PS+ September: Grow Home (PS4); Teslagrad (PS3/PS4); Twisted Metal (PS3); Xeodrifter, Super Time Force (Vita/PS4); La-Mulana EX (Vita)

toythatkills

I'm not feeling Grow Home for the same reasons. It's needlessly complicated. You should just stick to whatever surface you're on. Constant falling down just isn't fun or challenging.

The other games are all great this month, well I haven't bothered with Twisted Metal. [

Gave Super Time Force Ultra another go, having tried the demo on Xbox 360 way back. It's still not clicking and I'm enjoying it about as little as I did back then. My feelings haven't really changed at all, it still feels like a game which was amazing until they added all these stupid layers of complexity onto it and now it's too busy and complicated for me to enjoy.

The Hell-a-deck levels sound interesting, sound like a game I'd actually enjoy, but since I have no idea how to access them I just watched the last one on Youtube to see what they build to - they build to a total mess which looks about as much fun as I had with the main game.

It's also overwritten as fuck, man, I just wanted the intro to end so badly and it goes on forever.

Anyway, it's a shame. There's a PSP game which does this time-travel-clone thing so well, and it should work brilliantly in a 2D side-scroller but it's such a mess of needless mechanics that it's too awkward and hard to follow the action.

I've only played a little of Grow Home; I got about 40 lovely crystals and wandered a few caves at the mushroom bit but I really love its gentle exploration and slowly clawing my way around the underside of huge rock surfaces. The scale of it all is very pretty too. A shame about the lack of vsync though; it's incredibly distracting.

I really dig STFU. Feels damn good when the time mechanic really clicks and you're basically playing co-op with yourself with over a dozen characters to wreck everything in your path. Little shield dude guy is particulalry good. Probably my favourite Plus freebie since Resogun.

Beat Xeodrifter now, great little game. As mentioned, it's only a couple of hours long but it feels like the perfect length for it. You're never far away from another upgrade so the pace is really quick. It's really bloody harsh with its checkpoints and there's a pretty annoying bug where you can get attacked by an invisible threat but I enjoyed it a lot.

Still haven't been brave enough to start La-Mulana EX so at the moment Xeodrifter is my pick of the bunch this month.

I really enjoyed Grow Home more than yet more platformers :yawn:

Super Time Force is good from what I played of it but XeoDrifter just seemed like a poor megaman/ metroid rip off and Teslagrad, while looking quite nice just seemed all over the place in tone and design, first level is a weird chase bit that reminded me of Valiant Hearts a bit with the russkies attacking and then it becomes a puzzley thing with the gloves and then the zipping about boots with weird black enemy things all of a sudden. All without any clear idea as to what was going on, why I was doing any of it or anything.

If anything, I'm getting hugely bored of platformers, which was the only reason Grow Home enamoured me so much. BUD does control a bit like Octodad without the humour but the fact that I could grow that weird beanstalk whereever I wanted was just fascinating for an old git like me and doing huge skydives from the stratosphere was actually quite amusing rather than a pain if I fell off or ran out of drifty flower things.

Teslagrad, while looking quite nice just seemed all over the place in tone and design, first level is a weird chase bit that reminded me of Valiant Hearts a bit with the russkies attacking and then it becomes a puzzley thing with the gloves and then the zipping about boots with weird black enemy things all of a sudden. All without any clear idea as to what was going on, why I was doing any of it or anything.

I found the same, and gave up after an hour or so in the assumption that it wasn't going to suddenly find focus. Checkpointing seemed poorly judged as well.

I found the same, and gave up after an hour or so in the assumption that it wasn't going to suddenly find focus. Checkpointing seemed poorly judged as well.

Yeah it looks nice and I'll probably go back to it in that it's 'free' but it didn't exactly grab me but then I was chatting with a mate about the prevalence of platformers these days and perhaps it's because of having played millions of them in the 90's that unless it's got a particularly novel hook, one of my first responses is often 'well it's not even as good as Aladdin, or Puggsley's adventure, let alone a Mario game" so I'm probably a bit spoiled in regards to platformers.

The save file for Xeodrifter is 3.15MB. I was under the impression that the minimum save file size the PS4 allowed was 10.49MB, since every other game I've played has been at least that, and usually a multiple of it. All these years people have been struggling with online storage and developers have just been bullshitting them!

Now Sony have upped the online storage limit it turns out it could have been a non-issue all along.