rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Glad it won, I think it's a very special game indeed, I didn't play the original but love this and the multiple playthroughs and extra modes (Hunk!!).

If this had a NG+ style mode where you could keep your inventory size and guns (like RE4) it would be one of my favourite games ever I think.

Been waiting for ages for a good sale on this and now seems to be that time, it's currently $26 on PSN (15 quid) for Black Friday so am likely to get it. I have a question though, for just $3 more (1.72 quid) you can get the Deluxe edition. Is that worth it? I typically don't bother with DLC, I'm only really wanting to play it through once and that will be it. I don't care about costumes and guns, the only slightly interesting sounding extra is being able to have the original soundtrack over the new one. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

Denuvo DRM has apparently just been removed from the Steam build. I think they updated the demo too.

yeah the demo no longer has a one shot timer so can be played multiple times. There’s also an Easter egg where you can hear Nemesis in one area. 

Played the bonus modes yesterday. They are so good, really elevated the game to the next level for me.

4th survivor and tofu are excellent, they force you to learn proper dodges and resource management.

When you break the systems down for manipulating dodges this game really is classic RE at it’s core.

Ghost survivors are good too but 4th survivor still trumps all of them.

I hope RE3 has this emphasis on dodging also as it’s one of the most rewarding feelings I get when playing RE.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m too scared to start this :( 

It's not very scary, really. Intense, definitely. There's not that many jump scares, either.

Just play it. It's great!

It’s a proper pant shitter. 

It reminds me of games like Condemned, Silent Hill etc. In so far as while you want to play it, you also want to get through each room without meeting a single thing. 

It’s brilliant. Intense is probably the best way to describe it as @Jamie John said. 

22 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m too scared to start this :( 

As someone who was too utterly terrified to continue Alien Isolation once I got to Medical...

..you'll be fine, it's nerve wracking at first but once you get used to the rhythms of the various horrors, you'll be laying down the piss in no time. Plus Claire absolutely does not take any shit from anything, she's a bullet dispensing murder gal.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Can you play this without knowing the intricacies of the RE series? My last RE game was CV on DC and I have never played the PsOne games. 

Yes, do it, it's so good!

Previous to playing this I'd played only a bit of RE0, RE1, RE:CV and loads of RE4.

RE2 : Remake is a very special game indeed.

Not really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway, regarding Claire's weapons

Spoiler

I think I'm right that there's no shotgun available in their playthrough, it's replaced by the grenade launcher. I really missed the shotgun in those runs because the RE2 shotgun is an absolute beast

I've done both characters at normal difficulty when the game launched and played through both again on survival difficulty over the holiday. I also did all the extra scenarios. The cop in a shop one was mentally tense. I nearly had an aneurysm.

After playing on survival I would probably change it to my game of the year if it wasn't already too late. It's the perfect remake and an absolute joy to play.

• Upvote 2

It really is a great game, and having just replayed Resi 4, am loving the differences.

Inventory management is a pain at first, but is a great design choice. Makes you think about what you have to carry a lot more and adds to the strategic side. Plus the map logging everything for you that you don't pick up or open is great. While I enjoy playing games surrounded by my own notes, this just lets you concentrate more on whats going on. And the atmosphere is brilliant. I'm only early on, but just set off on a little jaunt that led to a cutscene that led to a new path and a key item, but no typewriter in sight. And I can hear a zombie crashing around somewhere, so I don't want to just open doors but I kind of have to.....and Claire gets jumped by a zombie. It has not felt frustrating yet though, it just plays so well. I'll be back on to try that section later today.

10 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I've done both characters at normal difficulty when the game launched and played through both again on survival difficulty over the holiday. I also did all the extra scenarios. The cop in a shop one was mentally tense. I nearly had an aneurysm.

After playing on survival I would probably change it to my game of the year if it wasn't already too late. It's the perfect remake and an absolute joy to play.

Is Survival a difficulty mode that's unlocked or a scenario?

1 minute ago, merrychan said:

Is Survival a difficulty mode that's unlocked or a scenario?

Sorry, I meant hardcore or whatever the one is where you can only save with ribbons.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Sorry, I meant hardcore or whatever the one is where you can only save with ribbons.

Ah yes, I should really give that a go...I started a Claire / Leon recently run so maybe after that :)