A. I wouldn’t say it’s harder - if anything it’s easier because you know the layout of the station and how to deal with enemies. Sure, Mr X appears much earlier, but you already know how to cheese him. 

Am I satisfied with that? Absolutely. Did the original game from 21 years ago do something more ambitious with the format? Absolutely. 

To paraphrase Boris Johnstone, I’d have preferred RE2 remake to be a have brains, eat brains deal for all zombie lovers, but what we got was an exceptionally fun effort never the less. 

For a game that can be legit speed run in about 2 hours, I must have played this well over 40, half of that in the bonus modes. It's terrific. Yes I would have liked to have seen more stuff in B mode akin to the original game but when you really look at what's missing, there's nothing critical.

The first time round though (Leon A, Claire B in my case) the sewers/orphanage/ada/sherry & alternate boss sections were long and different enough for me to be more than content.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Speaking of Mr X, I've just some back to this after last playing it in February to Mr X tossing a crashed helicopter out of the way.

I've got a key that lets me progress, but between him and some Lickers it's a serious struggle!

Is it best to shoot Mr X in the head a bit to down him then move on until the next time he stalks me? Loving this game so far, but wish I'd stuck with it 6 months ago!!

Don't waste ammo on him at all. Just avoid him, learn which areas he'll not follow you to, etc. If you're just playing on Standard, you should be able to keep ahead of him well enough and lose him for a while, as long as you're quiet.

As far as meta planning goes, I'd recommend using all your window boards on the West Wing corridor (especially as Leon) as that's the one area with the potential to be a complete nightmare of zombies and lickers so you just want to creep around quietly and not have to worry about fighting through all that with Stompy in tow.

The original Resi 2 didn't have much difference between the campaigns. Probably less than this.

There are a lot of small changes in particular that add so much. Like the way the lickers are introduced, or the way the dogs are introduced. And it moves just enough round from the original to keep you uncertain without losing the structure altogether.

It all shows great understanding of the source material and attention to detail. It knows what to keep, what to develop or change and what to ditch. As a remake, it's near perfect.

It's surprising how much you forget about the original. You don't really notice but the remake has lots of extra items in places to give you something to collect when you backtrack. When you go back to the original it really hits you how much tedious walking there is, sometimes from one extreme end of the map to the other with a 10 second wait every time you open a door, with nothing to do on the way.  It's boring design, but from an era when we didn't see it.  But those rose tinted memories mean a lot of the improvements in the remake go unnoticed because your brain remembers those items being there all along.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

with a 10 second wait every time you open a door

It’s funny how small the police station feels by comparison - you can whip around it from end to end so quickly without those damn loading times

Yeah, that's how I remember it (edit: before you stealth edited the whole post). As I say, it's easy to overlook a lot of the small things in the remake, or the way things have been remixed. Like the routes at the beginning of the game, for example, where one is worked into the story in a much more interesting way later.

14 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The orphanage detour is one of the worst additions to the remake. And at the cost of moving / reworking the iconic opening route. Chief Iron’s story would’ve been served perfectly had it remained faithful to the original on site at the police station / in one of the out-buildings (which you don’t get to access in the remake).

So when they change things around to make the two campaigns more different than they were originally, they should've kept it the same?

Can't win with some people.

It's also worth noting that they've added extra characters' stories in that can be played as standalone episodes. It's a smart move, in that it stops the main game getting too bloated while adding to the overal content and variety.

The point is you've cherry picked examples where the original had differences between campaigns and the remake doesn't, ignoring all the cases where the opposite is true. And then when a bigger difference is pointed out, you say it should've been left alone.

Overall, the variation is about the same, and there's additional content outside the main stories which adds further variety.

Anyway, what I would really disagree with is any argument that the game needed longer in development or misunderstood the original. They didn't make it the way you wanted, but they made exactly what I wanted, and I can really appreciate the skill and effort involved.

