IGNORED

Kingdom Hearts 3

BruceBruce

31 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I played about half of KH1 when it came out and nothing since. If I bought and played through KH2 would that be enough to get me up to speed for this new one?

It would get you so far. But bear in mind there are about 6 games between KH2 and KH3. I mean play KH2 by all means cos its great. But dont expect it to mean you will be fully equipped for KH3. There is bloody loads of stuff. Most of it nonsencial bollocks to be fair. Bare in mind that you will lose a lot of the nostalgia value if you go in stright to KH3

There's a "story so far" cinematic you can play in KH3 that does a pretty good job of explaining whats going on. But even then you will then go into the game and think "what the fuck"?

Best thing is to go in, and google anything you aren't sure of..

25 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I played about half of KH1 when it came out and nothing since. If I bought and played through KH2 would that be enough to get me up to speed for this new one?

They have a memories section in KH3 which basically gives you a summary of the story so far from all the games, inclusive of the ones on DS, PSP etc. 

17 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It would get you so far. But bear in mind there are about 6 games between KH2 and KH3. I mean play KH2 by all means cos its great. But dont expect it to mean you will be fully equipped for KH3. There is bloody loads of stuff. Most of it nonsencial bollocks to be fair. Bare in mind that you will lose a lot of the nostalgia value if you go in stright to KH3

There's a "story so far" cinematic you can play in KH3 that does a pretty good job of explaining whats going on. But even then you will then go into the game and think "what the fuck"?

Best thing is to go in, and google anything you aren't sure of..

That's why I'd rather play 2 first than rely on a summary video and go straight to 3, but it sounds as it the best thing is to do both.

This is still feeling a bit of a letdown so far- there are quite a few boss battles where you don’t really feel in control, and victory is just down to luck and persistence rather than skill. Control in some of these feels muddled, and since you have to attack a lot of the big enemies in mid air, it feels like you’re flailing around.  I haven’t completed many of those feeling like it was down to my ability. Also the airstepping mechanic where you zip to an object in midair is total rubbish, especially when you combine that with boss battles.

The early environments feel really boxy and inorganic too- it actually feels like a remastered last gen game than something you’d expect to come out now. They’re crisp and clean, but it feels like you’re in a sterile game rather than an imaginative yet real environment. One of the reviews I read said the game made the reviewer more glad he’s got a 4K TV for this than Red Dead Redemption 2, and so far that comment just feels laughable.

Conversely I’m really enjoying it . It’s an evolution of KH2 which I am absolutely fine with ..

It looks great, I like how they have kept the spirit of the KH games . but its no RDR 2 visually . That’s crazy talk .

I was watching a streamer last night doing the pirates of carribean, it looked tedious as fuck. I imagine playing was horrendous. 

on a side note the graphics are utterly amazing. Seeing ultra realistic in POTC then going to cartoony, they’ve blown it out of the park. Guess it’s 13 years of polish. 

Just completed the second world, & TBH I'm finding the Piling on of Gameplay systems a little overwhelming & confusing.  At one point, I had 3 different Formchanges/Finishers/Attractions queued up on the Triangle button but no idea how or if I was supposed to be able to switch between them.  I hope it's just me not understanding the systems rather than them being badly designed however.

I really like the Hidden Mick... err, I mean 'Lucky Emblems', as it encourages thorough exploration of the worlds, & the worlds lend themselves well to this as they have so much more detail.

Oh, & 'Little Chef'.  Nice. ^_^

I like the new Gummi Ship sections.  Not just Starfox-style corridors but an actual region of space to explore & with things to find (I imagine you travel to other regions later), & still with the substantial ship-customization options of the previous game, but also the same slightly cumbersome editor.

On the story side, I like how the game is finally going 'Oh, remember all those plot threads we left all over the place from the Side-Games?  Yeah, we really need to tie those up."  Much more engaging.

So, yeah, so far so good, And although 2 new worlds have opened up for me to choose from, I think I'm going to backtrack a bit as I try to get to grips with the multiple layers of the combat system.

