IGNORED

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

The consensus is that R3make isn't as good as Re2make, and it's one I don't necessarily agree with... with some major caveats. I find Re2's approach to ammo conservation and hiding from Mr. X boring instead of tense, to be honest, and 3 has a lot more zombie slaying in it.

That said, when they said that Re3 feels like an expansion, they mean it. It's a fraction of the size and much more linear... which isn't necessarily a bad thing when done well, but it also doesn't feel particularly 'dense' in what it's offering to compensate for the cut down size. There's not a lot of enemy types, not a huge variety of guns or upgrades and it feels like an offshoot rather than a real fully fledged sequel.

Great for a fiver, but even as someone who generally liked its overall approach, there's not much to it.

But then, I just played through 5 about a month ago or so and had a great time, so I'm at loggerheads with how most people view the series.

Re: @Down by Law Yeah, I put Re2 on for five minutes and it defaults to Ray Tracing mode - AKA 'The game isn't buttery smooth any more' mode.

Nah, that's going straight off.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

That said, when they said that Re3 feels like an expansion, they mean it. It's a fraction of the size and much more linear... which isn't necessarily a bad thing when done well, but it also doesn't feel particularly 'dense' in what it's offering to compensate for the cut down size. There's not a lot of enemy types, not a huge variety of guns or upgrades and it feels like an offshoot rather than a real fully fledged sequel.

I mean, that’s a criticism that could be levelled at the original Resident Evil 3, so in that sense it’s quite an accurate remake :P

Also, NO UNLOCKABLE REGINA COSTUME. The bastards! (Though I did play it on PC so I modded in Christie's costume from Doa instead)

They did remove a lot even from vanilla 3 come to think of it. Like the choice system and the tower area, so it really does feel even more like a DLC for 2.

Even RE2's 'zapping' (was that what they called how one person's actions affected the other?) system was better done in the original compared to Re2make. I remember the IGN guy wondering if he'd accidentally played the A scenario twice and everyone mocking him for it, but it's just that they're so similar now.

14 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Also, NO UNLOCKABLE REGINA COSTUME. The bastards! (Though I did play it on PC so I modded in Christie's costume from Doa instead)

They did remove a lot even from vanilla 3 come to think of it. Like the choice system and the tower area, so it really does feel even more like a DLC for 2.

Even RE2's 'zapping' (was that what they called how one person's actions affected the other?) system was better done in the original compared to Re2make. I remember the IGN guy wondering if he'd accidentally played the A scenario twice and everyone mocking him for it, but it's just that they're so similar now.

Removed stuff from 3 includes whole areas (the Clock Tower, the graveyard, the newspaper office, the town hall), the choice system you mentioned, enemies and bosses (e.g. the gravedigger worm) and so on, but even the original version of 3 was a much smaller scale game than 2 back in the day and it always felt like a Resi 2.5 rather than a full blown sequel and is easily my least-played of the original trilogy on Playstation.

Zapping was switching between Rebecca and Billy in 0, I don't know what the Resi 2 system was called but I know exactly what you mean - taking ammo as Leon would mean it wasn't there for Claire and so on...

I loved REMake 2 but I do really miss the diversity of the Leon A/B Claire A/B mixups to tell the complete story - they just feel too similar now. Depending on if you were doing A or B would mean different areas were available, and characters met different fates (I mean, they mostly still died but how they died differed!).

Aha! I'm actually doing a slow playthrough of RE0 right now. I remembered one of the partner systems was called Zapping, but wasn't sure which one.

And yeah. Picking up an SMG and all the ammo in playthrough A, thus screwing over person B was no longer a thing, and that's a real shame.

Speedrunners take much the same time to complete resident evil 2 and 3. 

Resi2 feels a much bigger game but there is a lot more backtracking, puzzles and elements to slow you down.  Resi3 is largely about progressing forwards, with few puzzles. I prefer 3, I think it gives you the chance to come up with a good speedrun yourself. Resi2 is the traditional "better" game but I prefer 3.

Playing it on Xbox now, 1080pz have they released the patch? I can select ray tracing and high frame rate but it all looks much the same as ever. 

So on PS5, the downloadable version of Res 7 that you get free with Game Collection doesn't seem to work with the PS5 upgrade. So I've had to delete that, and put my PS4 disc in the machine - only then do I get a link to the PS5 upgrade, and I have to keep the disc in the drive for that.

Fucking Sony.

45 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So on PS5, the downloadable version of Res 7 that you get free with Game Collection doesn't seem to work with the PS5 upgrade. So I've had to delete that, and put my PS4 disc in the machine - only then do I get a link to the PS5 upgrade, and I have to keep the disc in the drive for that.

Fucking Sony.

That because with Game Collection/PSN/Gamepass you're renting and not actually purchasing it. It would be the exact same thing if you had the disc for an Xbox.

So fuck Capcom then for not giving a free lunch?

Watching comparison videos on YouTube.  I may only have a 1080p telly, but it's a decent one, and I can't tell the difference.  Actually scrap that - I can see it is different, however it's not "better" or even... I don't know, it's just slightly different.  

Like, if you watch the two side by side you can see, for example, that puddles look different. We know, because they are telling us, that the reflection is real where before it was simulated.  But it looked great before, and it looks great now, so unless I'm missing the point, I can't see it.  The point. It's like they have used ray tracing to create the same end result they had all along. But for me, with my non-VRR TV, the hit on the frame rate is way more visible than the improvements which are nominal at best.  Disappointed as these are two of my favourite games.

54 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Watching comparison videos on YouTube.  I may only have a 1080p telly, but it's a decent one, and I can't tell the difference.  Actually scrap that - I can see it is different, however it's not "better" or even... I don't know, it's just slightly different.  