The Orphanage is a perfectly fine and fitting addition, and certainly a marked improvement on the original's Sherry section. The only criticisms I actually agree with is that once you've done one A > B you've seen the whole thing, there's nothing new to experience on the reverse run. I'd understand more why they did it (supposedly to create a definitive set of canon events and avoiding the confusion over RE's Jill's or Chris' story thing) if they didn't then have both characters fight William v1/2/3, or have William merk Mr X in Clare's run.

Despite that though, I had a blast, it was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in ages so I'm not hung up on it.

No amount of polish could make the Sheri and Ada scenes relevant today. They were awful then and didnt work, and still awful today and dont work

Other than that, I had two senses of disappointment with the game; one being that the remake reminded me how much I loathed the sewers part of RE2. Hours and hours of grey, brown, and green. It was very much a game of two halves for me, with the police station maybe being the best locale of any of the games. But those sewers, man .. fuck those sewers. I played the remake once and never wanted to return.

The other thing is how much promise you are welcomed with on the title screen, with the entire Racoon City burning below. That looked cool, and I thought they had added some stuff around the gas or police stations. They had not, and it turned out to be just a great title screen.

I really liked the way that the game took me about 7 hours to complete the first time, and yet I can now do it in about an hour and 20 mins. It's good fun to try and play through in one sitting, and the layout of the game makes it just the right length for a run through.

• 2 months later...

I'm only an hour into this but so far it's been excellent. It looks gorgeous (in a horribly apocalyptic sort of way), the lighting especially, and had been enjoyably tense so far. Those zombies certainly take some killing! I must admit, however, after re-playing Resi 4 recently I'm missing Leon's suplex head crusher finishing move. Maybe he only learnt that once he got older. Or maybe it's only effective on monks.

I've done Leon A and just finished Claire B, I think the Police Station has some absolutely superb level design and usage...the later on stuff isn't quite as good but still enjoyable.

Worth doing Claire A / Leon B or the 4th Survivor or should I move on?

You’re not missing out on much/anything if you don’t. I did because I enjoyed playing the game so damn much. 4th survivor is just piss-takingly hard though, and my Claire A/Leon B run through was on the top difficulty. 

8 hours ago, Popo said:

You’re not missing out on much/anything if you don’t. I did because I enjoyed playing the game so damn much. 4th survivor is just piss-takingly hard though, and my Claire A/Leon B run through was on the top difficulty. 

I was hoping to get some decent weapon unlockables after my first full run....but turns out the good unlockables are only available if you're absolutely Aces at clearing the game in a very short time :)

I've just got to the bit

Spoiler

where Ada kills (although, probably doesn't kill actually) the Tyrant.

This is great! Surprisingly challenging, too, a lot moreso than RE7. I've only died a couple of times but there's been plenty of occasions where I've been low on ammo and have had to just make a frenzied dash for it, which is always horribly tense, but in a good way. I really like the level design as well, and how before long you're able to figure out the layout of the station without looking.

The original game came out when I was eight years old and I can't actually remember if I ever played it, so beyond the opening everything's new to me. Is there a bit later on where you have to 

Spoiler

very sloooooowly descend an elevator with a big bulldozer on it while fending off some mutant bloke (William something)?  Or am I thinking of a different game entirely? Maybe I just dreamt it.

I'd really love to see Dino Crisis get the same treatment. Those velociraptors chasing you would be terrifying.

@Jamie John yes you remember correctly, and might even get another reminder of it in this. ;)

Good call on Dino Crisis. The idea of it always appealed more than the execution for me, so a modern update in this ending would be fabulous. 

Please ignore the spoiler tags below, which I accidentally added and now can’t delete. :wacko:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I finished my Leon playthrough with about 8 hours or so on the clock. It was a blast, but I'm not sure that I want to play through it all again. Is the Claire part B playthrough different enough to warrant the time?

I’d say it is. There is some different stuff in there, although it’s not as different or as tied to the first play through as in the original game.