Pokemon Go

rgraves

The new system was working really well for me. I've had 2 or 3 gyms held for a few days which is unheard of out in the sticks. Being able to level them myself quickly has worked really well. I managed to take a 3 'mon level 4 gym to level 7 in a matter of minutes. I got 3200 the first battle and 3600 the second. Managed to get my daughter a slot too so she claimed her first ever gym reward and a random walked along and stuck a 1600 vaporean in there too. Back down to 0 this morning though so now

Yeah it is nice that it's easier to train gyms, the new training does feel much better. And the CP scalaing stuff must be really good for lower level trainers. I just think we need a bit more than a few XP and some pride to stand there for 60-90 minutes taking down level 10 gyms. So many gyms are just sitting there at 10 now and that's good for those 10 people collecting rewards every day for no effort, but makes for a really stale gym scene.

Right now the balance between how easy is it to train and battle gyms is much better than it was. I think incentivising taking down stagnant gyms is the next step though.

A tweet I read today reminded me that the Pokedex keeps track of the numbers of seen and caught pokemon for each type. I thought I'd look at the Pidgeys for mad stats only to discover that I'd seen 450 and caught 385. That doesn't seem right at all.

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

A tweet I read today reminded me that the Pokedex keeps track of the numbers of seen and caught pokemon for each type. I thought I'd look at the Pidgeys for mad stats only to discover that I'd seen 450 and caught 385. That doesn't seem right at all.

You've probably encountered three times that many, but not bothered tapping on them. Mine is at 268/329.

I don't think it counts as seen unless you tap on them. Remember pokemon in gyms count towards your seen total, though for pidgys I guess that doesn't make much difference. For comparison mine is 1103 / 954, so your ratio seems pretty expected.

Quite chuffed at single-handedly taking down my nearest gym tonight - level 6 with all 2000+ Pokemon in it and me with just one at barely above 2000, the rest 1800-1975. Tried to switch Pokemon just before they fainted to avoid using too many revives as I have loads of potions. Their Flareon went down easily, had a bit of trouble with 2 Vaporeons as my Electrabuzzes are a bit low on CP then waltzed through Exeggcute before slogging my way past Snorlax and Dragonite (at 2700+ CP). 

All told a fairly chilly 25 mins in the dark in a churchyard but a good outcome. I can see why other players might be put off from tackling fairly tough looking gyms but with plenty of healing and a bit of patience it isn't too hard.

I'm still not convinced by the new gym system. I've got five gyms in the park behind my house and until this update they all changed hands regularly, sometimes several times a day.  Now only one of those continues to be contested and the other four are level 10 Red strongholds and have been that way for a week.  I'm in all four, so maybe I shouldn't complain, I'm just ticking off my free Pokecoins every day, but it's basically killed that side of the game for me at the moment.

I think maybe the problem is that areas tend to get dominated by one team?  I'm sure the predominance of Red around here is because it's an Arsenal area.  Blue maintains a small presence and there are no Yellows around here at all.

9 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

Quite chuffed at single-handedly taking down my nearest gym tonight - level 6 with all 2000+ Pokemon in it and me with just one at barely above 2000, the rest 1800-1975. Tried to switch Pokemon just before they fainted to avoid using too many revives as I have loads of potions. Their Flareon went down easily, had a bit of trouble with 2 Vaporeons as my Electrabuzzes are a bit low on CP then waltzed through Exeggcute before slogging my way past Snorlax and Dragonite (at 2700+ CP). 

All told a fairly chilly 25 mins in the dark in a churchyard but a good outcome. I can see why other players might be put off from tackling fairly tough looking gyms but with plenty of healing and a bit of patience it isn't too hard.