You can use the left trigger to switch between those different active commands that you activate with y or whatever ps4 controller button.

Yeah it does hit you with a lot of stuff early on- I keep forgetting I have focus mode, and also links now too. I’m not sure when/why you’d use a link over individual magic spells though, since it uses up all your magic bar?

I'm with Jim Sterling's review on this one. I'm really enjoying the gameplay sections where you get to hang out with Woody and Buzz Lightyear in lavishly recreated locations, but the experience is really soured when it all comes to a screeching halt and some wanker in S&M gear with ludicrous hair walks in and monologues about light and darkeness and nobodies and xenahort and zzzzzzzzzzz until it lets you go back to running around.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't exactly setting the world alight is it.

I got to the same point I always get to in KH games (about an hour or 2 in) which is that stupid town (twilight town?) where you don't have a clue what to do next.

I gave up and haven't gone back to it since (same as KH2 then).

You'd think I would learn!

11 hours ago, Zero9X said:

I don't think I've ever played a game so far up its own arse than this one. Thank God I can't remember what happened in the first two games. I don't think I've ever wanted to skip cutscenes so bad since this one.

They had a thread on Resetera where lots of people with anime avatars were seriously arguing that the next Kingdom Hearts should remove all traces of Disney and just be Nomura's mastubatory haircuts and zips nightmares. Mentalists!

Ditto. It's lushly put together and the worlds have lots of detail to look at but not a huge amount to do. The combat is so overdone that it largely seems to do itself. The Game and Watch things are awesome though and some of the other minigames are enjoyable.

The end is so overburdened though. There are multiple enemy fights where beating one leads to a cutscene where the others just disappear whilst some traditional emo KH dialogue goes on. Really felt like they were phoning in the tying up loose ends there.

It is a really good game but has done nothing to fix the flaws and annoyances of the earlier titles. 

I've just given up on the second game after playing the first. I was aiming to overload on Kingdom Hearts and put off buying the third and it feels like it has worked. From what I'm reading here KH3 is more of the same? Overwrought combat system coupled with tedious exposition heavy cutscenes delivered by characterless spiky haired twats in black?

Long meandering rant enclosed:

Spoiler

I want to like it because it's so colourful and appealing on the surface but then it's so obtuse in some ways. It starts out ok like some delicious chocolate: Here's a simple combat system, nicely animated, very sparkly. Look at these nice Disney characters, oh! here's some simple story element to drive you from A to B. Try this gummi ship section, isn't it sweet? A little bit of a palette cleanser, you can even customise your own ship if you like!

Then over time it's too much sugar feeling bloated with no real substance. The palette cleansing gummi routes have multiplied with each having their own sets of missions to complete tuned by typical Japanese inclinations to have a ranking system requiring real investment to finish with top marks. The combat system balloons to include Limits, Drives, Summons some of these things needing to be levelled up (with only the vaguest mentions of how to do so in some cases), you're constantly unlocking new abilities to add in to your repertoire but you don't ever feel like your distinctly activating them in most cases.

The initial charm starts to fade and the various worlds are just meagre simulacrums of their inspiration source (honestly when the Pirates of the Caribbean "believe in ghost stories... Youre in one" cutscene started I cringed so hard I practically turned inside out). It's the epitome of style over substance!

I was initially drawn in by the challenge and scope of completing it all and getting the secret ending but it just quickly felt like tedious busywork and the spell was broken.

On 14/02/2019 at 13:22, Ran said:

I've just given up on the second game after playing the first. I was aiming to overload on Kingdom Hearts and put off buying the third and it feels like it has worked. From what I'm reading here KH3 is more of the same? Overwrought combat system coupled with tedious exposition heavy cutscenes delivered by characterless spiky haired twats in black?

Long meandering rant enclosed:

Reveal hidden contents

I want to like it because it's so colourful and appealing on the surface but then it's so obtuse in some ways. It starts out ok like some delicious chocolate: Here's a simple combat system, nicely animated, very sparkly. Look at these nice Disney characters, oh! here's some simple story element to drive you from A to B. Try this gummi ship section, isn't it sweet? A little bit of a palette cleanser, you can even customise your own ship if you like!

