IGNORED

Custom soundtracks

Ste Pickford

Yeah, that one. Or failing that (because that won't work), you'll just have to pick up a £20 CD player for all those custom soundtrack times you deem necessary.

Most games don't need them, the few that do are the ones where the music is not important.

you expect someone who has his sound setup like he does to settle for the sound quality on a £20 stereo when i can listen to better quality through the setup i already have with no fuss.

So what you're saying is, no custom soundtracks, but if you don't like the music given, switch it off and play your own stuff on the CD player?

Why not cut out the middleman/CD player?

Because why should the team creating a game, where they feel the music is crucial to the experience, add in options to ruin their game?

Why not DVDs? Why not CDs with remix options? Why?

Because the developers don't want their work ruined. Same with games.

In a number of genres I'm for it, as I've said, but I don't see why developers should put in extra work just so that people can play an inferior version of their games. It makes no sense.

Yeah, that one. Or failing that (because that won't work), you'll just have to pick up a £20 CD player for all those custom soundtrack times you deem necessary.

Most games don't need them, the few that do are the ones where the music is not important.

I really don't see the hostility here. You get a nice feature for free and still complaining? Why the hell would you pick up a CD player when you can, if you want, have you own music in the game, nicely synched to starting and finishing levels? It works better this way: in PGR2 you get the menu-music, then your own music during the race and then PGR2's post-race tune afterwards. That way you still get the PGR2 tunes, but your own favourites while driving.

I guess some people can bitch about anything...

I'm not against it in certain genres.

I'm only against their inclusion in every game, because it's a waste of the developer's time.

NOW - if a console manufacturer made it very, very easy for every game to have custom soundtracks by use of one line of code for the developer, I'd have no problems. But even then, there'll be developers who just won't stand for it.

but we're all arguing the same damn points. no custom soundtracks in games that don't need it. dur.

As for DVD's not needing a custom soundtrack well dur. It's a completely different medium.

I was arguing with Cadmium Lemon, who wants custom soundtracks in every game.

Hence my argument that DVDs don't have them - for the very reason every game doesn't have them.

It all came to a head when the beta for steel battlion: LOC turned up. Driving games and whatnot were all entertaining places for custom soundtracks but nothing had reached my previous pinnacle of custom music gaming: Quake over the Uni. res-net whilst listening to Machine Head.

Then I fired up my Deceider, locked some weapons on currykittens' scurrying ass and let rip with shells and machine guns to Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom. Then it was gaming by moments again:

That turn I didnt make as my mech slammed into the floor, Rob Zombie playing in time to the shells hitting my sliding carcass,

The surprise powerup behind some american guy and point blank explosions whilst KMFDM threathened my foundations

The horror of turning the corner to find that "easy target" is in fact twice your size and moving at twice your speed, the shreik, the chase and inevitable death one jump from safety all to the orchestral terror of Dimmu Borgir.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo. Good.

It all came to a head when the beta for steel battlion: LOC turned up. Driving games and whatnot were all entertaining places for custom soundtracks but nothing had reached my previous pinnacle of custom music gaming: Quake over the Uni. res-net whilst listening to Machine Head.

Then I fired up my Deceider, locked some weapons on currykittens' scurrying ass and let rip with shells and machine guns to Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom. Then it was gaming by moments again:

That turn I didnt make as my mech slammed into the floor, Rob Zombie playing in time to the shells hitting my sliding carcass,

The surprise powerup behind some american guy and point blank explosions whilst KMFDM threathened my foundations

The horror of turning the corner to find that "easy target" is in fact twice your size and moving at twice your speed, the shreik, the chase and inevitable death one jump from safety all to the orchestral terror of Dimmu Borgir.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo. Good.

YES Steel Battalion Line of Contact has the best use of custom soundtrack. It's wicked good.

and i agree with Fry Crayola's stance on custom soundtracks in all games. it would ruin an artform.

Firstly, ripping songs to the XBox is a piece of piss. You don't habe to name them, you just rip them, and arrange them to suit. Doddle.

Actually, Beertiger has explained the bit I wasn't getting - if you have your console going through your amp then you can't listen to your CD player at the same time. I don't have mine set up that way so it didn't occur to me, but I guess that is the optimal, perfect setup.

That's the answer I guess, thanks!

But the ripping thing. I wasn't saying ripping was hard, it is just hassle. I understand how to do it, but you haven't convinced my that this isn't more hassle than simply pressing play. If you listen to a lot of music and have lot of CDs then surely you are more likely to have your current favourite in or around you CD player than already ripped to a limited size hard disk?

Tiger Woods 2004 has a random custom soundtrack feature which is excellent. It's strange how almost all kinds of music seem to work well with it - the best two I found were Dave Clarke and Steely Dan :huh: . I never bother with the track by track soundtracks favoured by almost everything else.

Saving CDs onto the hard disc is excellent for me, minimum wear and tear on the CDs, easy to file and the ability to find tracks instantly. I've now got about 1000 blocks left and about 110 albums on it.

but we're all arguing the same damn points. no custom soundtracks in games that don't need it. dur.

As for DVD's not needing a custom soundtrack well dur. It's a completely different medium.

I was arguing with Cadmium Lemon, who wants custom soundtracks in every game.

Hence my argument that DVDs don't have them - for the very reason every game doesn't have them.

Gah. I can feel myself being sucked into an argument here. Anyway...

Games are not films. The're not, it's ridiculous to compare them. They're interactive. Films aren't.

If the developer feels that the music is essential to a game, that's great. I'm really happy they take such pride in their work. But they're wrong. The only person who can make that choice is the person who's paid £40 for their product, and if the consumer doesn't want to listen to that fucking egg song in Jet Set Radio Future, they should have that choice. The same applies to incidental music. I can't think of a single game, in the history of ever, that had music that was essential to the gameplay, with the obvious exception of rhythm action games.

