PS+ September: Grow Home (PS4); Teslagrad (PS3/PS4); Twisted Metal (PS3); Xeodrifter, Super Time Force (Vita/PS4); La-Mulana EX (Vita)

toythatkills

I'll play the Phantom Pain when somebody convinces me that they've fixed the awful controls, rubbish stealth, tedious writing and creepy sexualisation of the previous games (or at least a few of said issues); until then, I'm planning to spend my time overdosing on this month's metroidvanias :wub:

I'll play the Phantom Pain when somebody convinces me that they've fixed the awful controls, rubbish stealth, tedious writing and creepy sexualisation of the previous games (or at least a few of said issues); until then, I'm planning to spend my time overdosing on this month's metroidvanias :wub:

the world must be ending because i agree, i dont like mgs at all for those reasons

Dare you to say that in the MGS V thread!

I'm happy to be the bearer of odd opinions, but I don't just wander into love-in threads and start shitting on games I haven't even played, and I wouldn't trust the thread at this stage to be a helpful source of advice re: the game having fixed (what I perceive to be) the problems of its predecessors; maybe in a month or two I'll mooch in and ask.

the world must be ending because i agree, i dont like mgs at all for those reasons

You forget that our taste in games is often alike - we were both big supporters of Bioshock back in the day, and we both are fans of the EDF games, for example (though we stand on opposite sides of the fence when it comes to heavily negative reviews of said game).

Xeo Drifter makes Shovel Knight look like a walk in the park. Pretty unforgiving!

Edit. Btw Wiper I wasn't being entirely serious, but seeing as you've brought it up I think it's only fair to say that MGS V is a really solid (excuse the pun) experience. From the controls to the stealth. Not sure what your problems with GZ were exactly, but apart from Splinter Cell there's not really much to compare it to. The depth and breadth of its gameplay systems goes way beyond other, simpler third person action games.

Btw Wiper I wasn't being entirely serious, but seeing as you've brought it up I think it's only fair to say that MGS V is a really solid (excuse the pun) experience. From the controls to the stealth. Not sure what your problems with GZ were exactly, but apart from Splinter Cell there's not really much to compare it to. The depth and breadth of its gameplay systems goes way beyond other, simpler third person action games.

Regarding comparisons, the thing is that I love stealth games (though I couldn't stand the Splinter Cell games, until the surprisingly enjoyable Conviction at least, as they always felt weirdly restrictive in their stealth, so they certainly aren't what I'd be comparing MGS to). For me the points of comparison are pure stealth games like (the first three) Thief titles, the sandbox subterfuge of Hitman: Blood Money, or the action-stealth of Deus Ex (and Human Revolution) or Dishonored. The open environment to explore and sneak through sounded ideal - exactly the same sort of open approach to stealth that I love in the above games - but the controls just refuse to click with me; the way they sprawl over every single button of the pad, using some buttons for multiple actions, just makes it feel really cumbersome to me; the lack of any friendly tutorial for the controls probably didn't help here.

There might be a lovely game under there, but after a few times being discovered and restarting because I couldn't remember how to duck, or how to run, or know how to vault over a wall, and I just gave up on it. It being free on PS+, and me only just having a PS4 and so a massive backlog of other games, probably helped me to give up on it quickly of course.

Hmmmm. I thought I'd give Grow Home a try and it keeps freezing every 30 seconds or so for 5 seconds at a time. Not sure if it's because it's saying I can't connect to server or if it's another PS+ game rushed out unfinished.

I came here just to see if anyone else had that problem. It's making it a pretty tough game to like when it seems a bit broken.

Fed up of the constant stream of samey retro style platformers that PS+ constantly shits out. It's like we're getting the same game over and over again.

Fed up of the constant stream of samey retro style platformers that PS+ constantly shits out. It's like we're getting the same game over and over again.

Grow Home and STFU don't fit that description at all. The latter is retro, but more of a run and gun game crossed with a puzzle game. That and you got games like Ground Zeroes, Rocket League, The Swapper, Driveclub, First Light and others in recent months, so that criticism is a bit overblown.

I see what you did there but a little variety in genres wouldn't go amiss.

Super Time Force Ultra and La-Mulana are both "2D platformers" but if you think they're alike then you're mental. Just because a game's 2D doesn't mean it's the same as all the other 2D games.

But hey, you've got Twisted Metal to play.

Super Time Force Ultra and La-Mulana are both "2D platformers" but if you think they're alike then you're mental. Just because a game's 2D doesn't mean it's the same as all the other 2D games.

But hey, you've got Twisted Metal to play.

You're just using your arrogance and superiority complex to make things up now - I likely wouldn't play Twisted Metal for more than five minutes even if I did have a PS3. I have no issue with 2D (Pixeljunk Shooter is one of my favourite Plus games that I have fully completed twice) but I do have an issue with the same retro style and constant platformers being the majority of PS+ releases. It's not like every game in the 8/16 bit days was a platformer, where's the variety?