IGNORED

What has happened to the virtual consoles?

Oh Danny Boy

The ability to play HD retro games was the main reason for me jumping aboard the last gen, I'm not a big gamer anymore and can never justify the expense of collecting retro games and consoles, neither do I have the space for a CRT to play them on, but I always have a hankering for some proper old school games now and then. XBLA and HD remakes/updates satisfied my gaming needs. But over the last few years I've noticed the trend of publishers porting old console/arcade games onto the current generation's digital marketplace has dried up. I'm not familiar with the PS4 and Xbone but haven't noticed any retro content being released, the WiiU's virtual console is pitiful and the XBLA on the 360 has all but dried up.

So is there any future for reissues of retro/arcade games on modern systems? Or should I just give up all hope and just invest in a Retron 5?

They've realised that very few people buy them sadly. Theres been a few ports to XBLA and the leaderboards can show less than 10,000 people for some of the retro ports.

I don't think they have ever been big sellers. But surely enough to make a tidy profit on very little investment, that is why so many were released. Myabe we'll see a return the the ps2/xbox era of big retro comps rather than individual downloads.

PS4 has been receiving some classic arcade ports in the last couple of months seemingly out of nowhere (Gradius!). I'm still trying to figure out who's responsible for them.

They're a stupid price, unfortunately. Eight quid is daft! Halve it and they'd be irresistible - I'd buy the lot.

The Darius and Ninja Warriors series (and other Taito titles) are on their way later this year. Hopefully the prices will be better

Hey, Taito are releasing their back catalogue? I got to keep an eye on that, I was disappointed that they only released a few things on XBLA.

Quick research...

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/20/darius-the-legend-of-kage-and-other-arcade-hits-by-taito-are-headed-to-ps4/#Si3OZkl72Je65yOX.99

Will they come to the UK PSN?

There's one Taito game I'd buy in a heartbeat if it were ever ported somewhere - the mighty Dead Connection. Fancy an insanely refined, lovingly presented, pseudo prohibition-era-themed arena shooter with destructible everything and a psychotic emphasis on kill counts? Dead Connection.

Another game that massively deserves the port treatment is Data East's totally batshit Cliffhanger Edward Randy. Never before or since has a game been almost entirely focused around leaping & swinging from vehicle to vehicle (of the land, air and sea variety) whilst fending off hordes of kamikaze ninja Nazis. It's like an Indiana Jones movie distilled into a single, unfathomably over the top action sequence.

Edward Randy was also a clear inspiration for parts of Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier, and I was reminded of it today as the extra credit sequence for the new Gunstar 3DS port explicitly references it.

Pity that these games probably amused punters more than they managed to fleece them of their silver in the early '90s. They have to be up there with the very best games of their kind.

Myabe we'll see a return the the ps2/xbox era of big retro comps rather than individual downloads.

The Namco Museum collection on the original PlayStation was a huge seller for some reason, people must have really loved Pac-Man back in them days.

Another game that massively deserves the port treatment is Data East's totally batshit Cliffhanger Edward Randy. Never before or since has a game been almost entirely focused around leaping & swinging from vehicle to vehicle (of the land, air and sea variety) whilst fending off hordes of kamikaze ninja Nazis. It's like an Indiana Jones movie distilled into a single, unfathomably over the top action sequence.

Cheers for bringing this name to my attention, I saw it running once in some seaside Arcade but didn't catch the title at the time, I do remember it looking like a really interesting game with a fight on a biplane, I unfortunately didn't play it or see it again. It's amazing how short all the Arcade titles are if you go through them in one go, no wonder nobody is willing to pay good money for ports of such games.

Why did they add a whole load of C64 games to the Nintendo VC at one point, then take them off again?

It annoys me when they do that sort of thing. I bought Double Dragon on the Xbox 360, then they removed it from the marketplace. When my hard drive failed and i replaced it, I couldn't re-download it again despite having assuming at the time I bought it that it was mine forever.

Now its on PS4 I get the chance to buy exactly the same game again for £8. That would be the third time I bought it though, if you include buying it on the Spectrum in 1988.

Goddammit I just want to be able to play DD whenever I want.

A big problem is ownership rights - the games, the music, additional licenses.

Take Out Run, Sega lost the Ferrari license meaning they can't sell the original, only a modified version.

The original Tony Hawks games have lost the licensed music rights

The publisher of the C64 titles goes out of business.

It's a bit of a nightmare, especially if you have to re download something.

Although the game selection virtual console on the Wii U is worse than the Wii. It looks like the SNES games are now limited to those by Nintendo, Konami and Capcom the Megadrive and PC Engine games are now gone, although you can still get them in Wii mode.

Ah, but he said they lost the licence meaning they can't sell the original game, which of course they can because it's on the 3DS (albeit with a changed logo - but it's the same game), and they never had the licence in the first place (so couldn't lose it).