IGNORED

Non Gamers Are Nuts!

Spectre

;)

On friday I was just putting on my coat and getting ready to leave work. We started the, "What are you doing over the weekend?" conversation, and it came to my turn in the group.

"Oh, I am really looking forward to the weekend," I say, "my girlfriend's brother's coming down from Leeds for a gaming weekend!!"

One of my colleagues says, "Oh, no! You're not going shooting pheasants are you?"

WTF? :(

I'm sure some people still think only kids play on consoles, and don't realise the average age limit of gamers is in their thirties now!

Yep.

I get the mickey taken out of me at work all the time, by people who will spend £6000 on a motorcycle, £1000 on leathers etc, then only use it on dry, sunny days in summer... ;)

Or by people into collecting 50's clothing, books, stray animals etc...

Yet all those people appear shocked when you accuse them of having a slightly odd hobby...

Games are like soap operas.....people will admit to having had a go on grand theft auto and enjoying it, but they like to think gamers are sad...

A lot of people I know through college say they used to play games but don't have time now. It becomes apparent these people spend their free time working to make money so they can afford clothes and alcohol. :huh:. Fair enough I suppose...at least they don't ridicule me for not doing this.

I've turned my girlfriend back to the way of games. She used to be big into a lot of point and click adventures until she got older and started beating people up. Karate, she calls it.

Now she's moved in, she's back playing a whole bunch more games. And Theme Hospital, which she steals my laptop for every chance she gets.

Suits me though. More time for my gaming.

Whenever I add to my Retro console, my father always asks when will i sell it and how much it'll make...

Luckily he's 200 miles away, and my girlfriend seems resigned to the fact that seeing as I am faithful, loving, pay most of the bills, and don't even go down the pub that often, I should be allowed 5 consoles in the living room at any one time...

Mine's the same. After having splashed out £70 on some games over the Christmas period (I'm a very poor student), she then got pretty damned upset when I forked out another £136 for an Xbox and three games, plus 2 GC games. From the trading folder.

I now have three consoles not-entirely-safely stacked up beside my very small telly, and an impressive stack of games on a shelf beside the bed. There's very little room to move in my bedroom...

"More money than sense" is always coming from my mum's lips.

My dad keeps telling me when I'm going to stop playing with computers. I always tell him the hobbies he suggests, such as cars, are far more expensive. Keeps him quiet.

Bringing my GBA to college usually elicits "Urhurhur, playing yer little kiddie games!". Five minutes later, "Can I have a go?"

My dad keeps telling me when I'm going to stop playing with computers. I always tell him the hobbies he suggests, such as cars, are far more expensive. Keeps him quiet.

Indeed. I am able to point out that my entire games collection still cost me less than my dad's Caterham.

Tim ™

My Dad's hobby is golf. So he's in no position to talk to me about daft hobbies - he's walking around in the rain at 7am every Saturday. I'm sleeping. Or playing a late night game.

But then, he loves his gadgets, and while he doesn't like games he doesn't mind us liking them. Four out of us five kids have or have had PlayStations... (3 have a PS2, 2 have a SNES, there's a Game Boy, a GBA and a GBA SP, a Cube, and an Xbox).

All that started when my parents bought my brother a CPC for Christmas. So it's their fault.

They've kind of got used to it now.

I can safely say most of my income goes on games every month but I can think of nothing else i'd rather spend it on. I dont find gaming is a hobby people frown upon, maybe excessive gaming (which i'm a big fan of :huh: ) is what people cant work out.

It's exactly the same for me. I enjoy spending money on games, consoles and the like, and due to where I work (Gamestation), I get to spend more money on it all!

I'd rather not spend money on a motorbike, or a car, as I don't need either - and yes, before you say it, I NEED my games. And it probably costs me less than a car does too.

If anyone frowns on my hobby, they can pish awf, it's got nothing to do with them, and it's not my fault they can't accept that someone likes something other than getting hammered down the local recamatorium every night drinking their cider.

Someone at my dads work always used to say 'are you still playing your playstations' in a kind of take the piss kind of way.

This Christmas he bought a PS2 for his daughter, and was talking to me about conflict desert storm. I had no idea what he was talking about as ive never played the game. But he was getting highly animated by the fact that he could shoot people on his tv. But i did find it amusing that somebody who always thought i was too old to be still playing around with computers in slowly becoming an addict.

Mrs. Scouser_In_Exile: "I can't believe you wasted an enitre evening playing games!"

Scouser_In_Exile: "And what amazing advances in science did you discover this evening, my sweet?"

Mrs. Scouser_In_Exile: "Eh? None. I was watching that boxed set of Sex In The City I borrowed. What's your point?"

Familiar to anyone?

I find that most people treat games, TV, books etc as pastimes rather than as proper interests. So if golf is their interest, they might kill some time the evening before they go golfing with a book or a game.

Since they don't perceive these to be proper interests, they will think anyone who do is a bit weird. As books and movies (and music) are more established parts of our culture, most people will more readily accept that you view them as interests. Most people will have no problem with me spending an entire Saturday reading Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, whereas they will most definitely think I've wasted a day if I told them I had spent the day playing GTA.

I just might agree with them, actually...

My Mum said I 'have more money than sense' when I went out and bought a PS2 the other day.

Even after explaining to her that it is actually different from a GC and Xbox.

Bless her.

Try explaining to your Dad that you've just bought a second Gamecube. From Japan.

"So... you've got a Gamecube... from England, and another bloody Gamecube, but from Japan."

I did of course, get the "more money than sense" line thrown at me, as well as several shakes of the head, and numerous long exhaling sighs.

Emjay, I got exactly the same when I bought my Spice Orange GameCube!

"So whats this you've bought? Oh, another console. Are you selling your old one then?"

"Erm....no"

"But you've got two now, whats the point?"

"Well, this orange one is from Japan, I can play all my Japanese... Oh forget it."

"You spend too much on games? You should spend more on other things"

"Like?"

"Erm, clothes"

"I've already got all the clothes I need though"

I think you get the jist of it. Saying that, my parents seem to have gotten around the fact that I will always play games and it is my hobby, as strange as it may seem to non-gamers. I like buying games and collecting them, especially rare ones etc. I'm sure loads of people on here feel the same! I've always loved games since I first opened my Sega Master System I on Christmas Day back then, ever since Alex The Kidd, I knew I'd play games forever.

My Mum said I 'have more money than sense' when I went out and bought a PS2 the other day.

Even after explaining to her that it is actually different from a GC and Xbox.

Bless her.

Try explaining to your Dad that you've just bought a second Gamecube. From Japan.

"So... you've got a Gamecube... from England, and another bloody Gamecube, but from Japan."

I did of course, get the "more money than sense" line thrown at me, as well as several shakes of the head, and numerous long exhaling sighs.

But that self same person could have three different sets of golf drivers, a wardrobe full of garish golf clothes and spend 10 hours a week just trying to get a 24 handicap!

Or he could ne a military modeller buying up old Airfix kits but then modelling his own cusomised versions of WWII tanks and putting them in display cabinets in the spare room.

Or he may be an 'Exec Jet' spotter, busily recording which personality or other has just flown into Luton Airport in their Learjet reference number blah blah blah.

Or he could fanatically have supported Northampton Town since 1947/8 season and have every match day prograame and have seen all home and away games, apart from one Saturday in 1952 when he was struck by lightening.

Or he could be writing a novel and is in fact on his 61st book, his previous 60 having been rejected out of hand but every publisher under the sun as complete bollocks.