Then over time it's too much sugar feeling bloated with no real substance. The palette cleansing gummi routes have multiplied with each having their own sets of missions to complete tuned by typical Japanese inclinations to have a ranking system requiring real investment to finish with top marks. The combat system balloons to include Limits, Drives, Summons some of these things needing to be levelled up (with only the vaguest mentions of how to do so in some cases), you're constantly unlocking new abilities to add in to your repertoire but you don't ever feel like your distinctly activating them in most cases.

The initial charm starts to fade and the various worlds are just meagre simulacrums of their inspiration source (honestly when the Pirates of the Caribbean "believe in ghost stories... Youre in one" cutscene started I cringed so hard I practically turned inside out). It's the epitome of style over substance!

I was initially drawn in by the challenge and scope of completing it all and getting the secret ending but it just quickly felt like tedious busywork and the spell was broken.

So you've played KH3 then.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this today on proud mode. It’s such a strange game. Just a random stream of thoughts for those who are interested.

The combat system is somewhat similar to the other games. For me, I never quite felt in control of the action. Sure, I beat all the bosses, but it always felt down to just simply pressing buttons and using pop up commands more than like analysing attack patterns. Even just doing simple combos seems to feel automated to a degree, and I’m not sure how much scope there is for ability level there.

It never really gets hard- there are only one or two boss fights towards the end of the game which showed any kind of hint of challenge. I definitely wouldn’t recommend playing it on anything less than proud mode. There are so many ways to avoid death, it’s untrue- healing spells, items, links, kupo coins, healing weapon effects etc.

The attractions are just insane. They feel like almost a cheat mode since they’re so powerful. Sure, you don’t have to use them, but why then are they in the game and what the hell have squeenix been doing for the last five years??? Certainly not balancing this.

It’s great having a new set of Disney worlds to explore, there’s a nice attention to detail level, and it’s smooth at 60 FPS. However, this attention to detail is a bit hit and miss- for example, all the Disney worlds get their own movie music, apart from Monsters Inc for some reason? And the graphics are a real mixed bag. It definitely feels like the first few worlds were built for last gen, with small areas and boxy geometry. It’s only the Pirates of the Caribbean and Big Hero 6 worlds that really show any glimmer of next gen.

And those last two worlds just appear out of nowhere. There’s no new realm of space for them, no explanation, just one minute they weren’t there, the next they are. There are lots of signs of the game being cut to pieces, including loading screens that hint at events that don’t happen.

The worlds themselves are great to inhabit, but the problem to me is that there just isn’t enough ‘game’ for them. There are less of these worlds than any other main KH game, and it’s only one visit to each. There’s no real reason to return, which is a real shame, as I’d happily have spent time going over the same environments a bit more. There’s not even any coliseum to battle in this time.

One returning world just gets mini games this time, and there are three. Only, they’re all just very slight variations on the same one? It’s funny how some parts of the game seem so sparse.

And the plot itself, although it’s nice to get closure, it loses any goodwill it gains by being incredibly self indulgent and including plot points which literally go nowhere and get forgotten about half way through, presumably to be picked up in the next game.

Overall, it’s an adequate experience, but just not really that satisfying to play. Everything from the plot to the gameplay and control scheme is old fashioned in all the wrong ways. I played it to see the ending, but the whole thing just felt a bit vapid and empty.

@Retroguy Almost totally agree. It is very much more Kingdom Hearts but, graphics aside, no idea what they've been doing for all these years. The worlds are mostly fun to explore but there are some crazy decisions about minigame content and repetition (Frozen Slider in particular). The Gummi Ship is a million times more enjoyable though. Not even sure about closure, tbh, as there are more questions than answers by the end of the game.

Would love to hear how it feels to a newcomer; don't think I would have stuck with the worst bits without having been committed to the series.

