IGNORED

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

3 got a shit rap?!? 

I thought it was incredibly well received? Personally, I always preferred (original) 2 to (original) 3 anyway, and 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, so it’s not surprise to me that I also preferred remake 2 to remake 3. 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

3 got a shit rap?!? 

I thought it was incredibly well received? Personally, I always preferred (original) 2 to (original) 3 anyway, and 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, so it’s not surprise to me that I also preferred remake 2 to remake 3. 

The main two criticisms are Nemesis being a bit shit compared to Mr Big (no dynamic AI/stalking), especially on repeated playthroughs, and the hardest difficulty having some particularly unfair sections.

Threemake is ruined at the halfway point by turning nemesis

Spoiler

into a shit jurassic park monster.

and half the scenarios are missing. As is the strategic dismemberment.

It feels like it actually came before re2make as it's feature stripped  

It's worth a tenner but if you paid full price on launch for this 4 hour game at a casual pace you probably wouldn't be so keen on it

Also no mercenaries or alternate modes of which re2make had plenty 

Yeah the clock tower and whole Gravedigger boss bit should have been included in 3make, they were 2 of the highlights. I was pretty disappointed they weren't there, and the stripped back nature of the whole package, while great (I still really liked it), actually made it feel a bit like DLC for Re2make. 😕

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

What are the odds all that’s been added back for the next gen versions? 

one can dream 😀

Having read up on it this morning, it seems stuff like the puzzles, the clocktower, the press office and the graveyard (and, as a result, the grave digger boss) got cut in order to make the game more 'realistic'. It's the same reason they gave for cutting spiders and moths from Resi 2 remake.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Having read up on it this morning, it seems stuff like the puzzles, the clocktower, the press office and the graveyard (and, as a result, the grave digger boss) got cut in order to make the game more 'realistic'. It's the same reason they gave for cutting spiders and moths from Resi 2 remake.

I’d say they used resources on the crap multiplayer component that should have been used on the main game 

I also preferred Remake 3 to Remake 2 (although they're both excellent). 

The linearity and brisk pace of RE3R made replaying and speed running it faster and faster an absolute joy.
I also love the original PS1 game, but with these remakes I do not give a flying fuck about the deviations from the original PlayStation versions. These are both complete reinterpretations and don't need to be faithful to a fault.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

I’d say they used resources on the crap multiplayer component that should have been used on the main game 

Indeed.

I also don't buy the whole 'realism' thing as an excuse, tbh. They shoehorned in the really awkward orphanage section into RE2 remake that was crap, wasn't in the original and made no real sense. So removing clocktower etc from 3 because it didn't make sense for Jill's story is bull.

Threemake is great, for the most part, but it really is almost a DLC for 2. You can quite easily finish it in an hour, there's really not much to it. Great for replayability mind.

Except for the broken final boss on highest difficulty.

The biggest difference between the pair is the the 2nd stands tall with the original, where the 3rd falls short. Which is a shame as RE:Nemesis was actually not great anyway. 

Still a totally great experience at a discounted cost, but 2 was value through and through. The atmosphere, technology and character delivery was just something else. 

I think the team that worked on 2, have likely been working on whatever is next, which I imagine is Rem4ke. I have decent hopes for what they can deliver! I personally cannot wait to see how they age Leon from 2 to fit.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Fuck outta here with that. Code Veronica was where the series started to shit the bed. 

As someone who recently replayed the Japanese version on Dreamcast (with an English patch), with its correct difficulty and the lock-on aiming, it’s one of the very best trad RE games. 

The US/UK releases for most of the old RE games were made artificially hard to counter rentals at Blockbuster and the likes. 

2 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I think you'll find that zero holds that title. The first all-out shiter was 5.

Nah 5 has issues but is still a good laugh. The Mercenaries mode is top tier.

It’s 6 that is the shiter.

8 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Nah 5 has issues but is still a good laugh. The Mercenaries mode is top tier.

It’s 6 that is the shiter.

6 is delicious stupid, and has the best character action move-set of all the over-the-shoulder RE games. You can really push the envelope of it all in Mercenaries. Totally overlooked and under-rated game. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

6 is delicious stupid, and has the best character action move-set of all the over-the-shoulder RE games. You can really push the envelope of it all in Mercenaries. Totally overlooked and under-rated game. 

Yeah but the headshots got no oomph.  

4/10

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm sorry, but if you hold out any sort of candle for 6 then your opinion is null and void. It is the absolute nadir of the series. It is so bad that despite selling buckets Capcom realised that they had to change course.

I apologise if this post is overly aggressive, I am currently a bit pished.

When look back on the history of the series Resi sure has been a wild ride. So many highs and lows and crazy mixes of high and low at the same time. What a series. 

I played through CV on the series x using the 360 version recently as that’s the only version I hadn’t completed previously. I have to admit for the first time in I don’t know how many play throughs I struggled with it. Definitely needs a remake. 

7 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I'm sorry, but if you hold out any sort of candle for 6 then your opinion is null and void. It is the absolute nadir of the series. It is so bad that despite selling buckets Capcom realised that they had to change course.

I apologise if this post is overly aggressive, I am currently a bit pished.

That’s ok, you’re also wrong and likely didn’t play it properly or even remotely gave it a chance so your opinion is the one that’s more likely actually null and void. x 

I am being a bit dry here for humour sake in the face of pissed rudeness, as I don’t actually think anyone’s opinion doesn’t matter. It’s all subjective.