PS+ September: Grow Home (PS4); Teslagrad (PS3/PS4); Twisted Metal (PS3); Xeodrifter, Super Time Force (Vita/PS4); La-Mulana EX (Vita)

toythatkills

Grow Home is lovely, Teslagrad is apparently lovely, La Mulana is balls hard, Super Time Force Ultra is lovely (but frequently misunderstood - it's really a puzzler, not a pure run 'n' gun), I don't know Xeodrifter and Twisted Metal is Twisted Metal.

Not a bad month in all, though I'm sure the retail games only crowd will be less pleased.

Super Time Force! I was a bit miffed when the Games with Gold release turned out to be for Xbone, so this is great news. :D

I've heard lots of good things about La-Mulana but I can't play Metroid games for shit, so we'll see how that goes. :P

... thought Super Time Force was awful.

Same, but I'm willing to give it another go since I'll have the full version rather than the demo. As I say, I just didn't understand the game at all. It takes an incredibly simple concept that would be so much fun, then adds layer upon layer of complexity onto it to the point where it just felt unplayable. I seem to recall seven hour long cut-scenes with a terrible sense of humour also which left a kinda bad impression as well.

Working through La-Mulana at the moment and holy honey-dipped crunchy, if you like to solve puzzles and riddles this will take the cake. The things I had to do to get to what I think was the second boss were kind of nuts. Feels more Castlevania than Metroid, and not just because of the whip and the jump physics, but it's certainly scratching an itch.

There's also a really unfair tablet in-game that if read, shifts the game to hard mode instantly. What the actual hell.

Kind of sad that Zombie Vikings didn't win as their previous game Stick It to the Man was utterly brilliant.

Same, but I'm willing to give it another go since I'll have the full version rather than the demo. As I say, I just didn't understand the game at all. It takes an incredibly simple concept that would be so much fun, then adds layer upon layer of complexity onto it to the point where it just felt unplayable. I seem to recall seven hour long cut-scenes with a terrible sense of humour also which left a kinda bad impression as well.

I bought it on xbox one when it came out as the mechanics sounded interesting, unfortunately they weren't.

It was well written and funny, but playing it was a bit of a chore the longer it went on and it's not even a long game.

I completed it in one sitting, so I didn't really get that feeling. Just enjoyed it immensely.

I completed it in one sitting, so I didn't really get that feeling. Just enjoyed it immensely.

I completed SITTM it in two short sessions and thought it was great.

Teslagrad, however, doesn't quite live up to the hype. It's not bad by any means but it starts off incredibly well, then has hiccups where the physics are just mental at times making solving puzzles later in the game frustrating every now and then. It's only a few hours long though and worth a play through despite a few broken bits.

Stick it to the Man really didn't do it for me. It was funny, but so over-written that to get to a laugh you had to listen through a two-minute long speech while standing there doing nothing. Too many puzzles relied on the "stick random stuff to random stuff and see what happens" mechanic. The enemies were just shit and have no place whatsoever in a puzzle game. Controls were awkward.

Overall the pace of it was just so glacial that I got really bored of it and not even the promise of some funny jokes was enough to make me like it. I'm pretty sure I didn't even finish it, just got right to the end and couldn't be bothered any more.