1 hour ago, ashmatuk said:

Both are on sale at the moment:

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair is now £19.99

Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space is now £14.99

the DLC is 40% off too

41 minutes ago, King A said:

I caved and got 4.1. 

It's fucking fantastic.

Where were you 2 years ago, of course it is. EDF is like game heroin, once you've taken it, all other "action" games seem tame.

I'm tempted myself at 19.99, but it would be my third ownership of EDF 2025, I've ground the game on ps3 and 360, I dont think I can face starting again without all my stuff when I need to be playing other games. For anyone without it, or who missed 2025, they should be all over this.

6 minutes ago, angel said:

Where were you 2 years ago, of course it is. EDF is like game heroin, once you've taken it, all other "action" games seem tame.

I had 2017 on the 360, and I had the VITA version a few years ago too.

I only got a PS4 last month, didn't know this was out until the other day.

The vita version of 2017 is 4 quid apparantly, what a steal.

I farmed the fuck out of 2025 on 360, my wing diver has 20,000 health and she only goes up 1 for every 5 drops, so thats 100,000 pickups with her alone.  I can't do that again.

On 22/04/2016 at 9:51 AM, SharkyOB said:

I've always been curious about these games but I've never played one.  Seeing the sale price in the thread convinced me to take the plunge though, thanks guys!

Have you played this quite a bit then angel?

Oh just a wee bit. Ive posted a few times in the main 2025 thread how I play it, and how I recommend to play it, well worth a look if youre new to it. The gist of it is to farm level 3 and 4 on normal, hard, inferno etc with low health but you earn high end weapons quickly.

I played through to level 19 on normal with my flying lady. Got some nice low level weapons. Played through the first 3 levels on hard a few times and got some far, far, far higher level weapons. Amazing scenes.

I've just been playing EDF2 and 2017 on my Vita. Fucking lovely. 2017 has the best engine, all the squad chatter and the classic EDF plot. From what I can gather EDF2 has Godzillas so that makes them about even :)

God damn it flub, I forgot about easy game recording, as well as the 1080p native, and using the lovely dual shock 4.  Im going to have to bloody buy it. Not even kidding, my 3rd copy of it.   Gahhhh.    Thats the shit im talking about though, a super weak wing diver with a beefy weapon. Wait til you see the 6 plasma launcher fired into a cluster of spiders at the bottom of a pit.  Pure carnage.

I will be within the next few days, gota clear this cod 2xp weekend and then im purchasing EDF.  My pal is itching for me to play dark souls, starfox is sat here next to me, and yet i need to go into EDF. 

So yes, in a day or so, im up for some online.

So I bought 4.1 for ps4 tonight. Its tiny, only 6gb. Anyway, few observations. Its sharper in lovely native 1080p, load times are faster than last gen versions, seems to contain the expansion packs for the original, but removing a few padding levels. Am guessing it might be a remix best of 2015 + expansions which is good. So I put wing diver straight on, fixed her outfit colour, screen shake off, vibrate off, reconfigure buttons and away. Took her into level 2 on normal, then hard, then again on hardest where I got a sweet double plasma and a level 40 LAZR. Then put level 2 on inferno and after a practice go (ie: I died), beat that with my 180 armour diver, and managed to get some decent kit after a few runs.

That's the template for anyone new, or mine anyway, few goes on hardest to get the kit then play on inferno, stay back, keep your squad alive, watch the radar closely because if they get close you're dead. Oh and dont shoot the plasma into floor or your own men who love to run past you, thats instant death. If you make it out alive too with your low health you get the rewards. Got some level 50 gear within an hour of starting. And handily with the ps4, I can record me doing it.

Thats the point though, its fun and exciting trying to escape inferno levels early on, and after a few hours farming you have a monstrous arsenal of killer guns to take into normal. It makes the game. Watch my vid, it only took an hour total to reach that point.

Normal is pointless, the drops are all level 0 guns that arent worth having, if you dont fancy inferno at least do level 2 on hardest. Its a straight street with only 2 waves to beat, its a doddle.

Surely, this - like 2017 - is kinda "meant" to be played from Easy up to inferno progressively? Your characters is constantly levelling and getting new stuff and the game is constantly getting more challenging. It adds re-playability. 

The idea of farming early on to get high level weapons then try to blast through the hardest mode of the game is ... interesting and sure an alternative way to play but I wouldn't have a totally dogmatic attitude to that being the only way to play the game. 

I never said its the only way to play, it's my only way.  Your character isnt 'constantly levelling' on normal, you dont get a single good weapon on normal, the EDF design template is based on replaying a known level on a harder setting. Besides, there are 100 levels in 4.1 and thats before the expansions. There are 4 characters.  So thats 5 difficulties on top, to be generous and rule out easy we'll say 4. Lets do the maths, like that annoying car advert says..

100 x 4 x 4 = 1600 levels to beat, and thats assuming a 1 try to 1 success ratio, which doesnt happen on later levels at all. So it becomes a grind.  On the 360 my wing diver has 20,000 health with every single weapon and she still cant complete certain inferno levels on her own without a rough time of it, never mind the super hard expansion stuff. Playing all 100 levels on easy mode alone will take ages, and earn basically nowt, pretty much the same on normal. For a totally new person, I would suggest ramping up level 2 to hard and farming it 5 times or so, that'll only take an hour at most. Then do it on hardest.  Give yourself some level 30-40 weapons, and then start progressing the game on hard mode. Its enough of a challenge when faced with a field full of hectors, nevermind having a level 4 gun that takes 20 shots to knock one of them out.

You could just stick to normal for 100 levels but you'll never earn anything useful, the only way to get effective weapons for a difficulty is to replay earlier missions on the next notch up, ie: weapons to cope well on normal are earned on hard, and so on. So yeah, to give yourself a more fun time playing normal or hard, farm level 2 a wee bit on hard or hardest. Believe me you'll need it later on when 50 web slinging spiders are chasing you down with no corners to hide round, or the stinging wasps are pelting you with slicing death from above.

Here's how the weapon level drops work.  You can see that on easy and normal, the first 4 levels give you absolutely nothing of any value, and even playing on hard youre only looking at drops between level 8 and 20, with the higher end of those being rare. Playing the easiest, shortest level in the game, spreading disaster, on hard a few times for your level 15 drops, then on hardest for your monstrous 0-45 drops is the best way to do it, with no shadow of a doubt. The game is so huge, that pottering around easy and normal for 20 hours is the most boring aspect of it, the way to go is get some decent gear by following this guide from the early levels, then enjoy plowing your way through the rest.   And..if you get bored of going through in order, pop back to level 2 on hardest some more, or even inferno. Its the way to go, it really is. If there was ever a game I know how to play to its fullest its EDF.

edfguns1.png

Here's a cheeky one for you all, me farming the remake of the infamous crimson level, mission 27 on inferno, using my lowly day-old wing diver. All red and purple biting ants, nothing else.  Find a magical safe spot on a hard to find rare tree you can stand on, pop yourself aboard and teach those ants a lesson or two about the EDF, and maybe sing them a song while you're at it.

In case anyone wonders about the end, I leave some orange boxes because theyre no more special than easy level ones - long as you get the green weapon drops thats fine. I hop around a bit to bait the final ant out of the way, because you have to keep one alive to gather the stuff, and one bite will kill me as he's still super dangerous.

skipping easy and normal is certainly a solid way to play,but i rarely felt the need to farm much for higher level weapons on a hard or hardest playthrough, unless you are particularly unlucky with the drops on the early levels.More often that not i found you would end up with something overpowered that made long stretches too easy if i farmed too much.