Yeah I took down a level 7 gym last night. First time I've really tried to do that kind of thing. It was satisfying at the end, It's even now a level 4 Mystic, but it was a bit dull and I definitely got impatient and stopped bothering to dodge at times. There was a 1800 Polywrath that was a total dick to take down. A 2000 CP Snorlax, which was kinda easy to out DPS. And 5 Gyarados all between 2000 and 2200 with various move sets. I've actually discovered that Twister isn't a bad defensive move at all. The fact that the defender can spam it 3-4 times in a row sometimes is fairly annoying. Took me around 45 minutes in total, which is a little on the long side, especially in this weather because as soon as the sun goes down and you're just standing around it's pretty damn cold! I started pacing up and down while fighting to try and keep warm :). Not gonna do this too often, but razing a gym down did feel good eventually.

Was a at a gym that that had 3 Pokemon in it, all between 1000 and 1900 fire type. My 1500cp Poliwrath destroyed them in seconds dropping it from a level 3 to level 1 in one turn and taking barely any damage. Didn't know it could drop more than 1 level at a time. 

What is are everyone's least recent pokemon? It is quite interesting actually.

Notables from my list:

1. Bulbasaur - The starter one, I didn't find another for ages and by then wanted to keep my starter for bubblestrat potential.

2. Tentacool - No idea why this has stood the test of time, it obviously appraised really well but is low CP. I've caught loads since but kept this one due to it's IVs

3. Growlithe - Still the only growlithe I have ever seen.

4. Vaporean - My top vapo, the first Eevee evolution. Cam out as about 780 cp which at the time was my highest cp by a long way. It was my highest CP for ages until 2 Snorlaxs ousted it. Still 3rd though with 1700 CP

5. Golbat - Again, appraised well and I have levelled it a few times, now at 1213 CP

6. Ekans - Another one which is the only one I have ever seen

9. Voltorb

10. Electrode

11.  Hitmonlee

All of these bottom 3 were caught on holiday in the borders on Lindisfarne. I got one electrode and hitmonlee and a couple of voltorbs amoung a few magnemites too. I haven't come across a Hitmonlee, Voltorb or Electrode since.

14 minutes ago, superstarbeejay said:

What is are everyone's least recent pokemon? It is quite interesting actually.

Pikachu, which I hatched and renamed 'Idiot' when the buddy system came in. I've just hatched another one with better CP, so I evolved that, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the older one.

Then it's a Wigglytuff and a Charmeleon, which were evolves from egg hatches, and then Cubone. I didn't get a Cubone for weeks and weeks into playing, so I must have got rid of a hell of a lot of Pokemon!

My least recent:

1. 880cp Vaporeon - have a better one now but he's still kicking about 

2-7. Pidgeys, Weedles and Caterpies - waiting to be evolved in my next lucky egg spree

8. Clefable 

9 and 10 - Eevees, have like 11 decent Eevees that are too good to transfer. Hurry up Umbreon and Espeon. 

In reverse order...

• A 450 CP Electabuzz - first really cool slightly rare find one night after a meal, was a memorable moment!
  • A 43 CP Psyduck - my first Psyduck. I ran out of work to get it. Didn't really know I'd get about 2 a day for months afterwards!
  • A 1104 CP Blastoise - evolved and powered up my starter :)

Oldest - 14CP Bulbasaur starter, haven't caught any others

235 CP Butterfree - evolved, haven't bothered evolving another, I just turn them into metapods and then send them to the candy factory

228 CP Tangela - hatched, haven't seen any others

169 CP Onix - haven't caught a better one yet. (Why is Onix so shit, they look double hard but I've never seen a good one)

Oldest - Diglett 18 July - only one I've ever caught

Magmar, 21 July, likewise

Snorlax ,21 July, likewise

Onix, 21 July, likewise 

Must've had a lucky day that day, little did I know...

next one is a Vaporeon from an Evee caught on 24 July that is now up at 1945 CP, my 5th strongest.

IN LAST PLACE ... my starting Charmander. Still the only one I've ever seen, probably the only one I'll ever see. (Caught in Las Lagunas de Mijas, Spain.)

Next to last is a Clefairy, caught 3 days later when I was back in Manchester. Again, this one is there because I've never seen another.

