Earth Defence Force for PS4 and Vita confirmed for Europe

SMD

I should probably elaborate a bit more..

I've played through up to mission 15 now, and it's really ramped up since the introduction of the mothership things. I love the clean simplicity of it all - I find many current gen games have a rather cluttered look to them where this has a pure arcadey look about it, especially as it's an older game converted into HD. But that isn't to say it isn't impressive - far from it. The scale and number of enemies on screen produces more onscreen spectacle than I have ever seen. And more importantly it's fun....I am grinning all the way through it. I am so used to a rocket launcher being a limited ammo luxury in games but here it causes mayhem. I destroyed a skyscraper that I was convinced was skybox. And it's funny - the dialog, the chanting, the over the top nature of it all. And it keeps ramping up, I just finished a level that felt part Starship Troopers, part Space Harrier. And that's fine with me. People say it's so bad it's good, but judged within the context of what it's trying to achieve, I'd say it's pretty good.

Apologies for the rambling and excitable nature of this post...It's kinda how I feel whilst playing.

Oh, and....EDF! EDF! EDF! etc

Pick this up the other day for £7.99 - I didn't realise it's EDF2025 jazzed up a bit. At first I was a bit gutted about it, but playing it further you can tell it's just much much smoother and the load times have been reduced massively. Really, really enjoying it. I swear there are some new (stupid) dialogue bits from your fellow soldiers as well.

A question about the difficulty curve..

I've read a lot about playing earlier missions on higher difficulties to farm better weapons, with the intention of using better weapons on the normal difficulty.

Is this the expected approach of the game? Or can you progress all the way through normal without ever touching the higher difficulties?

41 minutes ago, hombre_hompson said:

I've read a lot about playing earlier missions on higher difficulties to farm better weapons, with the intention of using better weapons on the normal difficulty.

Is this the expected approach of the game? Or can you progress all the way through normal without ever touching the higher difficulties?

You can progress through on Normal but you would probably still need to go back and grind up some weapon drops and armour.  If you do play on higher difficulty and unlock new weapons I think you can put restrictions on to the single player levels that will let you know what the highest level weapon you should have by each stage and puts on an armour cap. So if you find it's too easy you can make them challenging again. If you can't you can obviously limit yourself weapons wise.

If you play co-op the levels are always limited in this way until you complete something like 70% of the co-op campaign. That includes all difficulties and classes!

1 hour ago, hombre_hompson said:

Its entirely your own choice, that's the beauty of it.

Thanks for the headsup about the PS+ sale, bought for a fair price!

I absolutely loved the EDF I played on the PS2, there was something so unique about firing a salvo of homing rockets at targets literally miles away, or looking up and seeing the sky jammed with shiny UFOs. I never bought into the "so bad it's good" irony either, it was just a great game full stop.

Looking forward to getting into this version.

• 2 weeks later...

Its back on sale again at the moment. I see this has local 2 player co-op.

Has anyone played the PC version? Any major differences between the versions? I'm considering whether its worth getting this on Steam or PS4. Currently its £20.99 on Steam or £7.99 with PS+ or £13.99 without.

Could also buy the physical PS4 version for £12 from CEX locally.

edit : Anyone with experience of local co-op on PC? I dont wanna end up with horrendous FPS if the PS4 can handle it ok.

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 15:00, angel said:

Its entirely your own choice, that's the beauty of it.

Yeah, I guess I'm wondering if it should be possible to play in purely a linear fashion. For example I'm now on mission 23 (Giant Robots) on Normal, having played through all the Normal levels sequentially, and I'm really struggling. Most of my weapons are in low single digits. So I am doing it wrong and should I be farming for better weapons, or do I just need to get better?

Still loving it though. Screenshots really don't do it justice.

well you're meant to farm, you're not going to go from 1 til the end without repeating levels, it expects you to pop back and get some health. The thing with EDF is no matter how strong you are there will always be another challenge, so you can't break it. My 360 save had 20,000 health, 100% wing diver weapon and there were still levels I couldnt do. The DLC level with the golden ants in eggs, on inferno that will tear you to shreds no matter what you have. So if I were you I would either do the 1st 5 levels on hard and see what you get, or farm some health. You wont ruin your experience in the slightest. Even if you felt you had done so, you just try and to level 23 on hard. You cannot break the game, so don't even worry about that.