Like, if you watch the two side by side you can see, for example, that puddles look different. We know, because they are telling us, that the reflection is real where before it was simulated.  But it looked great before, and it looks great now, so unless I'm missing the point, I can't see it.  The point. It's like they have used ray tracing to create the same end result they had all along. But for me, with my non-VRR TV, the hit on the frame rate is way more visible than the improvements which are nominal at best.  Disappointed as these are two of my favourite games.

Have you tried

buying a 4K tv? 

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

That because with Game Collection/PSN/Gamepass you're renting and not actually purchasing it. It would be the exact same thing if you had the disc for an Xbox.

So fuck Capcom then for not giving a free lunch?

I'm pretty sure that on Xbox you get the version for whichever console you're playing on.  

I believe that @MansizeRooster is decrying the fact that the same does not appear to be the case on PlayStation, hence having to use the disc to get the upgrade.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

This is why. Doesn’t matter how good your tv is, if it’s 1080p you’re not going to be able to tell the difference. 

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

These games were never designed for ray tracing, and artists have got VERY good at simulating lighting "artificially". The fact the ray tracing only gives marginal improvements here just shows what a good job they did in the first place.

The real advance with this technology will come when games use ray tracing as standard, it'll free up development resources enormously as games will simply calculate on the fly all this stuff that presently has to be done by hand.

I haven't yet found a single game on the Series X where turning on ray tracing is worth the performance hit. It's a nice proof of concept for now but I'll take the extra frames over slightly shinier puddles any day.

19 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

the original version of 3 was a much smaller scale game than 2 back in the day and it always felt like a Resi 2.5 rather than a full blown sequel

That's because it is. The original Resident Evil 3 was going to be a story about Hunk on a cruise ship, but it got canned when the PS2 was announced. That team moved on to the first build of RE4 (which eventually became Devil May Cry), and Capcom had two choices for RE3, the side story about someone escaping Raccoon City (which didn't originally feature Jill and was called RE 1.9 as it was set right before 2) or CODE: Veronica. They chose to rename 1.9 to 3 as then all three games in the numbered trilogy would be together on the PS1.

54 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

These games were never designed for ray tracing, and artists have got VERY good at simulating lighting "artificially". The fact the ray tracing only gives marginal improvements here just shows what a good job they did in the first place.

The real advance with this technology will come when games use ray tracing as standard, it'll free up development resources enormously as games will simply calculate on the fly all this stuff that presently has to be done by hand.

I haven't yet found a single game on the Series X where turning on ray tracing is worth the performance hit. It's a nice proof of concept for now but I'll take the extra frames over slightly shinier puddles any day.

I very much agree with all of this. 

10 hours ago, dumpster said:

I get that I won't see the improvement in resolution or frame rate, but surely I should see the benefits of ray tracing in 1080p?

There should still be an improvement in visuals when they're being downscaled from 4k to 1080p (vs. native 1080p). I say this based on what the internet informs me, rather than any empirical testing I've personally carried out though.

The patch for RE2 didn't bring an HDR fix, sadly.  So, I'm back to running the game in SDR mode, using Win 12's Auto HDR.  Not totally accurate but better than the alternative.

Not seeing much if any improvement from the raytracing (am on PC w/3090 GPU & 5950X CPU).

The lighting was much improved in 3. Stunning looking game. 

I think I played remake2 too much on release. Can’t really get into it again now. Must have finished it 20 or so times on release though 😅

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

This is a really great answer thanks, but it confirms my disappointment....  Because a couple of months ago Capcom announced this graphical update for Xbox Series consoles and now it's here it's not especially different to what we had.  In fact, some of the artificially created reflections and lighting were actively better than the "one size fits all" approach to hardware based ray tracing. Maybe my expectations were too great, but it seems they have changed the game rather than upgrading it.  The lighting is different but not better because it was so well done in the first place. 

As you, and others, have said, what was an amazing game is now an equally amazing game but with frame rate issues.  Solve these issues. By turning off ray tracing, which leaves you back where you were.  It's probably technically incredible but the changes are too small fore to register.  I assume that if I had a 4K TV and used VRR, I could then play at silky smooth frame rates with ray tracing on? But I can play at 60fps with ray tracing off, and ray tracing isn't making a visible difference to me.

13 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I assume that if I had a 4K TV and used VRR, I could then play at silky smooth frame rates with ray tracing on?

Um, not really in my experience, the VRR helps smooth out the framerate but it's noticeably less smooth still than with ray tracing off. (In Resi 2, at least, which is the only one I own).

Of course if you had a 4K TV, you could experience the game at a higher resolution or at a higher frame rate, which are both solid improvements.

Don't dismiss ray tracing altogether, though, other games do show it off a bit better. Doom Eternal, for instance, has nice ray tracing and maintains a solid 60fps. But most games this gen will unfortunately have some sort of trade-off in terms of frame rate. Lots of games (GOTG, Control etc) drop the frame rate straight to 30 fps as soon as you turn on the fancy ray tracing effects.

@Garwoofoo aye, don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing ray tracing as a benefit, I'm just pissed off that they added ray tracing to a game that already had a good enough lighting system then announced what a great update it would be.  The Resi remakes are so good that I'd already decided I'd be playing through them both again with these fantastic upgraded graphics we were promised and it's almost unchanged on my TV.

I'm interested to know more about this. Why is it that raytracing has less noticable benefits on lower resolutions? Other graphical bells and whistles work on any resolution usually right?

I think of these raytracing additions as tests they've done to see how they integrate with the RE Engine, which they're now 'giving away/monetising' ahead of the feature's fuller inclusion in future titles.