Yeah this is probably the most newcomer unfriendly game ever- it’s difficult enough to follow if you’ve played some of the other games and even watched recap videos lol

You’re right about the Gummi Ship sections being more fun to play, but there’s no reason to really do any of it other than literally driving to the other worlds. I never once bothered to use any of the blocks to build my own ship, or use any of the new ships I unlocked by completing goals, so it kinda feels like there’s no point. I think they should have made the bosses that guard the new worlds much harder.

It’s like they put all this stuff in the game without thinking why they were doing it. Does kinda feel like after five years, someone at Squeenix just though ‘yeah, this isn’t gonna get any better now, let’s just release it’.

• 2 weeks later...

Still making my way through this, & I'm finding it enjoyable to explore the levels, looking for hidden treasures & emblems, & upgrading my Gummi Ship to be more badass (it looks a little like a Tie-Fighter now ^_^ )...until I reached the Frozen level. :(

I didn't much like it as it felt 'off' in a way that the other worlds didn't, & was trying to put into words exactly why that was, but IMO this video does a great job of doing so & I'm also on board with its explanation as to why.  Their theory of what the level was supposed to be was awesome, & IMO it's a real shame that this wasn't the version of this world & character we got.

Finished the Pirates of the Caribbean World, & I was impressed with how good it looked.  Seeing Sora, Donald & Goofy rendered in the more realistic Pirates style was highly impressive, even with with their faces & clothing looking dirtier & 'grittier' than they do in other worlds.  As for the Story though... I have to admit, I don't really care for the Pirates films.  I've only seen the first, so when the Trio were like 'what's going on?' I was there with them, but just as in the Frozen & Tangled Worlds, I got the distinct sense that they were being kept at arms length so that the plot could happen...

...until I got let loose on the sea with my own ship.  ^_^

That part was absolutely fantastic.  I got to explore the seas & islands, unencumbered by whatever was going on with the movie plot, & discovered secrets & treasures all while engaging in ship-to-ship combat with Heartless vessels that I could take down with cannons or the ships unique powers.  It's not a large area, & it doesn't take too long to find enough of the 'items' to fully upgrade your ship, but that meant that it didn't outstay it's welcome & when I finally headed on the designated 'the story resumes here' area I was able to completely decimate the opposition the Org Member sent after me & felt awesome doing so.

Then headed on the final boss area where once again, Sora, Donald & Goofy's inclusion felt rather token, but I didn't care.  That one section made the world for me, & I hope it's something they do more of in future.

On to the Big Hero 6 world now, where I have hopes that not being shackled to the movies plot may mean that Sora & Co can actually have something to do storywise, but more unique experiences like the one that the Pirates world had would be good to... or maybe both?  Heh, I can dream. 

• 9 months later...

I bought the all in one collection last week.

Having never played the series before or even understood what the gameplay was like I was very surprised at how well the original game stood up to today’s standards. (apart from the starting island which is really sonic Dreamcast era hub world trash)

Some of the boss fights nearly had me give up but the thought of leaving it unfinished pushed me forward and I finally completed it last night.

It felt so good. Not been challenged like that sine Bloodborne.

Straight after I started the next game which was Re Chains of Memories.

Just what the fudge is the idea with the card bullshit. I heard it was a card game yesterday at work and thought, well that sounds cool, I’m up for a card battle but this is just about unplayable for me.

So disappointed. Take the card bullshit out and I’d be fine with semi random battles in areas.

So now I’m watch the 3589494/2 movie thing and it’s all getting a bit “wtf you talking about?” But I get the general idea....just about. Awful voice acting.

Next up...KH 2.5 remix

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I finally made it through the remixes and upto 0.2 birth by sleep and so I started this today.

On PS5 it’s running at 60fps and looks stunning. Did they add in HDR on PlayStation because the brute force PS5 HDR is doing a great job if not. 

I really like the combat, it’s basically Birth By Sleep remake combat.

So far I don’t get the negativity in this thread one bit. If they do just dump the Disney and go full on jrpg plot spaghettini the. I might change my mind.

did the add on Re-mind do anything for anyone?