IGNORED

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

I have a friend who did the same thing. Strange really as he loved Alien Isolation which has a similar concept but which is far more difficult and stressful. I kept reassuring him you can escape from and survive a Mr X attack quite easily as long as you're paying attention but he never went back to it. 

I preferred 3 because it barely has any puzzles. It's a great speedrun. But all the criticism above is very fair. The difficulty is broken, especially on nightmare and inferno, and the Nemesis is annoyingly tough and usually requires luck.  On Assisted and Normal difficulty it is great. 

I loved Resi2 Remake as well, but in all the previous games I have preferred the running and shooting to the puzzles.  In R2 I found the chess piece but really tedious.  In all Resi games the puzzles can be done without thought, as trial and error, and I feel they break up the flow.

• 6 months later...
On 17/01/2020 at 12:19, BongoInferno said:

I liked the remake but I didn't love it in the same way I loved the original.

I thought introducing Mr X in the first run messes up the pacing. He was only in the second run in the original and spiced things up by keeping you on your toes as you revisited areas from the first run. In the remake he's a bit over used, so by the second run, he's become an annoying bell-end.

Finally got round to this after ages sat on my pile of shame. I've only played the original once but had to look up that I wasn't going mad when he appeared. No, I was right - I really can't be arsed with it now as he's sapping the relatively even pace I was digging up to now. It's turned into Benny Hill running while trying to solve puzzles and not shoot anything in my way for fear of him magically appearing.

Oh, I don't agree. He adds so much tension. I'm not sure if the Alien Isolation 'game director' method works at all times, as it does often leave you with no option but to cheese him by running back and forth to the save room, but on balance it's more emergent, unpredictable and exciting than scripted scenes.

I massively disagree as well. I played through Claire's A route last week and he was easily the highlight of the game. I was so pumped with adrenaline during the clock tower/library bit.

I also love how he follows you to the police station entrance, even stopping you from saving. So much tension.

I haven't played through the B routes, maybe he's overused there.

Terrifyingly boring, ha ha! 

I'm kidding. I mean, I'm not kidding kidding, but I'm glad he worked for you guys. For me he was just a 'okay, go hide for a bit' mechanic who just slowed things down even further while he stomped about nearby with his big clumpy boots.

8 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

He probably didn’t need to be in the first run but Capcom probably have data saying the B scenario was skipped by the majority of players in the original or something so they made sure no one would miss it this time.

That was before internet metrics could be used, but maybe they had questionnaires or something. I know they used to include that in Japan in the Jewel cases. Or maybe just talked to people.

I also missed the way that the original would modify the B game based on player A's actions, like taking ammo and supplies that'd then be gone when character B arrives. I remember people giving the IGN reviewer a lot of stick for playing the A run twice in RE2make, but the B run was surprisingly similar this time out anyway. 

Ah, and I remember doing Leon's run with no saves or health sprays in under two and a half hours to get the minigun. Good times, PS1!

I've been on a bit of a Survival Horror kick recently, and replaying pretty much everything from the past few years. RE7's definitely better in VR if only for the novelty, and The Evil Within 2 should have sold a billion copies. Really though, isn't it time for a new Dino Crisis yet? It's gotta be, right?

12 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Terrifyingly boring, ha ha! 

I'm kidding. I mean, I'm not kidding kidding, but I'm glad he worked for you guys. For me he was just a 'okay, go hide for a bit' mechanic who just slowed things down even further while he stomped about nearby with his big clumpy boots.

I barely hid from him, I just used the layout of the levels to quite literally run rings around him, and using weapons when he cornered me. He was constantly following me for ages, giving me heart palpitations. Hiding and waiting does sound a bit boring.

6 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I barely hid from him, I just used the layout of the levels to quite literally run rings around him. He was constantly following me for ages, giving me heart palpitations. Hiding and waiting does sound a bit boring.

Ah. I didn't do that as I assumed he'd just follow you until you outran him and wound up having to hide anyway. I just hopped into a nearby room and waited it out whenever I heard him, which is decidedly less thrilling. 

And yes, he definitely carries himself with sartorial elegance and a sense of refinement. 

MRX.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 12/08/2015 at 19:20, Jg15 said:

The one thing I would say is that they need to retain the original soundtrack. The music throughout the police station I still remember to this day, lots of dramatic piano!

Yes, finally started playing this a week or so a go and well and truly hooked! It's brilliant and all the more better for having the original soundtrack included (something I asked for a few years back lol).

I'm a terrible procrastinator though. Trying to make every bullet count and constantly reloading saves (where things don't go to plan) just to see if I can get out of a situation more efficiently.

• 6 months later...

Finally got round to playing this, and finishing with Leon's campaign first.

Absolutely loved it from start to finish, and even though I had my doubts when I realized Mr. X could now pop up almost everywhere, he didn't turn into the nuisance I feared he would be, and was gone for most of the game relatively soon after he became a menace. 

This game also has one of the most satisfying flame thrower levels in gaming history I reckon.

Now if only they'd do a similar Code Veronica remake, rounding off the first story arc. At least RE4 should be next on the REmake list. Which is even better.

1 minute ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Finally got round to playing this, and finishing with Leon's campaign first.

Absolutely loved it from start to finish, and even though I had my doubts when I realized Mr. X could now pop up almost everywhere, he didn't turn into the nuisance I feared he would be, and was gone for most of the game relatively soon after he became a menace. 

This game also has one of the most satisfying flame thrower levels in gaming history I reckon.

Now if only they'd do a similar Code Veronica remake. At least RE4 should be next on the REmake list. Which is even better.

It is easily the game of 2019, and an absolute testament to why remakes, when directed with so much love and talent can be truly sensational, for new and old fans alike! 

• 6 months later...

This reappearing is well timed.  I finally played through the RE2 remake over the last week or so using Leon in run a and Claire for run B.  I'd finished it - but only on Claires run previously on the PSX, so when playing RE4 on the GameCube I was a bit confused about who Ada was :)

RE is just on the cusp of being playable for me - I liked to go around and kill everything dead properly.  I don't like having to leave things alive (or undead) as I'd run out of ammo, but that said I had a great time playing through.  Mr X scared the crap out of me when he first turned up, but by the 2nd playthrough I had things dialed in a bit more.

However, the 4th survivor is my worst nightmare, having to try and get through crowds of over powered zombies with limited weapons and no pickups - too much for me after a few tries.  I didn't like the Ghost survivor idea much either.

Instead I went and started up RE3, which I remember starting on the PSX and then not doing much with.  I'm only up to the first save point but it's quite an opening for a game - I hope it'll be good.  I noticed the "View PS5" link pop up when I stuck the disc in my PS5 this evening, but it says "not found" if you click on it right now, perhaps something will happen to it soon.

7 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Resi 3 remake doesn't deserve the shit rap it got, it's a cracker of a game.

I actually enjoyed it more than 2.

I'd say it has less replayability than 2, but the first run-through is better, so play it on hardcore if you can.