Gamers, Writers, Streamers, Artists Wanted

Badger

Hi,

Posted with the kind permission of the Council of Rllmuk

Several years ago, a number of Rllmuk forumites came together to create an online magazine called Disposable Media. And my contributions aside, it was really good (You can still view/download at http://www.disposablemedia.co.uk/magazine-downloads/ )

Some of us were already working in journalism and the magazine industry, and other contributors have gone on to run the likes of Pocket Gamer and Gamespot UK. And if various job offers, family commitments and other things hadn't got in the way, it would have gone on to far greater success.

Since then, I've launched a number of niche websites covering videogames, cars and other topics. And I've also now brought back Disposable Media. And I'm lucky enough to already have a forumite or two contributing, particularly to OnlineRaceDriver.com

Which is where the call for contributors comes in:

I/We need writers, video creators, artists etc to contribute anything you can. It can be as small or as large commitment as you're comfortable with...

In return, we can offer constructive help from industry professionals (My jobs include various writing gigs and working as a paid tutor for journalism and marketing courses), free events, the chance to interview notable people, free music, free books and comics, free videogames, and a place where you can start building a career in anything creative (We won't turn away any web developers who might also want to help out, or anyone who fancies working in ad sales!).

And the plan for all the sites, and the company behind it, is to become an 'employee owned' company. In a way it's similar to the Rllmuk set-up. Basically, once we establish a reasonable profit, not only would you be paid for your contributions, but you'd also get shares and a say in everything the company does.

That's the plan - but it needs your help.

If you're interested, but don't want to reply publicly, drop me a PM.

I've written about games before (including for the PDF ugvm magazine) and write a lot of shit for my gaming diary. I'd love to have a go at maybe doing something a little more professional - reviews or something?

I might be interested in this (art).

Can send some examples of work etc.

Funnily enough, I was just checking out your Luigi and Mario projects and thinking they are the kind of things we used to feature and should start promoting again!

All art submissions are really valued, as well as any help in choosing which to feature. I can do anything with words, but my lack of artistic skills make me reluctant to inflict my tastes on people...

Email is dan.thornton at hotmodmedia dot com.

I've written about games before (including for the PDF ugvm magazine) and write a lot of shit for my gaming diary. I'd love to have a go at maybe doing something a little more professional - reviews or something?

That would be great - reviews are definitely lacking at the minute, and we're regularly offered review copies which I've had to turn down on numerous occasions because I knew I'd never get to them...

But only if you also let us re-publish the ShenMue Livechat series :)

Funnily enough, I was just checking out your Luigi and Mario projects and thinking they are the kind of things we used to feature and should start promoting again!

All art submissions are really valued, as well as any help in choosing which to feature. I can do anything with words, but my lack of artistic skills make me reluctant to inflict my tastes on people...

Email is dan.thornton at hotmodmedia dot com.

Super - will fire a email over this week. Ace!

Many years ago, and I'm talking nearly 17 years, I used to write for a couple of now defunct gaming websites.

Would love to get back into it, in some fashion, as I feel I've been sorely lacking a creative outlet. Happy to do articles/reviews if you'd have me.

Many years ago, and I'm talking nearly 17 years, I used to write for a couple of now defunct gaming websites.

Would love to get back into it, in some fashion, as I feel I've been sorely lacking a creative outlet. Happy to do articles/reviews if you'd have me.

Consider yourself had!

The glory days of DM were about 7-8 years ago, and I started writing for websites back in 2001, so you're not alone.

In fact, my first published print article was for the Official Dreamcast Magazine....

We manage everything via a Slack group, so if everyone can PM their favourite email address to me, I'll send out invites today (Probably this evening after I get back from a work meeting)....

Super - will fire a email over this week. Ace!

Will look forward to it - if you're interested in helping out with the Art section on a regular basis by publishing contributions from other people, just let me know and I'll add you to the Slack group...

That would be great - reviews are definitely lacking at the minute, and we're regularly offered review copies which I've had to turn down on numerous occasions because I knew I'd never get to them...

But only if you also let us re-publish the ShenMue Livechat series :)

Of course you can republish them :)

Well, if you want me to review anything, I've every console except an Xbone, so happy to try whatever.

I'm... possibly interested. I always worry about saying yes to stuff and then not properly committing or doing anything, but I'd be willing to try. :D

Aside from my own personal endeavours I haven't done much writing since Gamerdork, but I was once the games editor for some magazine called Disposable Media. ;) and with my limited collection of machines I'd be happy to have a go at contributing some PS4/PC/ (lol)Vita reviews or opinion pieces or something. I do broadcast streams and create video content on my own YT channel but right now it's pretty much raw captures from PS4's ShareFactory :blush: until I can get an Elgato or whatever. (I still have some basic editing software on the PC though :P )

I'd be up for this. I used to be a dvd reviewer for the AV Forums, but I'm not sure if any of my old reviews are still up on their site to view (in fact - you can see one here: .https://www.avforums.com/threads/onibaba-criterion-collection-region-1-dvd-review.130727/) Since having a little lad, I've had to put my creative writing juices aside, but now he's 8 I have a bit more time for gaming (and writing).

