Earth Defence Force for PS4 and Vita confirmed for Europe

SMD

I like the choice myself, if its too easy you can notch your guns down or move up a setting, but it its too hard youre stuck. Its just such insane action though there is no ceiling on it, it is never, ever easy, even 200 hours in you can find a challenge. I just watched my own video up there, its quite hypnotic.

This is corking online, if anyone wants a hand getting some weapons, im farming level 81 on inferno and its not that hard really. Already rocking the idunn level 90 and some level 80 bits and bobs, that stuff took me months on 360.

Love this game. The whole vibe of it is just like amazing sci fi, the art, the design, the giant attack ships hoving into view, its just too good. Farming inferno level 81 seems to be the way. Time lapsed after the first minute to make it more fun to watch.

• 2 months later...

Excellent news! Now that is a game so nice, I'll gladly buy it twice :D Well, thrice actually - I already had EDF4 on PS3 before I bought the far superior 4.1 on PS4 :)

I really hope they will also bring EDF 2017 to Steam if this does well!

Edit: the Steam version has split-screen!

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Excellent news! Now that is a game so nice, I'll gladly buy it twice :D Well, thrice actually - I already had EDF4 on PS3 before I bought the far superior 4.1 on PS4 :)

I really hope they will also bring EDF 2017 to Steam if this does well!

Edit: the Steam version has split-screen!

I've been wanting to play 4.1 for ages after getting 2025 on PS3, but after that Steam DB leak have been holding off.  Nearly bought it during the last PS4 sale but glad I held off for once! :) 

£21 on steam..

Though I think I'm finally burnt out on it - having ploughed a LOT of hours into the 360 and PS4 versions..

User reviews all seem to be very happy with the performance of the PC port though.. There's just not much in the way of graphics options, just res and AA.. Only bug seems to be that your desktop res is the res it will output the game at.. so for 4k you'll need your desktop setting at that too..

wow30tjos.gif 
insta016.gif

wow6ymk9o.gif

15 hours ago, angel said:

EDF is a game that should start out at 60fps and then end up at 30fps until there are only a few enemies left.

I'm playing in 3D, 30-60fps normally, hit 13fps at one point.

This is one of those games that is great to play whilst watching stuff on a second screen.

22 hours ago, MDY said:

£21 on steam..

Though I think I'm finally burnt out on it - having ploughed a LOT of hours into the 360 and PS4 versions..

Having said this (and watched some PC videos on YouTube) I then went and played the PS4 version again all evening.. 

bMyNHB8.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/07/2016 at 09:39, angel said:

EDF is a game that should start out at 60fps and then end up at 30fps until there are only a few enemies left.

True - high framerates are a sign that you failed to put enough enemies in the play area. :)

I never picked up 4.1 but enjoyed my time with vanilla 2025 on 360 - the co-op stuff was great. :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by the recent appearance on Steam, and then the appearance of this thread, I bought Shadow of New Despair for the PS4, which arrived yesterday. I only played the first mission, and it was like a wave of nostalgia hit me. Or rather charged at me, picked me up in its mandibles, and shook me around for a bit. I hadn't forgotten how much I loved EDF 2017, but I think that I had at least partially forgotten the sheer joy of playing something so utterly secure in its own ridiculousness. Insect Armageddon was fun in co-op, but felt a bit off. 2025 was perfect, but for whatever reason I only got halfway through on the 360. I'd been putting off getting the PS4 version.

I now have no idea why I had been putting it off. It's glorious! I don't get people who dislike it. I don't get people who aren't singing the EDF song in their head. I don't get why games have to be all grimdark, serious, realistic, and stale. EDF reminds me WHY I play these bloody things in the first place! I may have to buy a second copy to give to my son so we can play online. Hell, I may have to buy a couple of copies, so I can form an EDF squad, fight EDF battles, and create EDF fan-fiction. (This would mean finding some friends, but ... technicalities.)

I'm at work, but I want to be at home. Tonight, I'll get in, and say to my girlfriend "I'll be killing giant ants. If anyone needs me ... tough."

Destroy the Shield Bears!!!!

this pub made me chuckle earlier, expecting a big silver foot to come crashing through it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.95888,-3.2098545,3a,75y,140.91h,88.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVTrWLntx9K4JM7ASOSBDHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Rattling through as a Wing Diver now, some of their guns are hilariously powerful.

D3 are announcing a new project on the day of the Sony conference..

Approx 2 day countdown at time of posting:

https://www.d3p.co.jp/countdown2016/

Apparently the source code of the countdown.js file on the website contained the following reference, before it was removed:

’https://www.d3p.co.jp/edf5/’:new Array(‘2016/9/13 18:00:00′,’2016/12/31 23:59:59’),

EDIT - the timer has run down and they've announced a couple of new titles a Schoolgirls vs Zombies thing and a PS VR game.. but there is one listed TBA at they Tokyo Games Show also.. fingers crossed for EDF 5 still..

I predicted this a few days back in the PlayStation meeting thread! :D

On 5-9-2016 at 16:30, Mr. Gerbik said:

Red Dead 3, Tenchu Reboot, more footage of dat new Spidey game, Demon's Souls Resoul'd, and EDF 5 plz! /wishlist

Mark my words, that Tenchu reboot and Demon's Soul's Resoul'd will also happen :D:omg:  :omg: 

45 minutes ago, gingerling said:

Is EDF 2 on the Vita a good place to start if I've never played any game within the series?

It's currently £6.99 on PSN.

Not sure. It's a port of the PS2 game so it might feel a little old. I would recommend picking up EDF 2017 Portable as your starting point. Really popular online still and probably cheaper than EDF2.

Shield Bears

You can try and lure baddies out of the bubble but I'd probably just run in and blow them away, use a shotgun on the hectors and shield bears themselves. If there are airstrikes (the airforce has honour too!) run away or get inside the shield bubble. Once you defeat all the initial baddies another shield bear appears in the top right of the map, you want to try and kill him before he links up with the new hectors.

16 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Not sure. It's a port of the PS2 game so it might feel a little old. I would recommend picking up EDF 2017 Portable as your starting point. Really popular online still and probably cheaper than EDF2.

Disagree, EDF portable is very rough looking on a TV and nowhere near as nice as the 360 version, EDF2 is great but that's for later when you want to see the weird and interesting older stuff. 4.1 is by far the best start point, pick ranger or wing diver and play on a TV.