rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

5 hours ago, merrychan said:

Not really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway, regarding Claire's weapons

Hide contents

I think I'm right that there's no shotgun available in their playthrough, it's replaced by the grenade launcher. I really missed the shotgun in those runs because the RE2 shotgun is an absolute beast

Yes. Each character has unique weapons.

On the back of seeing my brother play bits of this, and its high rating in rlllmuk's GOTY list, I gave this a go. 

Nope. 

The HDR was shit anyway. ;)

On 12/01/2020 at 16:10, jimmbob said:

It’s a proper pant shitter. 

It reminds me of games like Condemned, Silent Hill etc. In so far as while you want to play it, you also want to get through each room without meeting a single thing. 

It’s brilliant. Intense is probably the best way to describe it as @Jamie John said. 

Damn. Sounds like an entire new game compared to the PSOne original. That one was more comedy horror with some jump scares. Awesome game nonetheless.

I liked the remake but I didn't love it in the same way I loved the original.

I thought introducing Mr X in the first run messes up the pacing. He was only in the second run in the original and spiced things up by keeping you on your toes as you revisited areas from the first run. In the remake he's a bit over used, so by the second run, he's become an annoying bell-end.

On the first and second runs, it's already been said how the intertwining nature of the stories was lost and I agree this was a mistake. It makes the second run really repetitive and the story doesn't evolve properly.

Some of the cool hidden stuff disappeared, like doing a 'no gun' run to the underground tunnel by the police station where you have to kill Barry with a knife (although I guess it wasn't him after all) to get a key which gets you a parts for a super powered magnum.

Enemy variety was really dialled down and they dropped the hunters and spiders that were in the original (even though I hate spiders and dread to think what they would look like in the new engine). Lickers were re-used all over the place. I thought the plant enemies were a bit shit as well really. 

It's a great game, but if anything it gave me more of an appreciation (no doubt rose tinted) for the original RE2. 

• Upvote 4

I remember the IGN guy getting a lot of flak for... did he run through each character's A run instead of A then B?... but it's actually kind of amazing how similar each run actually is in this. It doesn't have the evolution from one to the next that the original had, stuff like taking ammo that wouldn't be there in the next run, or solving a puzzle that'd windup already solved.

I did Leon A / Claire B first time through and yep it was nice to play the scneario from another perspective but it did feel quite repetitive.

Also completely agree on the lack of secret / unlockable stuff...I didn't play it back in the day but folk I knew absolutely rinsed the game to get unlocks etc.

Maybe I'm over whinging since all the unlockables that are there are tied to completing the game under a certain time :D

Was enjoying this, doing a Claire run first, and was thinking it really wasn't that tough a game, that I was fine with managing inventory etc. but bloody hell does it step up the pace and panic once a certain hatted character appears. Places I thought were safe are not now and I am running round like an idiot and struggling to have all the items I need on me. Just got sent back to an earlier save as I got jumped when I wasn't expecting but really enjoying it. I think I need to plan my routes from here on a bit more carefully.

• Upvote 3

I think this is my fave PS4 trophy. Really felt I'd earned it

83322178_10157717815735803_2158717049063

Managed to get it with 30 rounds to unlock the bunny ears:

83947144_10157717815885803_7775234009537

• Upvote 2

Just started playing this.  May seem like a strange question but can you aim and move at the same time?

Bought this two months ago and only because of the Corona lockdown am I playing this now. It is SUPERB. I'm playing it on Assisted which still isn't exactly easy. 

• Upvote 1

On 17/01/2020 at 12:19, BongoInferno said:

Enemy variety was really dialled down and they dropped the hunters and spiders that were in the original (even though I hate spiders and dread to think what they would look like in the new engine). Lickers were re-used all over the place. I thought the plant enemies were a bit shit as well really. 

It's a great game, but if anything it gave me more of an appreciation (no doubt rose tinted) for the original RE2. 

Didn't think the original had any hunters, just lickers. Based on my vague 20+ year old memories, the hunters came back in RE3.

I wish they'd forgotten about the whole intertwining idea and just lengthened the full story for the remake. Absolutely loved all of the police station but thought the final third of the game was over in a flash and nowhere near as impressive.

6 hours ago, JoeK said:

I wish they'd forgotten about the whole intertwining idea and just lengthened the full story for the remake. Absolutely loved all of the police station but thought the final third of the game was over in a flash and nowhere near as impressive.

Agreed, I think the police station is superbly designed

On 24/03/2020 at 14:05, JoeK said:

Yeah, agreed. Really loved the police station but

Spoiler

the lab environments and puzzles felt quite uninspired.

Shoutout to everyone else just realising, 20-21 years late, that, being blind, the lickers work roughly the same way in the original as they do in the remake. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely loving this. Started it in earnest at the weekend and it’s just such a pleasure to be back in an RE game which plays at the pace of the originals, but with modern bells and whistles.

It also benefits from being (unusually) the classic RE game I spent the least time with. I never had a PS,  so my only experience of the game for years was the Edge issue, and that episode of Spaced. I didn’t play it until after CV, and also on the Dreamcast. I only played Leon’s scenario too.

So this feels really fresh to me, an absolute treat. 

• Upvote 2