And if it's not essential, you can change it. Halo won't become an objectively worse game if you change the music. You might think it will, but it's a subjective opinion, and consequently it's a decision which should be left in the hands of the consumer. As I said the last time I had this discussion, if it bothers the developer that much, have custom soundtracks as an unlockable on completion of the game. But for God's sake, have them somewhere.

If you listen to a lot of music and have lot of CDs then surely you are more likely to have your current favourite in or around you CD player than already ripped to a limited size hard disk?

i wouldn't call 160GB limited now, would you?

Besides it's easy as i can transfer the songs from my PC (ripped for iPod) to the xbox hard drive with no fuss at all.

Also another bonus for ripped tracks over cd playing in background (and someone needs to confirm this as i only have the PS2 version) in Burnout 2 when you did burnout the music speed up a little and got louder, more intense.

Now i know xbox version has custom soundtracks but does it do anything to the music when burning out? If not then file this under an arguement agains't custom soundtracks.

And if it's not essential, you can change it. Halo won't become an objectively worse game if you change the music.

I disagree.

The first time you into this huge hall with the holographic projections of Halo and the cinematic starts with the choir-music kicking in, it's a moment of pure jaw-dropping awe. If you replace it with the Cheeky Girls the emotional impact would be hugely diminished. Sure, objective the game would be alike (gameplay, tactics), but the emotional, subjective part is maybe more important than the objective bits. The emotion is what binds you to the game and keeps you coming back.

I can't think of a single game, in the history of ever, that had music that was essential to the gameplay, with the obvious exception of rhythm action games.

Zelda; OoT and MM and WW. All integrate the music into the game, and make it an essential part of the game. You could still play the game if you were deaf or listening to your own music, but you'd be missing a very big part of the experience.

However, I don't necessarily disagree. I dislike a lot of game music and turn it off the first chance I get. People clearly want to listen to their own background music (when the music is just background music, like most games), but as a developer you want people to experience the product you created.

I just found the HD ripping thing a mystery.

I disagree.

The first time you into this huge hall with the holographic projections of Halo and the cinematic starts with the choir-music kicking in, it's a moment of pure jaw-dropping awe. If you replace it with the Cheeky Girls the emotional impact would be hugely diminished. Sure, objective the game would be alike (gameplay, tactics), but the emotional, subjective part is maybe more important than the objective bits. The emotion is what binds you to the game and keeps you coming back.

You know, I wouldn't have changed the music in Halo for the world. But when I'd completed it? Then it's time to crack out the Public Enemy, and unleash my inner Chuck on those Covenant scum. Or maybe I'd stick on some Cocteau Twins, and etherally float through the Halo level, in a not-very-appropriate-to-the-gameplay-at-all sort of way.

Damn, that'd be brilliant!. Playing Halo over a Cocteau Twins souindtrack. Case closed, M'lud.

:huh:

I play most xbox games that have custom soundtracks using my own songs, bar Tony Hawks Underground. On counterstrike it's nice cause although you can't hear stuff as well eg footsteps, it makes it less boring when you die or whatever.

Also most games that have music for atmosphere etc don't allow custom soundtracks.

Zelda; OoT and MM and WW. All integrate the music into the game, and make it an essential part of the game.

Well, I take your point, but ish. It's not so much the music that's integral, as the Ocarina/Baton sound effects, and you could fade yer soundtrack down at the appropriate points.

Again, I'd love to play Wind Waker to the Cocteau Twins. Or maybe the Pixies - "I'm the Hero Of Time, but I also enjoy shouty hispanic grunge..."

Yep, that'd be great.

i wouldn't call 160GB limited now, would you?

Besides it's easy as i can transfer the songs from my PC (ripped for iPod) to the xbox hard drive with no fuss at all.

Can the Xbox use the extra space of a larger Hard Disk. I have a 40gb HD in mine but it only uses the 8gb Partition. :huh:

Multiplayer gaming is far better with custom soundtracks, I'd love it if had Pro Evo had the option, as with Top Spin.

Maybe make Custom Soundtracks an unlockable extra at the end of a game like Halo after completing it with the original music first. Multiplayer would be more interesting with a soundtrack of Slayer or DJ Scud.

Now i know xbox version has custom soundtracks but does it do anything to the music when burning out? If not then file this under an arguement agains't custom soundtracks.

Hell yeah, and sounds excellent when the whooshing noise kicks in in time with the beat. I love my burnout custom soundtrack.

It really depends on the game, games like halo need their musical score to set the scene or atmoshphere, could you imagine playing the epic battles to 'I wana be a hippy'? while something like PGR goes well with fast drum and bass/garage/techno tunes.

GTA3/VC integrate the custom soundtrack feature excellently. It's great to get in a car and hear one of your tunes playing at random (by the way, this feature worked better in the PC versions. All your MP3s run at random in real-time, even if you don't happened to be tuned to that station. On the Xbox it always starts from CD1 Track1 every time you turn the console off and on again)

Custom soundtracks can potentially be used in other clever ways. In a game like Max Payne 2, you could walk past a small wireless radio and hear a tinny rendition of one of your own tunes. Or you could go into a nightclub and it would be booming out one of your songs, with bass pumped up to the max.

Admittedly, this would be crap if the game selected Travis.

When I was bored, I grabbed my mic. and did a bit of radio-like chattering, burned it on a CD-RW and created my own radio station for GTA VC/ III.

It really is fucking great to hear yourself talking and announce the next songs, or do a weather report, or talk to my friend about the commodore, or... or... or...