I might be able to help on the video production side of things too - that's my full-time job - videography and photography, mainly weddings to be fair, but quite a lot of corporate and some web stuff too. I've got full editing facilities at home....

What sort of artists are you looking for? I'm guessing it's mainly people with more illustration style skills, typography, layouts etc?

Anything that can be displayed on a website in some way.

Illustration, typography and layouts will help the website, and potentially lead to the magazine returning online and maybe in print.

But the Art section can include anything - street art, pottery, caligraphy, collage. And it doesn't have to be game related.

I'm... possibly interested. I always worry about saying yes to stuff and then not properly committing or doing anything, but I'd be willing to try. :D

Aside from my own personal endeavours I haven't done much writing since Gamerdork, but I was once the games editor for some magazine called Disposable Media. ;) and with my limited collection of machines I'd be happy to have a go at contributing some PS4/PC/ (lol)Vita reviews or opinion pieces or something. I do broadcast streams and create video content on my own YT channel but right now it's pretty much raw captures from PS4's ShareFactory :blush: until I can get an Elgato or whatever. (I still have some basic editing software on the PC though :P )

It would be a pleasure to have an old hand back with us... just let me know what your current email address is... One of the other original team is lurking, if not actively doing anything yet, and there are one or two I still keep in touch with who might be prodded out of retirement...

I can write about games. I have nothing better to do. I have no experience but Jim Miles once sang to me over xbox live because he wanted me to write a new blog post because he liked it so much.

I've never had Jim Miles sing to me over anything. :(

He did once suggest someone try and walk into my house via a full length window, but thankfully I stopped him before any damage occurred....

PM emails for Slack invites and we'll get cracking. Or blogging. Cracking sounds better though...

I can do pictures, pick me, pick me!

Can you send your email, PM me, PM me!

Think I've replied to everyone so far, and it's great to see such enthusiasm :)

It's worth saying that DM isn't purely about games - we can cover films that don't feature videogames in them, music which isn't from a game soundtrack, and art which is nothing to do with games...

But we might cover some gaming stuff too....

I would be interested in contributing as a writer. I have experience in print magazines - PC Format, PC Gamer and a couple of reviews for EDGE. Although it was a long time ago now (I stopped working for Future in 1997), it's always been something I regret not persevering with. So I am offering my services to you, if you need them. Am also a bit of a film geek, so happy to write about films too. :)

I would be interested in contributing as a writer. I have experience in print magazines - PC Format, PC Gamer and a couple of reviews for EDGE. Although it was a long time ago now (I stopped working for Future in 1997), it's always been something I regret not persevering with. So I am offering my services to you, if you need them. Am also a bit of a film geek, so happy to write about films too. :)

Sounds perfect. Although I would have expect jazz albums rather than films :)

PM an email and I'll get you a Slack invite...

I feel like I would like to contribute in some way, though I don't have any professional writing experience or pedigree. Don't know if I'm up to the job, but would like to give it a shot. Perhaps something in a feature rather than a review?

Features are great.

And the important things are enthusiasm and a willingness to try. You're not the only one who wants to give it a shot for the first time, and there's a few of us to provide support and help as you go :)

I make a good cup of tea.

You still owe me a Forza Horizon review, ya silly sausage.

But if you're interested, I suspect OnlineRaceDriver.com would have a use for you :)

Right. I think most people have PM'd and now have Slack invites.

If not, PM me again or shout.

And despite the fantastic and overwhelming response so far, we can always use more people - there's never enough bodies, and I have more than 1 site available to be filled :)

If you've never done anything similar before, don't worry. Learning while you go is the best way :)

Definitely interested in this, have a lot of downtime with the job I'm in and have been looking for ways to spend it more creatively. I also happen to have a Journalism degree that as of yet has not seen any use as I don't plan on going into that particular industry anymore so would be good to scratch that writing itch I've had for a while.

Have been wanting to stream for a while as well but don't have the equipment for it as of yet, potentially something to look at for the future maybe. Would be good to get involved with a creative community to share ideas etc as well, don't get much of that at the moment.

Definitely interested in this, have a lot of downtime with the job I'm in and have been looking for ways to spend it more creatively. I also happen to have a Journalism degree that as of yet has not seen any use as I don't plan on going into that particular industry anymore so would be good to scratch that writing itch I've had for a while.

Have been wanting to stream for a while as well but don't have the equipment for it as of yet, potentially something to look at for the future maybe. Would be good to get involved with a creative community to share ideas etc as well, don't get much of that at the moment.

Cool - PM an email address and you'll get an invite into our Slack community to get started on your itches...