IGNORED

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

10 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I've done both characters at normal difficulty when the game launched and played through both again on survival difficulty over the holiday. I also did all the extra scenarios. The cop in a shop one was mentally tense. I nearly had an aneurysm.

After playing on survival I would probably change it to my game of the year if it wasn't already too late. It's the perfect remake and an absolute joy to play.

Is Survival a difficulty mode that's unlocked or a scenario?

5 hours ago, merrychan said:

Not really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway, regarding Claire's weapons

Hide contents

I think I'm right that there's no shotgun available in their playthrough, it's replaced by the grenade launcher. I really missed the shotgun in those runs because the RE2 shotgun is an absolute beast

Yes. Each character has unique weapons.

On 12/01/2020 at 16:10, jimmbob said:

It’s a proper pant shitter. 

It reminds me of games like Condemned, Silent Hill etc. In so far as while you want to play it, you also want to get through each room without meeting a single thing. 

It’s brilliant. Intense is probably the best way to describe it as @Jamie John said. 

Damn. Sounds like an entire new game compared to the PSOne original. That one was more comedy horror with some jump scares. Awesome game nonetheless.

I liked the remake but I didn't love it in the same way I loved the original.

I thought introducing Mr X in the first run messes up the pacing. He was only in the second run in the original and spiced things up by keeping you on your toes as you revisited areas from the first run. In the remake he's a bit over used, so by the second run, he's become an annoying bell-end.

On the first and second runs, it's already been said how the intertwining nature of the stories was lost and I agree this was a mistake. It makes the second run really repetitive and the story doesn't evolve properly.

Some of the cool hidden stuff disappeared, like doing a 'no gun' run to the underground tunnel by the police station where you have to kill Barry with a knife (although I guess it wasn't him after all) to get a key which gets you a parts for a super powered magnum.

Enemy variety was really dialled down and they dropped the hunters and spiders that were in the original (even though I hate spiders and dread to think what they would look like in the new engine). Lickers were re-used all over the place. I thought the plant enemies were a bit shit as well really. 

It's a great game, but if anything it gave me more of an appreciation (no doubt rose tinted) for the original RE2. 

I remember the IGN guy getting a lot of flak for... did he run through each character's A run instead of A then B?... but it's actually kind of amazing how similar each run actually is in this. It doesn't have the evolution from one to the next that the original had, stuff like taking ammo that wouldn't be there in the next run, or solving a puzzle that'd windup already solved.

I did Leon A / Claire B first time through and yep it was nice to play the scneario from another perspective but it did feel quite repetitive.

Also completely agree on the lack of secret / unlockable stuff...I didn't play it back in the day but folk I knew absolutely rinsed the game to get unlocks etc.

Maybe I'm over whinging since all the unlockables that are there are tied to completing the game under a certain time :D

• 2 weeks later...

Was enjoying this, doing a Claire run first, and was thinking it really wasn't that tough a game, that I was fine with managing inventory etc. but bloody hell does it step up the pace and panic once a certain hatted character appears. Places I thought were safe are not now and I am running round like an idiot and struggling to have all the items I need on me. Just got sent back to an earlier save as I got jumped when I wasn't expecting but really enjoying it. I think I need to plan my routes from here on a bit more carefully.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2020 at 12:19, BongoInferno said:

Enemy variety was really dialled down and they dropped the hunters and spiders that were in the original (even though I hate spiders and dread to think what they would look like in the new engine). Lickers were re-used all over the place. I thought the plant enemies were a bit shit as well really. 

It's a great game, but if anything it gave me more of an appreciation (no doubt rose tinted) for the original RE2. 

Didn't think the original had any hunters, just lickers. Based on my vague 20+ year old memories, the hunters came back in RE3.

I wish they'd forgotten about the whole intertwining idea and just lengthened the full story for the remake. Absolutely loved all of the police station but thought the final third of the game was over in a flash and nowhere near as impressive.

6 hours ago, JoeK said:

I wish they'd forgotten about the whole intertwining idea and just lengthened the full story for the remake. Absolutely loved all of the police station but thought the final third of the game was over in a flash and nowhere near as impressive.

Agreed, I think the police station is superbly designed

On 24/03/2020 at 14:05, JoeK said:

Yeah, agreed. Really loved the police station but

Spoiler

the lab environments and puzzles felt quite uninspired.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely loving this. Started it in earnest at the weekend and it’s just such a pleasure to be back in an RE game which plays at the pace of the originals, but with modern bells and whistles.

It also benefits from being (unusually) the classic RE game I spent the least time with. I never had a PS,  so my only experience of the game for years was the Edge issue, and that episode of Spaced. I didn’t play it until after CV, and also on the Dreamcast. I only played Leon’s scenario too.

So this feels really fresh to me, an absolute treat. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the mega bump but I've just started playing this on my new PC and I'm really enjoying it.

I completed the original game earlier this year on N64 for the first time and I really like what they've done with this update. It's familiar, but they're tweaked lots of aspects so it feels new and exciting. I'm currently trying to save Ada and am juggling chess pieces while trying to avoid Mr X.

Capcom seems to be on fire this gen based on what I've played. Is 3 any good?

Things 3 does right:

* Remake Jill is great, much better than the wet lettuce characterisation of the original games

* Carlos magnificent mop and, like Jill, just a much better fleshed out character, and Brad gets a better send off than originally too

* The first third is great, and Nemesis is perfect when he reappears and chases you relentlessly

"Bitch can't even swim."

* The ludicrous final showdown where Jill picks up a railgun the size of an NBA player

However, it fumbles the ball too:

* There's only really that one section where the threat of the Nemesis looms over you, the rest is just cut scenes and boss fights

* The dismemberment feature of RE2Re seems to be gone/or heavily nerfed

* The Clock Tower has gone from a cool puzzle area to just a background for a boss fight...

* ..as has the town hall/park puzzle section entirely, along with the Grave Digger boss

* It's a lot more linear, lacks all the branching paths of the original and its multiple endings

* Some bosses are ridiculously hard on higher difficulties

* And it wraps up far too quickly, with little of the replay factor its predecessor had

I still like a lot of things about it but RE2Re is the better of the two.

I haven't played 3make, I got the impression they had got some feedback about 2 where people didn't like being constantly stalked by Mr X... so totally wasted the potential with Nemesis by cutting back on that element and making it more scripted. 

I'm really looking forward to 8 however, that looks like Capcom on top form. 

I thought Mr X in RE2 Remake was done brilliantly, but a friend of mine was loving the game and just stopped playing when they encountered it.

RE2 Remake is just brilliant, one of the games of the generation for me. I've played Leon A, Claire B and Claire A...on Leon B at the moment, playing every now and then.

The only thing I'd say is the Police Station chunk is the real star of the game, the latter bits fall off into pretty standard RE fare.