Then I have a 30 CP Vulpix, which was caught the next day at work. This is still knocking around as it is one of only two, and my aim is to have a Living Dex eventually. This is proving somewhat difficult, though, because WHERE THE FUCK ARE ALL THE CHARMANDERS?

Then we come to Ratbastard, my first Pikachu, and my first buddy. I have evolved another one since, because I started this journey with Pokemon Yellow and everyone knows that the Yellow Pikachu doesn't evolve.

And finally, we have LEROY, my sole Magmar. The inhabitant of my first 10k egg, and will therefore be special forever for that reason.

First time in a long time I have been free over lunch and came back to my desk instead of doing any battling. Every gym around here is level 7+ Mystic or Valor. There's nothing I can walk to, take down or prestige up, and then walk back to without taking like a 2 hour lunch. Pretty dull. Feels like the beginning of the end. Or possibly the middle of the end.

18 minutes ago, Onze said:

5th great migration has taken place.

Leading to me catching my first ever sandshrew. There is an aledged voltrob and magnemite nest about 30 mins drive from home so I'm off in a bit to see if it is true and if it has migrated. Some are migrating to ryhorn nests which would be nice.

Also there's been a big spawn decrease (roughly to the same extent as there was an increase a week or so ago) - I had 4-5 spawns per hour where I'm living before yesterday, and down to one now. Can't complain too much though, whole point of the game is to get out of the house so catching that many an hour from bed wasn't really in the spirit of the whole thing.

Gonna be tough with no trackers to get all the nests identified. And Niantic seem intent on shifting things around all the time as well. As much as I'm against trackers it would be good if there was an in-game way to identify nests. I'm on 128 in the Pokedex so if I want to push on with that I really need to find where specific pokemon spawn, and travelling all over London without much guidance or way to verify is a big time investment. Especially in the cold!

57 minutes ago, superstarbeejay said:

Leading to me catching my first ever sandshrew. There is an aledged voltrob and magnemite nest about 30 mins drive from home so I'm off in a bit to see if it is true and if it has migrated. Some are migrating to ryhorn nests which would be nice.

I'm going to see what Worden Park has to offer tomorrow.

In the last month it's been Charmander -> Exeggcute -> Sandshrew

I'm hoping for Dratini, Omanyte or Voltorb but it'll probably be a Weedle nest. :)

18 minutes ago, John0 said:

Doubt there will ever be Dratini nests again. Niantic don't want gyms even more overrun with Dragonites than they already are.

They're all Snorlaxes and Vaporeons round here.

4 hours ago, John0 said:

Doubt there will ever be Dratini nests again. Niantic don't want gyms even more overrun with Dragonites than they already are.

Yeah, round here gyms very rarely have Dragonites in.

Todays journey was a huge success. I confirmed the voltorb and magnemite nests. They were absurd, I'll post some screen grabs later. However, the phone signal was incredibly patchy so I didn't catch many. It wasn't just voltorbs and magnemites there though, it was full of rare pokemon (for around here) like vulpix, growlithe, diglets, omanytes, exeggcute, ponyta, ekans, rhyhorn, pikachu (eventually, my first and my second with 15 minutes)... I went to 2 separate locations, the 2nd on a whim, about a mile further down the coast and about 60-70% of spawns were not the usual crap. I also dropped an incense at the 2nd location and it spat out decent stuff too like exeggcute, ponyta, poliwag.

I think I'll go back again tomorrow morning and do some incense runs along the 2nd location as the signal is strong and the consistency of the spawns is incredible.

In this picture I caught everything that I saw with this hit rate over about 20 minutes (including incense).poke3.png

These 2 are screen grabs of the sightings at the first spot, not a single pidgey or weedle there.

poke2.pngpoke1.png

Caught a Bulbasaur today and then hatched one right after. Happy with that. 

Caught 4 more Squirtles and a Charmander and the 2nd ever wild Koffing I've seen. 

I'm one candy away from being able to evolve Haunter and Kadabra and 12 away from evolving Machoke

Also caught a new Mon today, my first Lickitung. Only 700cp but was one I've needed.